Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

More mods more smell?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by MekstingerGT, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MekstingerGT

MekstingerGT United States Member

So recently I've added a Pedal commander to my list of mods on top of my racechip. I've been running racechip of sport and PC on sport+. I have notice that after some spirited driving I can smell burnt plastic or rubber coming from the car. Cant smell it inside the car just outside. It's hard to tell where it's coming from. Can it be because the engine is working harder or is something actually burning? Car drives fine and no cel or hickups.

2. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

It is normal. What you are smelling is the warm new plastic. Usually after periods of driving hard, the enegine bay fills with hot air once the car comes to stop. The smell will go away after few heat cycles.

3. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I went out today and gave the car a few WOT pulls after changing some things up with my JB4.

When I came home the smell was pretty bad. I just left the garage door open to air it out a bit.

My car isn't new, I'm coming up on 12k miles and 7 months of ownership. I think it is normal and will last through the life of the car. I also think some of the smell is the tires rubber melting away. They do have a pretty soft compound.

4. MekstingerGT

MekstingerGT United States Member

Thanks for the info. Figured it's still a new car with a new car plastic smell.

Draft saved Draft deleted