Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

OEM TPMS won’t fit on aftermarket wheels

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by The wall, Nov 10, 2019 at 2:43 AM.

1. The wall

The wall Canada Newish Member

Hello to everyone who got STUNG!!

recently I got 18” Fast Wheels Switch for winter’s, and bought OEM TPMS form eBay. Earlier today I went to swap my summer Set to winter set; my mechanic snapped two TPMS sensors!! And finally told me that it won’t fit on aftermarket wheels. So he suggested a different TPMS called MAX sensors, and they wouldn’t fit as well!! Did this happened to anyone out there? Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Frenchy_418

Frenchy_418 Canada Member

The kia tpms in my Vossen stick out a little more than desired but still had no problems mounting tires over them.

3. The wall

Amazing!! I am glad it worked out for you anyway.
    This Monday I’ll call my wheels provider and see what happens.

4. Silverghost

Silverghost Canada Active Member

5. The wall

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 12:50 AM
  6. Are you going from 19" wheels to 18"? Less width? Would that cause an issue?

7. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Many if not most use 18" wheels/tires for their winter set. Slightly narrower tires are actually better in the snow, and the different profile means that the overall diameter is the same, with a taller sidewall - so no significant speedometer variance, and better protection against wheel damage.

Also, with the commonly used square setup a directional winter tire can at least be rotated front to back. Doesn't hurt that there is a much, much wider selection of winter tires in 18" as well, along with a lower cost.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Though I've never seen actual snow in my life I understand the idea behind the swap; I'm wondering if the smaller sizes of the wheels are clashing with the OEM TPMS sensors because they are designed for a 19" wheel.

9. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I use the OEM sensors with no issues on my 18" winter set, and those are the same sensors that the dealer provides with their 18" winter tire and wheel offerings. I don't see the tire/rim size being a factor for either installation or operation.

10. The wall

Thank you Steve for the clarification.
    I’ll now go to a different mechanic and hopefully it works out well.

Draft saved Draft deleted