kia stinger store

Parking the car for 1 month

ezreazy

Hey guys, I'm going to be away for a month and wanted to get your opinions on what I should do regarding the battery...

This kinda blindsided me because I planned to just use a trickle charger but I found out I don't have an outlet I can use for my parking spot.

Just wanted to get your opinions on whether I should disconnect the battery or not as I've gotten mixed answers when asking people. Some guys said 1 month should be fine and it should start up just fine and I've read online that I should probably disconnect the battery when gone longer than 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stinger? Will the car's battery go flat in one month? It would be winter but the car is parked underground.

AtomicGTL

Ontario, Canada
If youre too concerned you can have a family member or close friends starting up the car once a week etc. Im not too aware on the battery going flat, though I think 1 month shouldn't be a problem.

I know thats what I would do anyway.

ezreazy

If youre too concerned you can have a family member or close friends starting up the car once a week etc. Im not too aware on the battery going flat, though I think 1 month shouldn't be a problem.

I know thats what I would do anyway.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone at all in the city as I've just moved here

smillie

Auckland NZ
Went to the UK for 7 weeks and left my previous (2018) Stinger in my garage while away. When I came back it started perfectly, no issues.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Go with your gut feeling. I think that one month sitting would worry me: but my battery is well over three and a half years old. I'd likely disconnect it, easy peasy (not so much with this car, though, hah).

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

D.J.

Just flip the switch on the drivers side fuse panel to off... And you are good for several months....

Easy peasy

IMG-20211109-WA0004.jpg

ChaneRZ

1000 Posts Club!
Bay Area, California
I have driven my car since July! I do have a battery tender connected.

Kamauxx

5000 Posts Club!
Hey guys, I'm going to be away for a month and wanted to get your opinions on what I should do regarding the battery...

This kinda blindsided me because I planned to just use a trickle charger but I found out I don't have an outlet I can use for my parking spot.

Just wanted to get your opinions on whether I should disconnect the battery or not as I've gotten mixed answers when asking people. Some guys said 1 month should be fine and it should start up just fine and I've read online that I should probably disconnect the battery when gone longer than 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stinger? Will the car's battery go flat in one month? It would be winter but the car is parked underground.

Just throw a $20 trickle charger on it. I parked a car for 8 months, came home, removed the charger, hopped in and she started right up.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
I've gone 3 1/2 weeks away, and like others have said, it just fires up... before you leave, go for a 30min drive (to ensure the battery is topped up) and fill it up with fuel, then park it, you will be good to go. If you are really worried buy a battery jumper pack as a back up plan.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver

I’ve gone 6/7 weeks a couple times with zero problems and it’s currently 3 weeks into another 6 week idle stint. I’m expecting no problems. So from personal experience I’m going to step out on a limb and say “you should be fine”.

D.J.

As an additional point of data......

Based on a new perfect world (new car - new battery) our batteries are 90Ah (Rated capacity of 90 amp-hours)
The maximum parasitic draw permitted per the Kia spec is "Below 50mA" (typical measurement is around 20mA)
Unless your car is broken, or you have added some non switched - always on accessories, you should be good for a very long time

At a nominal 20mA parasitic current draw - it would take 187.5 days to deplete 90Ah of energy from an excellent condition battery.

Other factors of course are present - such as self discharge - which for an AGM battery is approximately 1-2% per month.

Short version - your fine!

Last edited:

Legendsk

Deep south Texas
If you have access to sunlight, there are solar powered trickle chargers / battery minders. I have used those successfully. On a lot of cars, they just plug into the lighter socket and sit exposed on the dash, but the Stinger lighter socket is not powered when off, (at least my U.S. 2018 GT2 isn't), so you would have to get one that will attach to the battery or jumper terminal.

If you go with flipping the switch on the fuse panel, I assume you will need your key to unlock the door to get inside to enable the electronics again?