Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Price breakdown (Kia Kirkland WA) looking for advice.

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by Angelo In Seattle, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Angelo In Seattle

Angelo In Seattle United States Newish Member

Hey, guys, my name is Angelo. I just got back from Kia in Kirkland Washington. Looking at a Stinger GT1 AWD Panther Metal color.

Long and short, had to haggle a bit to score a $2000 rebate only if I financed through KIA. You can see the break down on the attached image. I don't know how some guys are looking at 48-50k vehicles and walking out the door signed for 42k.

Some said Baloon financing, but this dealer made no mention. Another thread mentioned the rebates for July and again never saw these numbers at the dealer.

Really like the car, but I want a fair shake, and for it to be as close to 40k as possible. Can it be done?

Thanks for all the help guys, I am continuing to educate myself on the existing threads.

Supposedly Balloon Financing is not legal in WA?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

You should be able to get 2-4 k off MSRP on top of your rebate. I bought there as well and just showed them a gt2 marked down 3k in Bellingham and they matched. When i bought mine Lee Johnson Kirkland was marking down a blue GT by $3800 since they had it a while. Use autotrader online to find other dealers deals.

3. Angelo In Seattle

Thats the thing, the only incentive/rebate was to finance in-house, and all it was, was 2000. Beyond that, it was practically nothing else. So I am not sure where all these posts are coming from highlighting these amazing OTD prices.

4. Tonkabob

I had no rebates and negotiated 3k off. The big money is from kia in the lease deal, $6500 i think. But then you would want to buy out the lease immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angelo In Seattle

Quoted email response from Kirkland. This seems like an even worse deal?

"Hi Angelo,

Lease credit is available on this Stinger.It is $5,500 not compatible with the purchase credit we showed you earlier today.

Your Lease Capital Cost on this vehicle would be $39,308.

At the end of your 3 year lease, you can buy the vehicle for 54% of the MSRP, plus Tax and $300 processing fee from Kia."

Would you rather go this direction?

6. Tonkabob

Yes, but you still have to negotiate a better price and have a way to buy out the lease immediately - Line up another loan.

7. Angelo In Seattle

I have the funds lined up to be clear from the lease right away. The thing is how can I get the dealer to issue me the lease, when all said and done equal as close to 40-42k as possible? Thats where it all grinds to a halt. If the best price he could do (pictured in first post) then why would he not have offered the lease buyout option? I even specifically asked for it, and not much came about.

8. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Hey Angelo, I suggest you call Smith KIA up in Bellingham. Looks like they have two GT1 AWD's in Panthera Metal in stock:
    New Kia for Sale - Bellingham Kia vehicles - Smith Kia

I bought my Stinger at Smith KIA and was very happy with the transaction. Actually, I did a lease then buyout. That enabled me to get a good discount off MSRP (this was a discount off MSRP by the dealer, not a rebate from KIA), plus the Lease Incentive.

The process was smooth and easy. I called Smith KIA in the afternoon one day, negotiated the deal, they emailed me the offer sheet, and I emailed them my credit info. The next morning I drove up, signed the papers and then drove back to Seattle in my new Stinger with a big smile on my face.

If you want karma points, I encourage you to wait a couple of months before you buy out the lease. This is because if you buy out the lease right away, KIA apparently makes the dealer eat a big chunk of the Lease Incentive. By waiting an extra month or two, you help protect the dealer from taking a loss. You still got the great deal, and the dealer isn't punished for giving you the deal. In turn, that encourages the dealer to continue offering good deals to subsequent customers.

Bellingham is only 90 minutes North of Seattle, and the drive up to get a better deal there can definitely be worth it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

Hm. I bought mine from Lee Johnson Kia. I bought out our lease and our salesman even pointed out how this would save money. That lease cash has NOTHING to do with their profit/loss. Who are you working with? I hate to say it, but you may be best served by going straight to the sales mgr. as that doesn't sound right....

10. Angelo In Seattle

Already on my list, have already completed an inquiry. The one time I am bummed about tomorrow being a holiday lol... But July 6th will be here soon. I will keep you all posted.

Edit: @Rufus, I was working with Braulio Arias the Assistant Sales Manager. In his last email after I said hey look best I can do begrudgingly is 43.5K.

His response was "Hi Angelo, Unfortunately, your budget of 43K OTD on this Stinger is unrealistic. This means you looking at a difference of $5320. Would you consider a Premium Package? Or perhaps an Optima SXL?"

I am scratching my head here, am I in the wrong for (in his eyes) such a ridiculous counter? I felt I was in the right here, I'm new to the Stinger scene so forgive me if it obvious to you all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. SEA Stinger

@Rufus, I talked to Lee Johnson KIA in Kirkland when I was shopping for my Stinger. The salesperson and sales manager at Lee Johnson wouldn't play ball with me, so I ended up doing my deal with Smith KIA in Bellingham instead.

Sounds like the sales group at Lee Johnson is treating Angelo similar to the way they treated me. Maybe they'll become more willing to negotiate with him, but if they don't, Smith KIA is a great alternative.

Also, as I noted in my post above, if a lessee buys out the lease right away, the dealer can be liable for a share of the Lease Incentive. I suspect that might be what's keeping Lee Johnson from agreeing to a discount off MSRP in addition to a Lease Incentive, especially if they're aware he would do an immediate buyout.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Tonkabob

Lee would only play ball with a compatative offer but they didnt tell me about the lease deal and i payed cash. I found out about the lease a week later when joining the forum.
    Just dont go south to Renton. Lee Johnson was quick and easy for me. I made my offer before going in and the accepted before i arrived. Quick and easy.

13. Angelo In Seattle

Im talking with Chuck Olson Kia, and plan to phone over to Bellingham Thursday. Any of you have a point of contact for Bell?

14. SEA Stinger

Smith KIA is a much smaller dealer than Lee Johnson. The salesperson who helped me is Matt (@PICKLES). He was very responsive and quite knowledgeable about the Stinger.

Any salesperson that you talk to on the phone up there will be working directly under the manager. Shorter chain of command, plus good customer service ethic results in more responsiveness.

15. Angelo In Seattle

Thanks for all the advice and moral support guys. Up till now, I was like wow am I way outside the range here. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rufus

Sounds like an almost completely different experience from ours. That's a bummer. Buy glad you are making use of this forum, and keep us posted! :thumbup:

17. Original Poster

Original Poster United States Member

I know others have had issues with Car Pros in Renton, but my experience there was similar to most of what people are saying about Lee Johnson. On the flip side, I bought my Mazdaspeed 3 from Lee Johnson in 2008 and it ended up being the worst dealer experience I have ever had where I still purchased the car from that dealer.

18. Angelo In Seattle

Hi Angelo,

This specially priced 2018 Kia Stinger GT (K180742) has an MSRP of $47,035 and a Lee Johnson Discount of $2,227 bringing the sale price before incentives down to $44,808.

Your choice of incentives are as follows…

$2,000 KMF Bonus Cash and 3.9% for 60mo or 4.9% for 75mo OAC.

$5,500 KMF Singer GT1 36mo Lease Cash OAC. (This appears to be what your friend did and probably the best option for what you are trying to accomplish)

$0 and .9% for up to 75mo OAC.

Once you have chosen the incentive option that works best for you your only additional cost would be the 10.3% King County automobile sales tax, licensing of $400-$800 depending on your residence $399 secure guard and $150 documentation fee.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a visit to work out the final details and take delivery of your new Stinger.

How does this look? Im thinking the lease to own route, but I wonder what the taxes will be when you buyout the lease?

19. Rufus

For us, there were no hidden tax surprises. The total sales tax is computed into the payment. Buying out the terms of the lease means paying off the residual. When we bought ours out, the price reflected included the tax--we weren't dinged a 2nd time by the DOL. :)

20. Angelo In Seattle

Rough crunching of the numbers I did, (may be errors) was the sale price:

-5500 (KMF Rebate)
    + 10.3% Tax
    +150 (Doc Fee)
    + ~ 400-800 (Licensing)

Roughly 44K out the door. Does that sound right to you all, do you think this is a deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted