Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Not many stories of blown motors

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by Regs120, May 16, 2019.

1. Regs120

Regs120 United States Active Member

I ran a ecboost mustang for 3 years before I traded it in for the stinger. I use to frequent the mustang6g forums and it seemed like an ecoboom every 1-2 months not counting the ones on Facebook or Youtube channels.

I am guessing 300-320 HP coming from a 4 cylinder car is already pushing it so a simple tune on it could cause some damage unlike a 3.3L V6.

Is this engine really overbuilt?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

In my eyes, this engine is heavily detuned from the factory. A simple plug change and tune gets you near 450-500HP. Turbo swaps are pushing 700hp.

I think this platform will handle a lot of power.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

It's already powerful, even "detuned" as you say. I appreciate that a lot of car guys HAVE to do things to every car they get. But when a car is this good stock you'd have to be hard core performance mad to HAVE to do that stuff. And where do you stop? Reading between the lines on the performance comments of this forum tells me that tuning is like drugs in a way. :p Where/how do you stop?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

It's simply Merlin...common...you don't stop! Probably the reason why I haven't started haha. I love the power plant in stock shape, but I am getting the itch to add a little more power. Just for fun, no real necessity behind it.

There has been a few turbo failures, but I wouldn't classify those as "engine" failures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia United States 1000 Posts Club!

Tuning the 3.3 Stinger just further adds more "value" we perceive over the German rivals, closing the gap between the Audi S5 and RS5 with a sub 1K tune, and look at all the money we saved!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

The Lambda II engine is certainly detuned and is certainly capable of delivery more power than it comes with from the factory.

The reasoning behind that decision was the assurance Hyundai/Kia had to have in order to offer the 10 year 100k mile warranty for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Christopher Léger

Christopher Léger United States Active Member

Had no issue with my stinger gt2 for 12 months but Unfortunately i think i may have OCD i resisted a full year before adding a mod, now im lined up to have spent 4300 within 2 months and i can already plan another 4500 before summer end.. i think im overdoing my new hobby - you only live once -

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Yes the 3.3TT is detuned and very overbuilt. A few tuners have explained the engine & trans limits are about 800tq! Lap3s “big turbo” Stinger is about 700hp right now and hasn’t reported any problems yet.

This engine won awards for a reason and wouldn’t doubt it may hit 800hp+ on stock internals.:thumbup:

9. lamborstingi

lamborstingi United States Newish Member

Do you have sources for the tuners are saying this engine is “detuned”. I tried to search for it but couldn’t find any engine breakdowns of the 3.3L TT

10. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

No stories have been heard because people don't like to talk much about it. This motor is not indestructible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. lamborstingi

people should talk about it so the community as a whole can focus on the weak points of the motor (if any) and improve builds focused around / fortify those limitations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BlueByYouGT

BlueByYouGT Active Member

There have been a few people on this forum talking about the ways they destroyed their engine. For the most part when someone's modifications blow their engine they aren't going to get on the internet and tell the world about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lamborstingi

Seems like every other platform people can’t wait to tell someone on the forums.

I blew two engines with my last car and I had no problem talking about it. I also didn’t try to get the dealer to cover it, I paid out of pocket twice. Lol

14. Oryan

Oryan United States Active Member

I don't think we've found a point of failure as far as power goes with the engine.

People have certainly blown engines or turbos. But in almost every case, the root cause or a major factor was a factory defect that was aggravated by pushing more boost and power through the driveline.

The only things I've seen break with any regularity are AWD transfer cases if you go too ham with the burnout switch thing or turbo-swapped cars making the transmission a little unhappy. My end goal for this car will be somewhere north of 450, ideally 500, on 93. Maybe WMI. At this point(for now) I don't need or want that much more out of this particular car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. lamborstingi

that’s great to know. But, does anyone have any hard data? Like an engine tear down thread or those engine evaluations that super street does.

16. lamborstingi

This is my family car. I’m not trying to go all crazy but I do want a bit more power cause why not...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

It was a couple years ago, but Tork and another tuner both posted that the piston rods and believe the crankshaft was forged and capable to handle around 800hp. Also someone on here found Kias internal documentation stating the transmission/transfer case’s capacity to be 1000nm or 738ftlb of torque.
    C7E3DAA0-EFD6-4093-9CAB-8394ED4B5B0B.png

There are many big turbo Stingers in Korea running 700bhp+, and Tork just posted a 765bhp(650whp) NOS Stinger.
    8350EEC7-A2D3-498F-8DC4-08A7305D8413.jpeg

I haven’t heard of anyone yet blowing up their engine so our bottom end is overbuilt and capable of a lot more than the 365hp Kia is using. I’ve read that a few people repeatedly launching hard have cooked their torque converters & broken their rear differentials so the drivetrain seems to be the weakest link. But overall the engine is overbuilt and underrated and we have a lot of potential before we need to worry or replace engine/transmission internals, etc.

18. Rob M

Rob M United States Active Member

I blew a seal in my Stinger. PETA has threatened to press charges.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. General_Vodka

General_Vodka United States Active Member

I blew my furbo fins, so not that far from a blown motor.

20. Terry@BMS

Terry@BMS United States 1000 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted