New car surprises

98mystique2

Newish Member
So had it about 2 weeks now, decided to wash (in prep for having it waxed or paint corrected or something) and give it a through once over since it came from the dealer showroom floor with a scratch on it (dealer said to bring it back for a buff and my detail guys said don't even think about it). It also had a dead battery since I guess they don't want dealers using chargers on car in the showroom (local fire ordinances or something)? When they jumped it to start it and park it outside they used the strut bar (forward stiffener thing) rather than the jumping lug, oh well. Some minor weld splatter. The areas of concern and question I have surround more upon what I believe to be extra and missing parts on the car as well as wondering if the paint color difference is normal. The plastic pieces seem to be a few shades darker than the metal on the car. I labeled and uploaded photos below.
I also looked behind one of the trunk panels and don't see any missing nuts so maybe it got dropped and they ignored it?

98mystique2

Newish Member
Was the car in an accident and repaired?
Hope not given that it was bought new off the show room floor (21 miles on it?). If you're referring to the color differences all the plastic (front bumper, rocker covers, back trunk lid, back bumper, roof pieces) are the slightly darker color, less visible during the day but in the garage is pretty obvious.
I got to pull the plastic films off door guards and interior pieces so unless it was dropped off the truck I don't think it was

Last edited:

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
I don't see any problem, all cars have different color from the outside they have special powder to avoid corrosion and the interior metal has no clear coat like the exterior, I see no problems at all.

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Howdy. What a critical eye for color you have! I can't see it in the pics.

98mystique2

Newish Member
So I guess my specific questions are

1. Should there be bolts in the wire loom piece under the engine cover (does anyone else have bolts?)
2. Should the presumed fuel line lock be locked?
3. Has anyone else received spare parts (should I have the dealer pull back the trunk liner and make sure my tail lights aren't going to fall out)
4. Is the paint shade missmatch normal and I'm just being overly sensitive to it?

Rynil2000

Cumming, GA
As far as the missing bolts, I'm not certain of the issue or if there are missing parts.

However, for the paint, I would say that the mismatch between the bumper and the fender is probably attributed to the paint being on plastic vs metal. I honestly can't tell what color I'm looking at here, grey or white, but if it's the white - that is a three stage paint which is notoriously finicky at being able to match (I've been rear ended twice, ask me how I know). Also, Kia has not been known to have a good reputation when painting these cars.

Snowwhite

the fuel clip is all wrong, see the photo on mine below. Also, yes there are bolts for the wiring loom.

given the low mileage- I'm wondering if someone at the dealership tried to install something and remove it before delivery (JB4? not sure what else would mess with the wiring loom up there) or they disassembled something to compare to another stinger and got sloppy on the reassembly. Or it could have been some post-assembly work at the factory. I spent a summer at a Ford plant- not saying it's likely, but can't rule it out from here.

As far as the extra nut in the trunk- check battery terminals for missing bolts, or the ground attachment to the body.

The plastic trim pieces are a slightly more yellowish tint on my snow white as well. My Parisian Grey G80 showed similar. I think it's just part of their paint process.

good luck.

Attachments

98mystique2

Newish Member
the fuel clip is all wrong, see the photo on mine below. Also, yes there are bolts for the wiring loom.

given the low mileage- I'm wondering if someone at the dealership tried to install something and remove it before delivery (JB4? not sure what else would mess with the wiring loom up there) or they disassembled something to compare to another stinger and got sloppy on the reassembly. Or it could have been some post-assembly work at the factory. I spent a summer at a Ford plant- not saying it's likely, but can't rule it out from here.

As far as the extra nut in the trunk- check battery terminals for missing bolts, or the ground attachment to the body.

The plastic trim pieces are a slightly more yellowish tint on my snow white as well. My Parisian Grey G80 showed similar. I think it's just part of their paint process.

good luck.
I looked everywhere, it's the same nut that attaches the trunk lid to the trunk frame (if that makes sense) guessing it just got dropped and lost?
My career has taken me to work in manufacturing facilities that shall we say based on the safety aspect should be a step above auto manufacturing and stuff gets missed all the time. Just wanted to make sure other people had bolts there.
It was like me watching one of the Murano teardowns of a Tesla model Y when he's pointing out differences between a model 3 and y like look they're learning to save weight and cost by using 3 bolts instead of 4 and in my head I'm thinking some assembler is like f*ck they weren't supposed to see that.

My only surprise with the whole process is that they just found random bolts rather than ordering bolts and there was nothing to document it all. Generally good manufacturers have ways to track copq and would want to know but sounds like that's not the case

Last edited:

Snowwhite

At least it didn't come from inside the hatch. Those are all silver, black, or primer/body color. (I had this photo from when I installed the noise abatement.) I would check the battery terminals just in case, but I think those are silver as well. Just to make sure you're not missing an important one.

Attachments

98mystique2

Newish Member
At least it didn't come from inside the hatch. Those are all silver, black, or primer/body color. (I had this photo from when I installed the noise abatement.) I would check the battery terminals just in case, but I think those are silver as well. Just to make sure you're not missing an important one.
It was silver.... I stuck my phone in there before and didn't see anything.

As for the paint... took the car to the detailer (which is also a very reputable body shop) today to get a quote for a clear bra/ceramic and they'll cavity wax the hood since after washing a bunch of water came out from there so hopefully that prevents rust. Anyway my suspicion about color was correct, the body is painted separately from the plastic bits so a slightly different batch of paint yields a slightly different color (this is why even when painting walls in your house they want you to mix cans if it'll take more than one can). Body shops after a collision are left with well what do we color match it to (they had paint reps out today also discussing that topic) He said his Benz is the same way there's a different hue on the plastic vs body and it's pretty much a suck it up lol but the more you know.

Cosmo

It was silver.... I stuck my phone in there before and didn't see anything.

As for the paint... took the car to the detailer (which is also a very reputable body shop) today to get a quote for a clear bra/ceramic and they'll cavity wax the hood since after washing a bunch of water came out from there so hopefully that prevents rust. Anyway my suspicion about color was correct, the body is painted separately from the plastic bits so a slightly different batch of paint yields a slightly different color (this is why even when painting walls in your house they want you to mix cans if it'll take more than one can). Body shops after a collision are left with well what do we color match it to (they had paint reps out today also discussing that topic) He said his Benz is the same way there's a different hue on the plastic vs body and it's pretty much a suck it up lol but the more you know.
The paint is definitely mismatched and the electrical tape on the wire/connector is not factory. Sad to say but I suspect your car has some hidden history.

98mystique2

Newish Member
The paint is definitely mismatched and the electrical tape on the wire/connector is not factory. Sad to say but I suspect your car has some hidden history.
Factory rework happens. If it works it works. I got a neighbor that worked for one of the big three and as I said I work for a company that has manufacturing. I've seen/heard of much worse.

David Mullenix

Newish Member
So I guess my specific questions are

1. Should there be bolts in the wire loom piece under the engine cover (does anyone else have bolts?)
2. Should the presumed fuel line lock be locked?
3. Has anyone else received spare parts (should I have the dealer pull back the trunk liner and make sure my tail lights aren't going to fall out)
4. Is the paint shade missmatch normal and I'm just being overly sensitive to it?

I got an extra seat bolt under my passenger seat last week while vacuuming....spare parts I guess, I’m hoping I’m not missing a bolt somewhere.