Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Ordered rebadged kit

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by DNA is Digital, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

1. DNA is Digital

DNA is Digital United States Member

Okay, so after not originally wanting to rebadge, I really dig the exotic look of the "E". I've seen some horror stories on here and I'm a little nervous to do this however.

What I've ordered: Goo Gone, 8lb fishing line, the emblem removal kit from this site

I have the GTS and only need to remove the front badge.

My questions:

Has anyone had any paint issues with the Federation orange and rebadge?

Any other protips?

Just for context, I had previously did a complete rebadged of my 2017 Optima SXL with zero issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Travis Wills

Travis Wills United States Active Member

I am rebadging my Panthera Metal tomorrow. I did the steering wheel and wheels already.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DNA is Digital

What method are you using for removal?

4. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

Take your time. Don’t rush it. Lots of goo b gone

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Travis Wills

Fishing line.

6. Vaio23

Vaio23 United States Newish Member

I used dental floss instead of fishing line. It takes more time but it is less risking of damaging paint since it is softer. I debaged mine without any marks whatsoever. Start by masking all around emblem with masking tape then use some heat and start around perimeter of emblem with dental floss. I then used a thin card (thinner than credit card) and started prying the sides. Just continue with dental floss and cards while dripping goo gone behind emblem and instead of heat gun use a hair dryer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Travis Wills

I used fishing line(15 lb test) to remove my front badge today. I broke it about 12 times. 25 lb test might have been the better choice.

I just kept sawing away at it while constantly applies pressure out away from the hood. Eventually it started to come free and then I pryed it off with a pry tool.

I used a bunch of goo-gone and a cloth to get the residue off. Using my fingernail in the cloth seemed to work best.

I tried to line up the new emblem the best I could. I used the radar sensor to help align it with the center of the hood.

I didn’t do the back logo yet. I wanted to wait till I had more time to do that. However, I have swapped out the steering wheel emblem, the wheel caps, the hood, the drive mode dial, the hood vents, and I got the audio speaker inserts for the doors as well.

I think my unique Panthera Metal Stinger looks pretty good so far. I like that it is different than anything else I have seen. BE553E25-613D-434B-B498-03384AD046C4.jpeg 9650D9F6-C1DF-42BF-91EB-8C49E8DEA400.jpeg 945153CF-60A2-4881-A5A0-88930850BB6D.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. DNA is Digital

You went all out! Looks bad ass. Waiting on my badges to come in the mail, hopefully will be working on it this weekend.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. stEgr

stEgr United States Member

Hair dryer, Loden badge removal kit, and dental floss (waxed). Be sure you're in a nice warm garage or temp is above 65F.

I did my front and rear badges at once and it was pretty quick and painless, just take your time. I found that heating the badges to get the glue soft was key in order to work the floss in and start breaking the seal on both left and right ends. Be generous with the adhesive remover. Once you get it started, start working in the ABS wedges on both sides. Work slow and keep applying heat and adhesive remover moving both wedges into the middle. Before you know it pop, off they come.

One word of caution, for any glue left over after the badge is removed, do not use any tool to remove it. Just use heat, your thumb, and more adhesive remover to roll the glue off so you don't damage the clear coat further.

Scuffing to the clear coat is unavoidable during the process. If you're OCD like me, be sure to get a nice polishing compound to buff out before attaching the new emblems.

Oh and depending on your floss, if it breaks too easy, double or triple up and twist it like a rope. Floss is cheap, expect to use a lot of it. And most important, apply pressure up towards you as you use it to minimize abrasion to the paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

Oh. so you're saying that i shouldnt have used the fork to remove the left overs? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted