Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT New STILLEN Intake and Cat-Back Exhaust Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Rob, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Rob

Rob United States Newish Member

Just spoke to my buddy who works for Stillen and he told me they've just finished testing their new intake and exhaust for the stinger ( 3.3TT). The intake alone gained 15 HP at the wheels, the exhaust alone gained 18 HP, and combined they gained 26 HP. Those numbers are better than K&N and Borla. He also told me that it seems KIA has under-rated these from the factory because the baseline dyno pull was 344 WHP (370 WHP with the intake and exhaust). They should be released for sale sometime in the next couple months. I guess it pays to not rush something to market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

did he happen to mention if it was a true CAI or is it a WAI like the K&N

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob

He didn't say, but from what he said, it sounds like it stays in the engine bay, no not a true CAI. Not sure how they got so much power, but I'll post pics as soon as I can get some from him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Probably because he's a part maker and he's saying what needs to be said to move more units.

5. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

A 6 HP difference between the two intakes can come from a number of differences that have nothing to do with the intakes. Ambient temp, how tightly the car was strapped to the dyno, engine heat soak.

This style of intake is a filter on a tube, once you remove the airbox restriction there isn’t much you can do to make them make more power, a slightly less restrictive filter maybe.

Either way, you’re butt dyno or even 1/4 mike times aren’t going to notice 6 hp. Find the brand you like, that looks good to you and is a quality build and be happy.

6. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

Sound will be an issue, with the intake, based on other posts here. There are ways to increase the velocity of the air being fed into an engine, however I'm not certain how that plays when there is a turbo, intercooler, etc. in play.

As for the exhaust, I'll assume it's axleback, and there it has to do with flow and pulsing the majority of the length of the exhaust and the flow characteristics of the mufflers.

As with all of these types of products, I'll be waiting to see some (more) independent, quantitative testing.

7. Rob

Lol he's actually in sales, so he's definitely promoting the product, however I've never had any reason to mistrust him or the brand.

It's good to keep in mind that those variables would most likely also affect the baseline pull in the same way, resulting in the same overall HP gain for a given intake system. Furthermore, it's improbable that any company would neglect to take every possible measure within reason to ensure that the results are as strong as possible.

Another friend of mine has the Stillen intake on his 3.0L twin turbo V6 infiniti and it sounds great.

I have been assured that it's a cat-back, NOT an axle-back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob

Apparently they also have plans to do a true CAI similar to their GEN 3 for the G37/370Z but that's a couple months down the line and has the potential to be more expensive than this first iteration.

9. robz32

Now that is something I will get in line for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

There is no point to a true CAI since the platform we are looking at is a turbo'd vehicle. Air enters the turbo to be heated up before being cooled via the intercooler. Pulling in cooler air is a mute point, I'd be surprised if any manufacturer releases a CAI

EDIT:
    It's silly to pay extra for more piping that isnt going to make a difference over a short ram

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. robz32

Wrong....The cooler the air can get into the turbo and engine, the more performace you will be able to get.

It is not the same if you have air coming in at, say, 60 F to then be warmed up another 30 F (when it enters the turbo compressor), to then be cooled 10 F (when it goes through the air cooled intercooler) and then into the heads and combustion chamber, than if you get the air in at a lower temperature.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rob

Correct! Just Google Charles' Law. The Stinger uses a peak boost pressure of 9 PSI (over atmospheric pressure). Assuming atmospheric pressure of 15 PSI, that's a ratio of 5:8. If we use an intake temp of 90 F, the output temp from the turbo will be 144 F. In contrast, if we use an intake temp of 60 F, the output temp from the turbo will be 96 F. The same principle applies to the intercooler - cooler (denser) air coming in means cooler (denser) air coming out.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Angel

Angel United States Active Member

This is incorrect sir.....I wont comment any more I might incriminate myself...just do a little research

14. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

I should have corrected myself, if anyone can show a significant tempuature difference between a SRI and true CAI and the significant performance gains on a Stinger I’ll believe it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Angel

Youre the man Paul.......By your original statement I am not going to a debate....If i go and debate i already loss the bate, if i go out and waste my money on a dyno just to prove your point was wrong it means nothing....lol On another note i need to spend my money getting some parts for the stinger i might have to buy some spacers and couple other things from your store...

16. Angel

hey is that intercooler bolt on to the stinger 3.3??

17. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

I understand that principle but you’re looking at this as if a CAI has an air condition unit hooked up to it. My point is, is there a significant difference in air temps being pulled in? 90 F SRI air coming in compared to 85 F CAI air makes no difference. I’d spend less money on the SRI than the CAI for that difference in air temps.

18. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Nice! Let me know if I can help in any way!
    The Ultimate upgraded IC is a direct replacement and bolt up in the existing OE IC spot using factory hosing. No modification required

19. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Member

Welp, I ran out of patience: I ordered the K&N Typhoon intake kit (and have mods planned) so it won't matter if they even post up the product tomorrow, lol... Those of you who have seen my Magnaflow exhaust review should know what to expect. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. NYdito

NYdito United States Active Member

Just called Stillen any guess what they told me for the intake????

Draft saved Draft deleted