New engine (3.5T and 2.5T) information

Socalstinga

Stinger Enthusiast
cool stuff...but if they come out with another mechanical upgrade to the stinger, that's going to suck for most early adopters that purchased the version we have now. It would take a knockout engine/tranny set up for me to trade my car in.

KLR STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
Well the Engine definitely has some desirable features. The Dual injection system that most 2nd and 3rd generation GDI motor are turning to is important in reducing carbon build up, and adds alot of tuning overhead potential on the stock fuel system. The Switch to L2A IC is generally more efficient, but can have other challenges with pumps and heat exchangers needing upgrading. The DCT the displayed was transverse setup for FWD, I do not believe its for RWD platforms Like the stinger.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
cool stuff...but if they come out with another mechanical upgrade to the stinger, that's going to suck for most early adopters that purchased the version we have now. It would take a knockout engine/tranny set up for me to trade my car in.
I bought THIS car, not some future upgrade. Nothing about a future car diminishes the car I bought: it will always be "perfect for me", because it is now. The only way this would change is if, at some future point, I decide that I want something with even more power: or, more likely, the tech in this car gets dodgy trying to interface with "the grid" of the future's computerized infrastructure. The thing that gets dated the fastest is, of course, the software, followed by the computers themselves. At some point, say ten or so years out, any car being made right now is going to be outdated in the computer end of things: and how practical will it be to upgrade then? What kind of expense will go into putting in contemporary (cutting edge) tech? What aspects of a ten year-old Stinger will become functionally moribund? How long, for instance, will the NAV continue to interface with updates, without replacement? Engines are the least of our worries.

Sabs

Arizona, USA
I don't think they'd put the 3.5T into the Stinger. It looks to be a single turbo engine. Certainly it would be better on fuel economy, but likely a step down in performance. I think they'll reserve this for their SUV's and large luxury sedans.

If Kia wants some headline fodder for a Stinger refresh, they just need to mildly bump up the power with different tuning and airflow work, and perhaps publish a rated number more closely aligned to the actual hp/tq. I would think they could achieve 400hp/425tq pretty easily without stressing the drivetrain too hard, which would look good in automotive news.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Hope they have varmint proof wiring !~ :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
It is the way of the industry, upgrades and improvements will come out in mid-cycle refresh. If one wants the upgrade, trade up. I traded my Optima hybrid from a 2012 to a 2014 to a 2017, mainly because I wanted a quieter interior and the 2014 and 2017 came with a different powertrain. The 2017 also had a Sport mode, ride and handled way better than any before it, felt like a luxury car with an awesome stereo system! It was supposed to be a test drive, I loved it it was one of 2 in the area and the only loaded version, so it came home with me. Salesman followed me back home with it, handed over the keys to the 2014 in the driveway and he took it back to the dealer.

I'm on my 2nd Stinger, if they do a hybrid or electric version, that isn't expensive, I would jump on it.

KLR STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
I don't think they'd put the 3.5T into the Stinger. It looks to be a single turbo engine. Certainly it would be better on fuel economy, but likely a step down in performance. I think they'll reserve this for their SUV's and large luxury sedans.

If Kia wants some headline fodder for a Stinger refresh, they just need to mildly bump up the power with different tuning and airflow work, and perhaps publish a rated number more closely aligned to the actual hp/tq. I would think they could achieve 400hp/425tq pretty easily without stressing the drivetrain too hard, which would look good in automotive news.
Most definitely not a single turbo engine. you can clear see two turbos feeding a single Liquid to air IC. Though I Am not convinced its displayed as a longitudinal configuration in these pics.

Sabs

Arizona, USA
You're right - I only looked at the first pic where it wasn't visible. The text says "turbocharger" which is probably a typo.

Socalstinga

Stinger Enthusiast
I bought THIS car, not some future upgrade. Nothing about a future car diminishes the car I bought: it will always be "perfect for me", because it is now. The only way this would change is if, at some future point, I decide that I want something with even more power: or, more likely, the tech in this car gets dodgy trying to interface with "the grid" of the future's computerized infrastructure. The thing that gets dated the fastest is, of course, the software, followed by the computers themselves. At some point, say ten or so years out, any car being made right now is going to be outdated in the computer end of things: and how practical will it be to upgrade then? What kind of expense will go into putting in contemporary (cutting edge) tech? What aspects of a ten year-old Stinger will become functionally moribund? How long, for instance, will the NAV continue to interface with updates, without replacement? Engines are the least of our worries.
well, if KIA came out with a GT+ or RS version that pumped out 430-450 hp on the same engine platform, I don't think I'd get it. I think a true tune on the current platform gets this car reliably to the 420+ range. Again, it would take a huge upgrade for me to swap into a new one. But I don't think they would do so on a mid-cycle refresh. I'm also in the camp that thinks there will be one run of the stinger, especially if the telluride is a sales hit and if other models continue to sell well. The stinger is a Halo car, but the good news is genesis g70/80 share the same platform so even if it were a one run car the platform is still used. (purely thinking of aftermarket support).

