Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Muffler delete vs Catback...

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Volvowith18psi, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

So, Ive got the itch and only wanna scratch it once lol.

Sound aside, is there a benefit to a full 1500+ dollar catback vs a 300 muffler removal?

Which mufflers are people removing for the muffler removal / no drone / max performance? I have really found a good write up or legit dynos for the removal mod alone.

I been eyeing the JUN BL GT? catback, which he claims +39HP, but +39HP even to the crank seems...... EXTREMELY generous. I don't even notice what they did other than change mufflers and polished the pipe(lol). Nobody seems to be oversizing the pipe at all.

So, Im trying to hash out once and for all, price to performance, does a full catback deliver 1500-2k dollar results for the Kia Stinger.

Posting in a few different areas to maximize input.

2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I think answering if it's worth the price will depend on your tolerance for drone.

I doubt there is a combination of muffler/resonator delete that will get you a drone free exhaust note.

If you don't mind an insane amount of drone there is no reason to buy a cat back.

3. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Active Member

I was kinda going through the same debate myself, but from the results I've seen the catback doesnt give that much extra power to justify 4-5 times the price.

Not to mention most full catbacks seem to be louder than any of the muffler delete/axle-back videos I seen. I'm more concerned with power than sound and dont need to pay that much more $ just for a few HP and more noise.

I also agree that the +39HP from JUN seems extremely high, and that number must be with intakes as the top end HP would need the better airflow in as well as out. Dyno's show an extra 10-15HP/TQ just from muffler deletes, but its not until combined with the intakes do you start seeing 30-40HP/TQ.

I would like to see more dyno tests from different catbacks before making a final decision, but I highly doubt they will produce more than 15-20HP without intakes.

Until more evidence is available it seems like the most bang for the buck definitely goes to the muffler delete or similar. So for me its more of a debate between a $200-300 muffler delete, or a nice axle-back like the NGM Zeta for about $450.

As they say Decisions, Decisions...:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

Yea, Im all about performance only, dont care how it looks. Esp with the stinger having built in tips. Just not rust is all that matters really (So no 409 pipe). Just need to figure out what combo of removal is optimal... IE.., Mid mufflers only or mid muffler and end reso's?

While Im under there Ill look for any crushed bent pipe but....

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I'll save you some effort. The pipes are slightly oval. There's a crimp where the axle back and axle cross paths.

6. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

They change shape often all the way to the mufflers, almost. Very odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted