Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Moving the Stinger in Neutral ?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by DCBStingerGT, Mar 17, 2019.

1. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Every car i have owned has been an automatic, and all those previous cars including the Commodore I still own today, if you need to move the car ever so slightly forward or back , i would usually just put the auto in Neutral, and just push the car into the position I need, of course i am talking about a very very short distance, anyway here is what happened tonight, i had to take out the rubbish bins tonight to place them on the nature strip for collection, I have to take the bins through the garage from the back yard, unfortunately the Stinger was parked too close to the garage door, so the bins could not pass, never having to do this before in the Stinger , i tried to change it into Neutral without turning on the engine, then just push the car back just enough to leave a gap for the bins to pass in the front, no go on that one, so i start her up, and reverse it back, all done, and before anyone tells me to just start her up, i have no problem at all with it, i just didn't realise this is the first car i have owned that you can't put it in Neutral and push it, without the engine running, if anyone knows it can be done, please contribute and tell us all how you can do it.

2. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Had the same "issue" when i wanted to roll it slightly to clean the wheels. I doubt there's a workaround.

3. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Interesting, so what happens when the car say breaks down and has to be towed it would surely be in neutral then?

4. ShannonC

Good point, maybe I needed to push harder :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Did you take the park brake off? :p

Seriously though assuming you did that and it still didn’t work, I’m pretty sure there’s something in the manual I vaguely remember reading. There’s a small panel just in front of the gear selector that you can pop, then use the key (removed from the fob) to push in or move whatever is under the panel. It disengages the gears etc to allow towing. If you’re just wanting to move it to get bins past it might just be easier starting her up and rolling back/forward. Anyway that’s what I recall reading, but it’s been a while so check your manual. There has to be a way to do that for breakdowns etc.

6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

The manual says never tow the Stinger with the wheels on the ground. Use a flatbed or wheel dollies. AWD transaxles and the AWD system can be damaged if you allow the wheels to roll while being towed. If you are going to be towed using the tow hook with all four wheel on the ground, a driver must remain in the vehicle to operate the steering and brakes.

I've never had an automatic that allowed the shifter to be moved to neutral without turning the key to start position. Since the Stinger is keyless start, it only makes sense that you have to start it in order to move the shifter.

7. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

We don't have the AWD model here. Does it saying anything about the RWD in there?

8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Speaking of the car generally it says on page 6 | 23: "The use of wheel dollies or flatbed is recommended."

The cautionaries about possible damage to the transaxle only come under the AWD instructions, if you tow with the wheels on the ground. Exception: it says "Do not tow the vehicle backwards with the front wheels on the ground as this may cause damage to the vehicle." And: Do not tow with sling-type equipment. Use wheel lift or flatbed equipment."

Another general cautionary: "When towing your vehicle in an emergency without wheel dollies: 1. Set the Engine Start/Stop button to the ACC position. 2. Place the transaxle shift lever in N (Neutral). 3. Release the parking brake."

"Caution: Towing gear position
    Failure to place the transaxle shift lever in N (Neutral) may cause internal damage to the transaxle."

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ShannonC

What your referring to is called "shift lock override" and is detailed on page 5.20 of our AUS manual. It seems to refer to the process of getting a stuck in park transmission to go to reverse but that's only relevant for transaxle equipped vehicles.
    There's another section on page 5.29 about parking in neutral and wanting to push the vehicle (auto transmission with shift by wire, which our AUS are).
    All that seems to make sense but I doubt any of us want to park in neutral particularly with the handbrake off.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. ShannonC

Hypothetical:
    I return to my beloved Stinger and it won't start. I've followed my usual shut down procedure and both park and brake are active so I can't move it and decided to get to towed. I turn ignition to acc as detailed on page 6.39 but can't shift to N or release brake. I pop that little panel and depress the button, try shifting but P still displays on dash and I cannot release brake. Try the same procedure on the next ignition setting with the same result. I give up and call Kia!!!
    Seems the only way to get out of P and disengage brake is with engine running.

Draft saved Draft deleted