Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Platinum Plus warranty

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by A-10Wingman, Sep 6, 2018.

1. A-10Wingman

A-10Wingman United States Member

Hello all,

New Stinger owner here (about two weeks now) and I wanted to know if anyone else purchased the Platinum Plus warranty through Kia? It extends the bumper to bumper to 60k miles and some other things. I was told that it covered all wear and tear items on the vehicle (breaks, tires, calipers etc) After research I am finding that this is not true.

The dealer was trying to charge me $1,500 for this but that was too much. After going back and forth I was able to get it for $650, not bad. I am still trying to find more information on this warranty and decide if I want to keep it or not. If i cancel it, I get the $650 back toward the principal of my loan.

I'm not sure what i want to do.

2. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

The bumper to bumper is already 60K..should extend it to 100K

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. smmrfld

smmrfld United States Member

Ripoff, as most of these things are. Great for dealer profit, bad for you. Avoid IMO.

4. Ruturaj

Ruturaj India Active Member

Kia Extended factory warranty is actually a pretty good deal.

5. smmrfld

These are rarely a good deal for the consumer. If they were, they wouldn’t be offered and pushed so hard by dealers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ruturaj

Almost every other warranty yes. Kia and Hyundai extended warranty no. I am well aware of the warranty, the probability of breakdown, costs, deductibles, and the actual repairs. Stingers extended warranty comes at 1500 if you bargain and for 52k (GT2 AWD) vehicle I would say will be very useful. Search on google and read the opinions of owners (Genesis, Sonata etc) about extended warranty.

7. smmrfld

See the OP. There is so much profit built into these that he got it down to $650 and they’ll still do well. Re many of the posts, those who have bought these dealer profit-builders want to justify their purchases. But it’s your money to throw away...much better ways to spend IMO.

8. Ruturaj

I don't know what warranty OP is getting. I was talking about Kia extended platinum warranty cost 1500 which extends bumper to bumper warranty to 10 years/100k miles with few exceptions. Please read threads on company warranty from Hyundai and Kia.

Again I am well aware of repairs on cars, chances that car would break, how shitty 3ed party extended warranties are with deductibles.

9. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

yea, if you deny it the first time, they will come down big in price on the second go around. I understand though that the dealer does get a big kickback from selling these. Also, if the company didn't make money off of it, they wouldn't sell them. When I was selling cars, you got bonuses for every one you sold with a new car..it's definitely a cash cow for everybody at the dealership and manufacturer alike.

10. A-10Wingman

A-10Wingman United States Member

But to keep it or not? Thinking for the price I paid just to keep it.

11. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

You need to read the contract and see what it covers. I purchased the Platinum Plus Coverage also and it was a 4yr 60K (because i Leased initially so they wouldnt give longer) and it does cover MUCH more then the standard Bumper to Bumper. Here is a pic showing what else is covered...I paid only $400 for mine as i told the finance dude that since it was Friday at the end of the day i am certain he has gotten many other suckers to pay the premium so he can give this one to me at cost. He laughed so hard and basically gave it to me for $1 over cost. At least that is what he said. In the end i paid $400. The inclusion of Alignment, and battery replacement alone will cover the $400. not to mention one set of brake pads, wiper blades, unlimited bulbs and fuses (prob not much use here) and one key repair or replacement per year. It also includes all belts and hoses. I called Fidelity and spoke with them about all of this and th contract can be exercised even without mechanical failure. Basically the guy from Fidelity told me to take the care in at 58K and have everything done. Can use a dealer or any shop of your choosing.

By the way, one key replacement would cost in excess of $400 so there is no way i am losing money on this deal.

Make certain yours includes the freebies stated above and even at $650 i think you are ahead of the game. BUT you must make certain to make use the items. None of this assumes something mechanical actually goes wrong with the car. If that happens then even more worth it.

2018-03-07_8-29-11.jpg 2018-03-07_8-29-26.jpg

12. Unclekeg

Unclekeg United States Newish Member

How do you purchase the platinum plan direct from Kia? I bought a 2018 last month. The dealership was selling an extended warranty to 100K from Warrentech. That company sounds like a nightmare based on some basic googling.

The Kia platinum warranty only seems to be for certified preowned Kias.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  13. look30

look30 United States Newish Member

I was offered the Platinum but 3rd party and $100 deductible for $2500 And won’t budge any lower so I said no. For Stinger base that was 10% of negotiated price which is insane.

My question to you is if is possible to buy a warranty trough a different dealer , preferably backed by Kia.

14. Ruturaj

You can buy from any dealer.

15. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

16. Unclekeg

Unclekeg United States Newish Member

My dealer sells Warrentech warranties. I have not heard a lot of good. I was hoping I could buy a warranty from Kia... I thought it existed based on their warranty for CPO cars... I could be wrong.

17. look30

look30 United States Newish Member

Interesting development, when I added my new Stinger to Geico insurance they adde Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for $39/6 months renewable for up to 7 years or 100k miles. There is a $250 deductible in case is used and kicks in after warranty if needed. I wasn’t even aware they added this but what the heck at $6.5 per month it is worth having it and covers any mechanical issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted