1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

On the verge of buying a Stinger

Discussion in 'Canada Stinger Forum' started by WallysWorld, Feb 11, 2020.

1. WallysWorld

WallysWorld Canada Newish Member

Hello,

I have been looking at buying a 2020 GT Limited Stinger and have test driven one and liked it. But I was wondering if I could ask Canadian owners some questions before I pull the trigger on the purchase? Any replies would be appreciated.

1) I read that the gas tank for the Stinger is a bit smaller than what is usually found in cars of its size: 57 litres or 15.9 gallons. Has that been a issue (even minor) with having to fill up more often?
    2) How is the overall comfort and sound level when driving the Stinger? I liked the test drive, but it was short of course. I wouldn't be driving it daily to work, but it's definitely something I would drive on long road trips. The audio system is excellent!
    3) The cargo net is horizontal and not vertical as I expected so I guess that for people like me, the cargo organizer would be the way to go. Anyone else have the organizer?
    4) The maintenance schedule is a question mark with the severe weather one more demanding than the normal schedule. I don't anticipate driving the Stinger a lot and maybe putting on 12-14,000 kms a year so I asked the sales manager about having to follow the severe weather schedule to a 'T' for the warranty and he replied that as long as I bring it in for its scheduled maintenance on a reasonable schedule like every 8,000 to 10,000 kms, there would be no issues. He said I don't have to follow the severe weather schedule diligently.

I live in western Canada by the way. Many thanks for any and all replies.

2. Nasscar

Nasscar Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Welcome to the forum Wally. Not Canadian but I can answer some of your questions. I haven't found the tank too small but it's not my daily driver so I don't do lots of mileage. I have found the overall comfort and sound level excellent as it should be being a Grand Tourer. Sounds like the sales manager answered your maintenance schedule question. I don't live in an area with the same extreme weather but I'm sure some locals will let you know for sure. Overall the Stinger is a great car and you won't be disappointed with it if you decide to buy one. Good luck.

3. matt0127

matt0127 United States Newish Member

I fill up my tank every week, which is what I was doing before the stinger so it didn't bother me. In my opinion the road noise can sometimes be a bit loud and droning. Depends on the road. My girlfriend finally experienced it the other day and thought it was pretty bad.

4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

My brother-in-law is Canadian. Can I contribute? ;)

The "small" gas tank is a lot bigger than my capacity to drive distances between pee stops. So, no problem that way. I also gas up every week and did before. So, I haven't noticed that the tank seems "small."

Road noise compared to what I came from (years of used cars/vans) is excellent: until it turns to ridged cement, then holy Hannah! I don't even try to drown it out with the surround sound; just wait until the surface changes to something less howling. The Stinger is super comfortable. I've done six long to overkill-long road trips and this car makes it possible to not feel stiff as a corpse at the end.

5. WallysWorld

Super thanks for the comments so far. I highly value them!

I'm getting undercoating for the Stinger at the dealer which should improve the noise from the road. I've always gotten undercoating for all my new vehicles over the years.

6. Smeeps

Smeeps Canada Newish Member

Hey,

I have a 2018 GT, so a little different from the newer model you were looking at but I can answer your questions... Also might be able to give you the Canadian experience (based in Toronto)

1) i find the tank a little small especially in Winter when the average is generally low due to cold weather starts. I would have wished the tank was a little larger. The positive part is that I never feel like I am paying a lot at the pumps compared to my previous Merc.

2) overall comfort is great. I find the road noise to be very minimum but I do notice the wind noise especially when the wind speeds are high. Overall, I find it useable and not a concern for me. It makes the car feel raw and not boring.

3) do not have an organizer.

4) 8K - 10K sounds reasonable especially with the heavy salt and winter usage we have in Canada. Kia dealer in my neighbourhood have great rates on maintenance schedule.

Overall, the car is worth every penny.

