Navigation Update V14 due out April 20, 2020

MrSmoofy

Sustaining Member +
Odessa, FL
They must have realized no one wanted to buy their shit ass navigation software so now they have to give it away for free.

peterpan223

So Cal
Nice! I actually like OEM navigation because it's nicely integrated into the HUD.
And in my area, So Cal, navigation directions are pretty spot on!
Only if I can have the "find / search" function working like the google maps, it'll be the best of both worlds!

MrSmoofy

Sustaining Member +
Odessa, FL
That would be a fantastic change, the download and update of the card was PAINFULLY slow, the update on the car side was about 10min
10 min would be fast, I did my free upgrade after purchase and it took the car over an hour to do the update.

RedCal

Toronto, ON
It would be amazing, I was caught completely off guard when I did mine the first time, who would have thought that it would take over 45 min to download and update a 8gig SD card!
I did it at the office thinking it would be quick... and I ended up driving home while I updated the car! (FYI it works, but you will lose navigation, and audio a couple of time in the process :laugh:)

D.J.

Does this say the V14 will be available for purchase only and v14.5 will be available for free download?

The first statement about purchasing a new SD card + shipping is referring to V14.0

The second statement about downloading is referring to v14.5

I wonder if that is a typo. Why would they be planning the release of V14.5 before V14 is available.

I wonder if the new profit model is, sell it early, and allow free downloads later. The price is reasonable now at $30 (used to be $200).

Attachments

RedCal

Toronto, ON
Odd for sure, but my guess is that V14 is done and loaded on SD cards, but they already know there is an issue with it, and 14.5 will have it corrected but the software isn't done or tested and that's why the July date.

MrSmoofy

Sustaining Member +
Odessa, FL
Does this say the V14 will be available for purchase only and v14.5 will be available for free download?

The first statement about purchasing a new SD card + shipping is referring to V14.0

The second statement about downloading is referring to v14.5

I wonder if that is a typo. Why would they be planning the release of V14.5 before V14 is available.

I wonder if the new profit model is, sell it early, and allow free downloads later. The price is reasonable now at $30 (used to be $200).
Yes lots of confusion information on that page. I'm not even 100% sure what version I have. The way I read that is for V14 you have to buy a new SD card FOR ONLY $25 ($30 CAD) PLUS SHIPPING CHARGES.

Then once you have V14 you will be able to download V14.5 in July. Maybe charge for major updates and minor updates for free.

Drudge

Connecticut
Yes lots of confusion information on that page. I'm not even 100% sure what version I have. The way I read that is for V14 you have to buy a new SD card FOR ONLY $25 ($30 CAD) PLUS SHIPPING CHARGES.

Then once you have V14 you will be able to download V14.5 in July. Maybe charge for major updates and minor updates for free.
That's what I was thinking as well. You'll be able to download the free version if you have the V14 pre installed.

D.J.

That's what I was thinking as well. You'll be able to download the free version if you have the V14 pre installed.
The versions have different version numbers.

14 comes out tomorrowa, but there is no mention of a download option for tomorrow, just a purchase option.

Tomorrow will tell.

All versions are said to free for Canadians , per the email Kia sent Nov 7 2019.
(You could read this as only the notifications are free)

Dear Dave,
Thank you for being a loyal Kia customer. We wanted to let you know that your Kia Stinger with VIN KNAE55LC1J6zxxxxx now includes map update notifications, free of cost, via our new Kia Navi Subscription Service.
Kia Navi conveniently reminds you of navigation updates throughout the year. Eligible owners like yourself have access to two downloadable navigation map updates annually for 10 years after the purchase of your vehicle! Once you subscribe, you don't need to worry about checking for updates — Kia Navi will notify you directly when there's an update to the software.
Roads and points of interest across Canada are constantly changing, which makes it important to always have an updated navigation system. In addition to saving you time on unfamiliar routes, the navigation software will also update places like new restaurants, banks, hotels and other locations that tend to change frequently.
There are two ways to get the update:
1) Download it yourself online by following the instructions here.
2) You can have a dealer do it for you*. Click here to find your nearest dealer and schedule a service appointment.

D.J.

There will be no download option for V14.0

Dear Kia Customer,
Our platform for complimentary downloads is currently undergoing technological enhancements and is therefore currently unavailable.
However, complimentary Map Updates are still available via online order. The latest map version 14 was released in April 2020.
Map updates are shipped media files specific to your vehicle on either a USB stick or SD card for a cost of $30.00 CAD.
Shipping fees are extra and vary depending on the carrier and shipping selection chosen.
To continue to the shipping website please click here.
You will have a chance to review your order before placing it and can cancel it any time in the process.

upload_2020-4-20_18-59-16.png