KLR STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
well, if KIA came out with a GT+ or RS version that pumped out 430-450 hp on the same engine platform, I don't think I'd get it. I think a true tune on the current platform gets this car reliably to the 420+ range. Again, it would take a huge upgrade for me to swap into a new one. But I don't think they would do so on a mid-cycle refresh. I'm also in the camp that thinks there will be one run of the stinger, especially if the telluride is a sales hit and if other models continue to sell well. The stinger is a Halo car, but the good news is genesis g70/80 share the same platform so even if it were a one run car the platform is still used. (purely thinking of aftermarket support).
If they used larger turbochargers, and the addition of 2 stage fueling int port and direct injection, I would swap.

Socalstinga

Stinger Enthusiast
Some say the Stinger is near 400 hp (chp) from the factory and closer to 450 lb-ft (i.e. quite underrated). Force it to run on premium, and 420-430 is probably super easy.
It feels much underrated the way bmw used to always do it with the 300hp 335 i had in the past. I think it's a well built engine/tranny, but KIA limited it quite a bit to make that 100k warranty stick. It's my potential 400-450 whp DD dad mobile...The ecu tune is all I really need to complete the upgrades I've done to keep me happy for a versatile DD. I'll leave the real build stuff to my dream build 911...

Thats my question is why is this car not pushing closer to 500hp.. the gt-r has a similar engine size.. in 2009.. but was pushing 500 or more.. most sports cars these days are pushing 400+. If they made it have 470+ hp people would stop ignoring this car and they would sell alot more.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
Thats my question is why is this car not pushing closer to 500hp.. the gt-r has a similar engine size.. in 2009.. but was pushing 500 or more.. most sports cars these days are pushing 400+. If they made it have 470+ hp people would stop ignoring this car and they would sell alot more.
I disagree , in this case size does not matter , more HP is not the issue , Brand, Car style , Segment decline etc etc YES !

Toddasaurus

Kia/Hyundai's new Smartstream engines are designed for efficiency, not so much for high power applications. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't be used to push 500+ horsepower, I just don't think they designed them with that intent, according to the press release PowerPoints I've seen.

Also, a couple clarifications. Both the 2.5t and 3.5tt are designed to be used in longitudinal configurations, while the 2.5 can also be used in transverse configs. Both engines have Hyundai's new mechanical variable valve duration tech. Lastly, it seems that the 8spd that will be coupled with the new 3.5tt is still the same transmission we have right now, and subsequently might be a weak point - which may be part of the reason why there is only a tiny increase in power from the 3.3tt (speculation on my part).

Either way, the Theta III and Lambda III look pretty dang good in many ways, and will be a nice upgrade.

turboAWD

Sustaining Member
West Coast
With turbos, engine size has little to do with hp. The problem is, as I've learned over time, is that, unlike maybe in the past (like our '82 Civic that used > 1qt of oil per week), engines are pretty much bullet-proof at this point with computer control - it's transmissions that are usually the weak point of almost any high-power / budget car. Not EVERY car, just those trying to go super high on a budget. Plus, materials.

Mercedes AMG has a 2.0L turbo that makes > 400 hp. I believe each one is hand-built and assembled. Probably the same for the GT-R. Some people get theirs rebuilt and make > 1500 hp in a GT-R. And then they need a totally rebuilt transmission, because even stock they were breaking them with hard launches.

With full ECU tuning and some upgrades (turbos, injectors, pumps), we should easily get to 1000+ hp. But if you tried to launch on boost, your transmission would be toast on launch #3 or 4. Plus, it's the old "mid-level model shouldn't make more power than the flagship" problem - Kia's/Genesis' V8 makes 429 HP, IIRC. The "base/mid-level" turbo car can't make MORE power than the top-of-the-line car. etc..

YEH

Kia/Hyundai's new Smartstream engines are designed for efficiency, not so much for high power applications. Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't be used to push 500+ horsepower, I just don't think they designed them with that intent, according to the press release PowerPoints I've seen
Pretty much this.

Both the 2.5T and 3.5TT are capable of pushing out a good bit more power, but there are reasons for not doing so.

Also, a couple clarifications. Both the 2.5t and 3.5tt are designed to be used in longitudinal configurations, while the 2.5 can also be used in transverse configs. Both engines have Hyundai's new mechanical variable valve duration tech. Lastly, it seems that the 8spd that will be coupled with the new 3.5tt is still the same transmission we have right now, and subsequently might be a weak point - which may be part of the reason why there is only a tiny increase in power from the 3.3tt (speculation on my part).
That's speculation in the right direction.

While the new lighter-weight platform helps, what really helps the performance feel of the Sorento is the new wet 8 spd DCT.

With turbos, engine size has little to do with hp. The problem is, as I've learned over time, is that, unlike maybe in the past (like our '82 Civic that used > 1qt of oil per week), engines are pretty much bullet-proof at this point with computer control - it's transmissions that are usually the weak point of almost any high-power / budget car. Not EVERY car, just those trying to go super high on a budget. Plus, materials.

Mercedes AMG has a 2.0L turbo that makes > 400 hp. I believe each one is hand-built and assembled. Probably the same for the GT-R. Some people get theirs rebuilt and make > 1500 hp in a GT-R. And then they need a totally rebuilt transmission, because even stock they were breaking them with hard launches.
The ancient 2.0T in the Veloster-N and i30N has been boosted to more than 350HP w/ the TCR versions of both winning a # of racing championships.

The issue (w/ amount of boost beyond a certain point) becomes reliability.

That's the reason why Honda didn't give the Civic Si as much power as many wanted and why Toyota/Lexus opted for a lower powered 2.0T in a # of models, including the IS and GS.

Last edited: