New forum member with a whole 24 hours of stinger ownership experience

Jagoti

Las Vegas
Hello all. I picked up my GT yesterday in SoCal and drove it back to Las Vegas. Had to go to Southern California as the dealers here in town were either woefully dishonest or ill equipped with stock or both. More about that in other threads.

I have to be honest I did not even know about the stinger until a couple of weeks ago. It just wasn't on my radar. I started looking at inexpensive vehicles to replace my lexus LS 430 that had 181000 miles on it and was about to start costing me serious money, or at least that was my suspicion. I looked at hot hatches including the new Veloster N which was crazy fast and fun but would undoubtedly get old in a hurry for every day use. The volkswagen GTI was superb and the only reason I didn't buy that was I test drove the stinger the same day. Even in the 2.0 version the stinger was a clear winner. Tried to take advantage of the current lease specials from Kia and found nothing but resistance and BS locally. Found a more motivated dealer in SoCal and while I was down there on vacation test drove the 3.3 and the rest is history as they say. I also test drove the G70 but preferred the stinger despite what all the professional reviewers seem to suggest.

I have been on the landcruiser forums for a while having dabbled in off road for the last 6 years or so. For those who don't know Nevada has the most Public land of anywhere in the US and there are endless places to play in the desert. However the older I get the less likely I am to feel like working on cars and the land cruiser/off road obsession seems to be waning with every new back MRI!o_O IMG_20200728_173224.jpg

Thank you all to those who have contributed to the knowledge here. I was able to do some basic reading of some of the threads before purchasing (though my time was limited). I look forward to delving a little deeper now that I'm an owner and I will post about my experiences as I go.

Kia Stinger

Staff member
Palm Beach, FL
Hello all. I picked up my GT yesterday in SoCal and drove it back to Las Vegas. Had to go to Southern California as the dealers here in town were either woefully dishonest or ill equipped with stock or both. More about that in other threads.

I have to be honest I did not even know about the stinger until a couple of weeks ago. It just wasn't on my radar. I started looking at inexpensive vehicles to replace my lexus LS 430 that had 181000 miles on it and was about to start costing me serious money, or at least that was my suspicion. I looked at hot hatches including the new Veloster N which was crazy fast and fun but would undoubtedly get old in a hurry for every day use. The volkswagen GTI was superb and the only reason I didn't buy that was I test drove the stinger the same day. Even in the 2.0 version the stinger was a clear winner. Tried to take advantage of the current lease specials from Kia and found nothing but resistance and BS locally. Found a more motivated dealer in SoCal and while I was down there on vacation test drove the 3.3 and the rest is history as they say. I also test drove the G70 but preferred the stinger despite what all the professional reviewers seem to suggest.

I have been on the landcruiser forums for a while having dabbled in off road for the last 6 years or so. For those who don't know Nevada has the most Public land of anywhere in the US and there are endless places to play in the desert. However the older I get the less likely I am to feel like working on cars and the land cruiser/off road obsession seems to be waning with every new back MRI!o_O View attachment 48358

Thank you all to those who have contributed to the knowledge here. I was able to do some basic reading of some of the threads before purchasing (though my time was limited). I look forward to delving a little deeper now that I'm an owner and I will post about my experiences as I go.
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us! :)

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Now, that was a stellar intro. :thumbup: Welcome to the forum.

Luc343

Rhodes, Sydney NSW
I agree, not everyone wants to keep working on cars. I did a lot of that years ago. If people just purchased a car that meet their needs there would be no need for chips etc that have the potential to do some serious damage.

Enjoy your new car, I did and I still find any excuse I can to take it for a drive.

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah

I have been on the landcruiser forums for a while having dabbled in off road for the last 6 years or so. For those who don't know Nevada has the most Public land of anywhere in the US and there are endless places to play in the desert. However the older I get the less likely I am to feel like working on cars and the land cruiser/off road obsession seems to be waning with every new back MRI!o_O View attachment 48358

Welcome and congrats on the new Stinger. I moved from a GTI to a Stinger so the fact you were thinking of buying that before shows me you've got good taste;). It's also an excellent car but the Stinger blows it away.

Jagoti

Las Vegas
The gti is a quality vehicle and honestly the vw dealer was the best experience of this whole adventure. However as you say the stinger blows away the GTI. As everyone has said for a long time the GTI needs a power upgrade desperately. I really wanted to buy it to be honest, I really wanted a manual transmission (before they disappear) and I loved the feel of the GTI's, it was smooth and a joy to 'row' as they say. However the horsepower to value ratio and sheer driving pleasure of the stinger made it an easy choice in the end.