• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

New Car Technology

DonD

This doesn't apply to Stingers, however, I'm curious if someone here has an answer to something I'm observing more and more with new cars of various brands.

These newer cars turn off the headlight that the turn signal is flashing, in other words, a car signaling a left hand turn has the left turn signal flashing but the headlight itself is off.

I can't see any logic for this, you just give up 50% of your headlight illumination.

Hope Kia doesn't adopt this idiocy. Comments? Thanks, Don

Spriggan

Kansas City
Only thing I can figure is that with the headlight on, the blinker could get lost in the glare, increasing the risk of a turning collision. With it off, it's pretty easy to notice.

DonD

Only thing I can figure is that with the headlight on, the blinker could get lost in the glare, increasing the risk of a turning collision. With it off, it's pretty easy to notice.
I understand your remark, however, we've done just fine w/o that for decades. If they're concerned about that, physically separate the turn signal from the headlight, problem solved.

I think at least in part, stylists like the integrated headlight/turn signal assembly. Maybe style over function? Don

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

JSolo

1000 Posts Club!
Chicago
Don, can we see a pic? My car has dedicated front turn signals too.

Redleg94

Does the headlight turn off or just the daytime running light? At nighttime, I've never seen the entire headlight shutting off during signal.
I wondered the same thing. I've seen the DRL turn off, but never the headlight. Can you provide an example?

DonD

Does the headlight turn off or just the daytime running light? At nighttime, I've never seen the entire headlight shutting off during signal.
I'm really not sure, cars are running at daytime with both headlights on full, but not high beam, then shutting off one headlight when the turn signal comes on. I think I've see this at dusk but not sure about a dark night. Don

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
None of your damn business
Show me 1 example. 1 of actual nighttime headlight going off when turn signal is on.

You can’t.

Because it’s the DRL.

Now are there fricking morons who DON’T turn on their headlights at night? Yes. Because they are morons. Because some are too stupid to enable “auto-headlights” if available. Others see a little light and think their headlights are on but just dim. Same Douche canoes That take it to the dealer to refill their blinker fluid.

Don, you didn’t take it to the dealer for blinker fluid right?

Right?

Devin

Sustaining Member
Seattle-ish
Now are there fricking morons who DON’T turn on their headlights at night? Yes. Because they are morons. Because some are too stupid to enable “auto-headlights” if available. Others see a little light and think their headlights are on but just dim.
Two words: stealth mode

:ninja:

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

DonD

Show me 1 example. 1 of actual nighttime headlight going off when turn signal is on.

You can’t.

Because it’s the DRL.

Now are there fricking morons who DON’T turn on their headlights at night? Yes. Because they are morons. Because some are too stupid to enable “auto-headlights” if available. Others see a little light and think their headlights are on but just dim. Same Douche canoes That take it to the dealer to refill their blinker fluid.

Don, you didn’t take it to the dealer for blinker fluid right?

Right?
No, yet another snotty response. Don

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I first noticed this and asked about it a couple of years ago. Thought that the Telluride was going to get issued a TSB for bung DRLs. :p Someone on here taught me a lesson in gov't regulations, when they pointed out that the turn signal was going and that proximity to the DRLs meant that they had to be off until the turn signal went off. I am confident that headlights never turn off on any vehicle when the turn signals are operating.

Duende01

Just spent a few minutes looking thru nighttime car reviews on youtube and as I had pointed out, none turn off the headlight when the turn signal is active.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Maljey

Pittsburgh, PA
It happens with some cars on DRL only, and yes it's because the blinking light can get 'lost' in the light from the DRLs. There are a alot of LED DRLs that are brighter than we used in years past, so disabling them is huge help.

DonD

Most people don't use turn signals, so this entire topic is moot.
Unfortunately there's a lot of truth in what you said. If you're in the middle of nowhere, no traffic, who cares if you use the turn signals on a clear day or night?

In traffic, it's still a good idea even though I can't say I'm hyper religious about using them. Don