7. Ulikefishsticks

Ulikefishsticks United States Active Member

You will not regret the purchase of a stinger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SPORTS

SPORTS Canada Member

1) Mine is a daily driver but I don't drive a lot and have other cars that I use so gas tank for me is not an issue (psychologically it makes you feel better to see $68.00 fill up versus $135.00 for RAM 1500 fill up lol)
    2) I have been a loyal Lexus driver for past 15 years and although, the cabin is not as quiet, the comfort level is not far off. The driver seat is an excellent fit and has great adjustability but the actual seat bottom, I would not rate the best. Haven't been on a long trip yet
    3) I don't use the cargo net because I rarely have anything in the back
    4) I would just follow the dealer schedule and that would be it

Good Luck with your decision

9. Toddasaurus

Toddasaurus United States Active Member

I vote you get a G70 instead. ;)

10. SPORTS

SPORTS Canada Member

BTW, I also love this car, haven't had it long (since last October) but I hope to enjoy for many years. I am very curious to see how it holds up over time

11. WallysWorld

Super thank for your replies and opinions. I value them very much! My mind is virtually made up to get the GT Limited. Now to decide on black or red for the exterior.

One more question please: what tint (if any) did you get for your Stinger? I am planning on tinting the back windows to 20% tint as my current Ford Fusion Sport AWD has.

12. Paihan Lee

Paihan Lee United States Active Member

I feel like the black hides the lines and curves of the Stinger. The red looks very sharp.

13. WallysWorld

Thank you for the good opinion, Paihan Lee. Never thought of it and I think you are right. The black does seem to hide the lines and curves of the car as I compared pictures of black and red Stingers side by side. I really like the red exterior, but I really love the red leather which is not available with the red exterior. I've moved onto the Thunder Grey now with red interior as my first choice.

14. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Western Canadian here, so I'll give you my perspective:
    1. Tank is a little small but not terrible. I've squeezed over 60L in mine a couple of times, so if driven reasonably, one can get 600+ km from a tank on a long highway cruise. I can make it from Saskatoon to Edmonton on a tank, so that's good enough for me.
    2. I find my Stinger very comfortable on long road trips. The seats have lots of adjustment and are easy to fit to most body types.
    3. Never used my cargo net and don't have an organizer but do regularly hauls lots of stuff in the back, sometimes with the hatch cover in place and the seats up and many times with the cover out and the back seats folded down. Lots of cargo capacity. See photo below.
    4. I got free oil changes for life when I bought my car. Unfortunately, to receive that I have the follow the dealer's service regime, meaning oil changes every 6,000 km & other "required" services that aren't necessary to maintain warranty. With synthetic oil, an 8,00 - 10,000 km interval should be fine.
    I've had mine for about 18 months and racked up 40,000 kms and have no regrets whatsoever about having bought the Stinger. Best car I've ever owned.

Full hatch.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. WallysWorld

Super thanks for the reply. Interesting to read what you (and others) wrote. It adds more to convincing me that I am buying the right vehicle.

16. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Hi Wally, once I bought the Kia cargo liner I couldn't use my cargo net because it didn't allow access to the clips in the back....duh ! the European one does but trust the Aussie version not to do it so I bought a car organiser from Ebay. It has the kia logo and came in a bag with the Kia parts number so I knew it would fit. I didn't buy the one from the dealership because that was over $100, this one works fine for my needs.
    IMG_3305.JPG IMG_3306.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. WallysWorld

Thanks for that info, Flameangel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Helo58

Helo58 United States Stinger Enthusiast

This car shines on long trips. I am 6'4" 250lb and have been on two 10+ hour trips and felt great when I reached my destination.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

You're welcome.

20. Get it if you like performance, luxury, comfort and value and aren’t brand-conscious.

Gas tank is small. Just a minor annoyance having to refuel more often, but not a huge deal. It is horrible on gas, but you have to pay to play with almost 400hp (I think Kia under-reported the hp). If you’re willing to, shouldn’t be a concern.

Extremely comfortable. It’s a grand tourer, so it’s perfect for long trips at high speeds. Noise is on par with other V6 Sedans but I have a Borla exhaust.

What you saw in the trunk was the dealer taking the cargo net that comes with the car and spreading it out like that. It’s meant to hold luggage or boxes so it won’t move around. I use an organizer myself.

The recommendation in the maintenance schedule is fine. I ran Valvoline SynPower for 8,400km, then did an oil analysis and it was still suitable for further use.

Buy it.

Draft saved Draft deleted