kia stinger store

New to me 2019 Ceramic Silver GT2.

christhesip

Newish Member
Replacing my 2015 STI I bought new in November of 2014. That car increased my love for driving (sometimes too fast) and will miss it. I started to get tired of the complete lack of response and power under 3k rpm, the powerband of the STI is not really best for street driving. I did have a downpipe and a professional tune on it, which made a huge difference in overall driveablity and smoothness (dyno was 290whp/325wtq). I always wanted a hatchback for the space but drove the older STI and the newer ones were way more capable.

The Stingers main competition when I was shopping was a 2018+ Audi S5. They are extremely similar in specs but feel very different. If someone made a good sporty wagon I would probably have gone that route but the sportback is close enough.

Quick comparison of the Stinger and the STI (not entirely fair as the Stinger is significantly more expensive):

Power: Stinger feels significantly faster, and has almost no lag, the extra power more than makes up for the extra 500 lb weight difference. The engine in the STI does have more "character" but I rarely get to rev it out on the street anyway. Stinger delivers power so much more smoothly because of the transmission.
Ride: The STI's are stiff, didn't bother me for awhile but after awhile it did get a little old. Stinger is definitely softer than I want but still fun, will likely get springs and/or sways at some point.
Comfort: Stinger is way quieter, just about everything on the STI makes noise, the stock exhaust has a bit of drone, the tires are loud, there has generally little sound insulation. The auto lane keep kinda blew my mind when I used it on the highway, super nice to be able to grab some water without having to worry about drifting away. Can't wait to road trip the Stinger.
Visibility: Subarus have the best visibility of any cars I have driven, the cabins feel very light and open which is nice, Stinger is no doubt worse and the rear window is tiny but wasn't a deal breaker. The 360 cam is pretty magical though.
Handling: The Stinger hides it weight very well, obviously the STI handles better and feels lighter, it has just about zero body roll through corners and with some slight suspension mods it felt very neutral in corners, but most of the time it's more grip than you ever need on the street. I am hoping springs/sways will make a big difference in the Stinger.
Driving Dynamics: The rwd biased awd system on the Stinger is great. It was the main reason I preferred it over something like the current gen Audi S5. Both the STI and the S5 were very "point and shoot" you point it in a direction and it just goes, no drama, just grip. The steering response on the STI is excellent, I will miss it but the Stinger is better than the Audi. The Stinger is a bit less stable but also more fun, can easily kick out the rear end at slower speeds. The auto transmission was a little bit of a compromise, but it is good enough and the power kinda makes up for it, the Audi S5 transmissions was slightly faster. But I also have a summer project car (77 Datsun 280z) so I still have a manual in my life.
Interior: I have never really cared too much about an interior as long as it is functional, obviously Stinger interior is better than the STI, has way more features.

PXL_20210427_213806936 (1).jpg

Stinger has been great so far, I do however have what I think are coil/spark plug issues. At higher speeds it would stumble/shudder when punching it around 3-4k rpm. Car is stock and the first plug I checked was cracked. Taking it in to the nearest kia dealer so they can fix it under warranty.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
Replacing my 2015 STI I bought new in November of 2014. That car increased my love for driving (sometimes too fast) and will miss it. I started to get tired of the complete lack of response and power under 3k rpm, the powerband of the STI is not really best for street driving. I did have a downpipe and a professional tune on it, which made a huge difference in overall driveablity and smoothness (dyno was 290whp/325wtq). I always wanted a hatchback for the space but drove the older STI and the newer ones were way more capable.

The Stingers main competition when I was shopping was a 2018+ Audi S5. They are extremely similar in specs but feel very different. If someone made a good sporty wagon I would probably have gone that route but the sportback is close enough.

Quick comparison of the Stinger and the STI (not entirely fair as the Stinger is significantly more expensive):

Power: Stinger feels significantly faster, and has almost no lag, the extra power more than makes up for the extra 500 lb weight difference. The engine in the STI does have more "character" but I rarely get to rev it out on the street anyway. Stinger delivers power so much more smoothly because of the transmission.
Ride: The STI's are stiff, didn't bother me for awhile but after awhile it did get a little old. Stinger is definitely softer than I want but still fun, will likely get springs and/or sways at some point.
Comfort: Stinger is way quieter, just about everything on the STI makes noise, the stock exhaust has a bit of drone, the tires are loud, there has generally little sound insulation. The auto lane keep kinda blew my mind when I used it on the highway, super nice to be able to grab some water without having to worry about drifting away. Can't wait to road trip the Stinger.
Visibility: Subarus have the best visibility of any cars I have driven, the cabins feel very light and open which is nice, Stinger is no doubt worse and the rear window is tiny but wasn't a deal breaker. The 360 cam is pretty magical though.
Handling: The Stinger hides it weight very well, obviously the STI handles better and feels lighter, it has just about zero body roll through corners and with some slight suspension mods it felt very neutral in corners, but most of the time it's more grip than you ever need on the street. I am hoping springs/sways will make a big difference in the Stinger.
Driving Dynamics: The rwd biased awd system on the Stinger is great. It was the main reason I preferred it over something like the current gen Audi S5. Both the STI and the S5 were very "point and shoot" you point it in a direction and it just goes, no drama, just grip. The steering response on the STI is excellent, I will miss it but the Stinger is better than the Audi. The Stinger is a bit less stable but also more fun, can easily kick out the rear end at slower speeds. The auto transmission was a little bit of a compromise, but it is good enough and the power kinda makes up for it, the Audi S5 transmissions was slightly faster. But I also have a summer project car (77 Datsun 280z) so I still have a manual in my life.
Interior: I have never really cared too much about an interior as long as it is functional, obviously Stinger interior is better than the STI, has way more features.

View attachment 58218

Stinger has been great so far, I do however have what I think are coil/spark plug issues. At higher speeds it would stumble/shudder when punching it around 3-4k rpm. Car is stock and the first plug I checked was cracked. Taking it in to the nearest kia dealer so they can fix it under warranty.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Congratulations on your new Stinger GT! I'm glad you found us. :)

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
What a great intro! Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Welcome to the hive! Front and rear sway bars go a long way in improving the Stinger's handling, highly recommended for anyone coming from a smaller car

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Hello and welcome! :D

That is probably one of my favorite colors on the Stinger. Congrats on your new toy! Love that Subbie too! You got killer wheels there! :D

christhesip

Newish Member
Hello and welcome! :D

That is probably one of my favorite colors on the Stinger. Congrats on your new toy! Love that Subbie too! You got killer wheels there! :D
Thanks! I agree, the ceramic silver is very cool and unique, also love the red interior. I almost went blue so I could keep the gold/blue combo but wanted to switch things up. I spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for a gold wheel that I liked.

Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store

Authorized Vendor
Hey christhesip,

Congrats on your new Stinger and welcome to the forum!

You will find many similar car stories to yours here in the community.

Most of us came from either tuner cars or some sort of german vehicle.

There are so many great things about the Stinger, one of them being how much power you can add at affordable prices.

If you are ever looking for any aftermarket parts, come check our website out at www.K8StingerStore.com and feel free to reach out at any time.

See you around,
Daniel @ the K8 Stinger Store

jazzdabb

Raleigh NC

First, congratulations on an EXCELLENT color choice. The Ceramic Silver / Red combo is hard to beat. In terms of visibility, you ain't kiddin'! I came from a Subaru Forester which has the best visibility of ANY vehicle I've ever driven ... maybe of all time. It took a while to adjust to the restricted rear visibility in the Stinger. Regarding handling, I can't compare to the STi but my previous Mazda 6 was so light and nimble ... the Stinger really felt heavy. Adding front and rear swaybars completely removed body roll for me. Made a huge difference. I'm sure you'll enjoy your ride!

ChaneRZ

Stinger Enthusiast
Welcome

Clockwork

If that was purchased at Smart Toyota in Madison that is my old Stinger. I traded it in 3 weeks ago for a 2021 Supra.

I picked up the Stinger at Barnett Kia in MN last September with 17,499 miles on the odometer for $39,988 (I know Smart was asking more than that so I hope you didn't pay it). The week after I got it I replaced the aluminum shift surround trim as it was all knicked/scratched as well as the glove box that was all scratched. The drivers seat had a mark on it, and the exterior scratches were there. Unfortunately I never did a prepurchase inspection, so I had picked it up blind.

Your tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's) were mounted new @ 18242 miles by Tires Plus. I bought them because the old tires were trash (don't think the 1st owner ever rotated them) and I was getting unusual feedback from them. I also had them do a full alignment.

All services were done at Bergstrom Kia in Appleton while I had it. I have all the paperwork.

Regarding plug... I had a similar issue in March. They replaced the cylinder 4 plug. If it happened again I recommend they look at the coil pack itself and not just replace the plug.

Oh yeah, and the infotainment/maps are the most recent update (If you are wondering why there is a micro SD card and adapter in the SD slot). The original SD card is in its case at the back of one of the manuals.

20210501_084636.jpg

Last edited:

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Thanks! I agree, the ceramic silver is very cool and unique, also love the red interior. I almost went blue so I could keep the gold/blue combo but wanted to switch things up. I spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for a gold wheel that I liked.
Noice!! :D :thumbup:

Clockwork

Replacing my 2015 STI I bought new in November of 2014.

Besides what I said in my other post, I have had quite a few cars. I actually have owned two Subarus. An 06 STI and a 2013 WRX Special Edition...

Anyway, congrats on the Stinger! I laughed a little when I saw this post. Small world.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1619889999469.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619889999469.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1619890020509.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619890020509.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1619890008601.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619890008601.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1619890041179.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619890041179.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 3

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Besides what I said in my other post, I have had quite a few cars. I actually have owned two Subarus. An 06 STI and a 2013 WRX Special Edition...

Anyway, congrats on the Stinger! I laughed a little when I saw this post. Small world.
dang nice Subbie collection!!

I noticed a lot of cool cats made the switch from the Subbie Rally life to the KDM GT life! :D

Will I Am

Central Virginia
Welcome!

christhesip

Newish Member
If that was purchased at Smart Toyota in Madison that is my old Stinger. I traded it in 3 weeks ago for a 2021 Supra.

I picked up the Stinger at Barnett Kia in MN last September with 17,499 miles on the odometer for $39,988 (I know Smart was asking more than that so I hope you didn't pay it). The week after I got it I replaced the aluminum shift surround trim as it was all knicked/scratched as well as the glove box that was all scratched. The drivers seat had a mark on it, and the exterior scratches were there. Unfortunately I never did a prepurchase inspection, so I had picked it up blind.

Your tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's) were mounted new @ 18242 miles by Tires Plus. I bought them because the old tires were trash (don't think the 1st owner ever rotated them) and I was getting unusual feedback from them. I also had them do a full alignment.

All services were done at Bergstrom Kia in Appleton while I had it. I have all the paperwork.

Regarding plug... I had a similar issue in March. They replaced the cylinder 4 plug. If it happened again I recommend they look at the coil pack itself and not just replace the plug.

Oh yeah, and the infotainment/maps are the most recent update (If you are wondering why there is a micro SD card and adapter in the SD slot). The original SD card is in its case at the back of one of the manuals.

Haha crazy, yeah that is where I bought it, and no I didn't pay what they were asking, but prices have definitely been going up on used cars because of the pandemic and less supply. I looked at a few different cars (mostly 2018s) and most were in disappointing condition for what places were asking. The cosmetic issues on this one were minor enough for me to pull the trigger. Seems like the first owner did most of the damage lol. Going to be giving it a light polish and a ceramic coating soon. I had one on the sti from the dealer (got it for free) and it makes cleaning so much easier, not to mention how good it looks.

Thanks for all the information! Cool to know the history.

I dropped it off today to get it fixed, I did some reading beforehand and asked them to check all the coils and plugs. Good to know it's happened before, I can show them that work order if they give me any grief.

Congrats on the supra! If we didn't have a child I would probably have a 2-seater daily, instead I just have a separate project car, here's my '77 280z:
PXL_20210417_175646429.jpg

Clockwork

"The cosmetic issues on this one were minor enough for me to pull the trigger. Seems like the first owner did most of the damage lol"

None from me, actually. It was in better condition when I traded it in than when I bought it.

Btw, nice 280z! Between the 06 STI and the 13 WRX I had a solar orange 07 350z. That car was fun in its own way.

FB_IMG_1620074771602.jpg FB_IMG_1620075127242.jpg

Transmetal

Welcome aboard! I was cross shopping a new 2020 wrx (non sti) before I bought my Stinger. I'm so glad I didn't buy one of those. Not saying that they are bad but I literally see those cars DAILY. They are a dime a dozen. Plus, paying 30-33k for an interior that was on par with my last car (2007 Grand Prix) didn't sound like a good idea. Besides having a screen, it looked and felt ol school cheap to me. It's insane to me what those cars cost but I guess if you compare it to say a spec'd out chevy malibu or something then I suppose it's a bargain.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW

... I just have a separate project car, here's my '77 280z:
View attachment 58362
I can't stop staring. :D I always admired the stance of the Z. Yours looks really good. Around here I've started seeing a white one that needs a lot of work. The last one I saw was a year ago, moving and sounding good, but it didn't look as spiff as yours. :thumbup:

christhesip

Newish Member
I always liked the classic shape of the 350z, then I saw a 240z for the first time and fell in love. I looked at them for years before I decided to buy one.

I can't stop staring. :D I always admired the stance of the Z. Yours looks really good. Around here I've started seeing a white one that needs a lot of work. The last one I saw was a year ago, moving and sounding good, but it didn't look as spiff as yours. :thumbup:

Thanks! It needs more body work than the picture suggests, I have already cut out and replaced all of the underbody structural rust, of which it wasn't too bad for these cars. Still have some patches to do on the fenders, doglegs and rear bumper. Recently did all new suspension, (coilovers, adjustable control arms) and all new brake setup, completely transformed the car. Performance mods are more fun than bodywork lol.