Modding my stinger

hummus

Hello everyone I am new to the car community and would like to start modding my car. I recently went to a auto shop that does car modifications and they told me that I should add a cold air intake and a competition exhaust system, I’m all for the exhaust system but wasn’t to thrilled when he said these are the things I should get modded on my car first. I went there to get a upgraded turbo but was thrown off when he said this. Basically I was wondering if I could instead get blow off values installed and a new turbo instead. I did a little research but not much tbh. I have a base model stinger that came with turbo any input would greatly be appreciated!
Welcome. Modifying a car can be very satisfying from a hobbyist standpoint, but do consider that almost nothing is going to be all pros with no cons. Besides the obvious money involved, there is a cost to pretty much everything, and all too often the net effect of a mod can actually detract from the "goodness" of a car, even if it technically has higher outright performance.

Don't take this wrong, but based on your question, it would probably serve you best to hold off on doing something as major as a turbo swap. All sorts of things can go wrong or get worse doing something like this, and without very thorough knowledge of what you're getting into, disappointment is definitely a risk. There is a lot to learn, and you can save time and money, and avoid headaches by taking it slow. It can be very tempting to jump on an upgrade that you read about, but always keep in mind that you may not hear the negative side.

There is no substitute for personally experiencing what a mod does, as well as honest disclosure of what it is like to live with in the longer term. You don't typically get this from online reviews.

For the least amount of headache, the greatest improvement in performance, and peace of mind, this is probably the best advice:
I'll throw an out of the box opinion. If you're going to really start modding heavily - just sell and get a '21 GT if any are around you still. You'll get top dollar for your Gt-line right now given the used market and there's still a $4k rebate on '21 GTs if you trade.

Just saying, that's another way to gain 100+ HP.
The benefit here is not just another 100 HP. It's also retaining a very long factory warranty and preserving driving refinement. I agree with what others have said: for an aftermarket turbo solution--with supporting mods and tune--to match factory refinement and real world performance, it would cost far more than the stretch to buying a GT.

Boy2nice

Newish Member
Welcome. Modifying a car can be very satisfying from a hobbyist standpoint, but do consider that almost nothing is going to be all pros with no cons. Besides the obvious money involved, there is a cost to pretty much everything, and all too often the net effect of a mod can actually detract from the "goodness" of a car, even if it technically has higher outright performance.

Don't take this wrong, but based on your question, it would probably serve you best to hold off on doing something as major as a turbo swap. All sorts of things can go wrong or get worse doing something like this, and without very thorough knowledge of what you're getting into, disappointment is definitely a risk. There is a lot to learn, and you can save time and money, and avoid headaches by taking it slow. It can be very tempting to jump on an upgrade that you read about, but always keep in mind that you may not hear the negative side.

There is no substitute for personally experiencing what a mod does, as well as honest disclosure of what it is like to live with in the longer term. You don't typically get this from online reviews.

For the least amount of headache, the greatest improvement in performance, and peace of mind, this is probably the best advice:

The benefit here is not just another 100 HP. It's also retaining a very long factory warranty and preserving driving refinement. I agree with what others have said: for an aftermarket turbo solution--with supporting mods and tune--to match factory refinement and real world performance, it would cost far more than the stretch to buying a GT.
Hey man thank you very much sorry for the extremely late response. Taking in everything from what everyone has said has been a big help!! I’ve made myself a mod list but won’t get to it right away money tight :( but I’ll be keeping my stinger for now and not getting the 21 gt

Boy2nice

Newish Member
If you were looking to do major mods from the get go, then why not buy the 3.3 to start? Just curious.
Got the car before I even got into the car scene wasn’t planning on doing anything by my gf got me more into it

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Hello everyone I am new to the car community and would like to start modding my car. I recently went to a auto shop that does car modifications and they told me that I should add a cold air intake and a competition exhaust system, I’m all for the exhaust system but wasn’t to thrilled when he said these are the things I should get modded on my car first. I went there to get a upgraded turbo but was thrown off when he said this. Basically I was wondering if I could instead get blow off values installed and a new turbo instead. I did a little research but not much tbh. I have a base model stinger that came with turbo any input would greatly be appreciated!

Jumping in late - they probably told you those things, because they can DO those things. Not too many people are actually tuning a Stinger, never mind the 2.0, which gets even less love. Almost anyone can sell / install a cold air intake (many people here do their own - look at "DIY intake").

What does "competition" exhaust even mean? Do you like loud exhausts? Have you heard what a "loud" 2.0T sounds like? Might not be what you want. Personally, I am sensitive to too much drone and get headaches, so I prefer NOT to touch the stock exhaust. Plus, on recent cars, stock exhausts are not much of a limiting factor until you're really pushing everything else. Sure, if you're doing CAI, WMI, CPI, Tune + piggyback, DP, etc, then exhaust will get you some more power. But stock? I doubt you get more than 5-10 hp with an exhaust without tuning - for $1500+.

The single biggest "bang-for-buck", assuming you can do premium gas, is jb4. It can probably add 50 hp to your car. DIY intakes maybe another 10, if combined with jb4. Alone, maybe 5 hp.

However, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a slammed, "stanced" car, then look at suspension mods. If you want something that's faster, within reason, jb4 + intakes. Most people with the 2.0 probably call it a day at that point.

Boy2nice

Newish Member
Jumping in late - they probably told you those things, because they can DO those things. Not too many people are actually tuning a Stinger, never mind the 2.0, which gets even less love. Almost anyone can sell / install a cold air intake (many people here do their own - look at "DIY intake").

What does "competition" exhaust even mean? Do you like loud exhausts? Have you heard what a "loud" 2.0T sounds like? Might not be what you want. Personally, I am sensitive to too much drone and get headaches, so I prefer NOT to touch the stock exhaust. Plus, on recent cars, stock exhausts are not much of a limiting factor until you're really pushing everything else. Sure, if you're doing CAI, WMI, CPI, Tune + piggyback, DP, etc, then exhaust will get you some more power. But stock? I doubt you get more than 5-10 hp with an exhaust without tuning - for $1500+.

The single biggest "bang-for-buck", assuming you can do premium gas, is jb4. It can probably add 50 hp to your car. DIY intakes maybe another 10, if combined with jb4. Alone, maybe 5 hp.

However, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a slammed, "stanced" car, then look at suspension mods. If you want something that's faster, within reason, jb4 + intakes. Most people with the 2.0 probably call it a day at that point.
Hey thanks for your input still haven’t done anything but I’m looking for an “airy” noise to come from my car… I tried doing my research n came to the conclusion that it’s trumpets and bovs that produce that noise? This is what I’m looking for to get done on my car any advice also you said jb4 (piggyback) do I have to do anything to my car in concern to mods in order to use one not really familiar with them

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Hey thanks for your input still haven’t done anything but I’m looking for an “airy” noise to come from my car… I tried doing my research n came to the conclusion that it’s trumpets and bovs that produce that noise? This is what I’m looking for to get done on my car any advice also you said jb4 (piggyback) do I have to do anything to my car in concern to mods in order to use one not really familiar with them

I think the BOV will get you whoosh - I've never played with them on my cars, so I can't tell you too much. But, several places sell BOV-brackets that you can use to install your own valve. DIY intake (i.e. opening up the intake) will also make that sound louder. The DIY is the cheapest - maybe $75-100, and you'll get some improvement in sound. I think k8stingerstore has a few different options for BOV, including full kits.

At that point, see if you're happy.

jb4 needs to be plugged into your OBD2 port (close to where you pop the hood by your left leg) and 2 or 3 places inside the engine bay. Lots to read up on n54tech.com/forums. They answer questions quite frequently, lots of people will help you out, etc. The actual store is burgertuning.com (same place, one is the store, one support). burgertuning.com also sells a bov-adapter bracket.

Boy2nice

Newish Member
Also! Turbo mod needs alot of 'supporting mods' to assist the engine with the increases across the board.

My list of first mods.

New plugs
Intake
Exhaust (if you want it to be louder)
Bov

Then
Intercooler
Trans cooler
Tunning platform (jb4 or something)

Then
Meth injection
More tunning and tweaking
Better springs
Tires
Wheels (not that my order is law but this is my opinion)

Thhhheeeen you can think
Turbos
Real tunning like a new standalone ecu
Better injectors
New intake manifold

And now you have spent 10+k (if you are not one of the internet magicians who gets sponser deals) and you can make well over 100 more hp to the wheels.

The doctor has spoken!
Hey man hope your doing well I wanted to know what kind of bov I should get for my stinger I already have my intake picked out it’s a A.E.M CAS cold air intake, I wanted to know if there were ones I should stay away from and if possible maybe a 300 or less budget. I tired looking up stuff but everything was just underexplained and overwhelming.

DoctorStiches

Stinger Enthusiast
Hey man hope your doing well I wanted to know what kind of bov I should get for my stinger I already have my intake picked out it’s a A.E.M CAS cold air intake, I wanted to know if there were ones I should stay away from and if possible maybe a 300 or less budget. I tired looking up stuff but everything was just underexplained and overwhelming.
I have no problems with my tial 50mm single bov
Its maybe 130 for the tube that mounts to the recirculation system the car comes with and maybe another 150 for a tial 50mm with a 6lb (black) spring. Does the job fine and aounds right

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Boy2nice

Newish Member
I have no problems with my tial 50mm single bov
Its maybe 130 for the tube that mounts to the recirculation system the car comes with and maybe another 150 for a tial 50mm with a 6lb (black) spring. Does the job fine and aounds right
Thanks so muvc for the info enjoy your day and what ever you are doing man

DoctorStiches

Stinger Enthusiast
Thanks so muvc for the info enjoy your day and what ever you are doing man
I looked at prices.
230 for a real tial
85ish for a knock off

Up to you as it is just a valve.
Knockoff bov with name brand spring could do the job lol

But just banter not advice

Robilar

My first mod the week I bought the car was getting Eibach sway bars installed.

Made a world of difference in the handling.

JERisBRISK

Sustaining Member +
So to make this plain and strait forward. The guy at the shop gave you great instructions on a start to a build. Cheaper mods with good immediate change (for the better) and then you coming back with a bov and turbo upgrade is a biiiiiiiig step. Like this. Bov Intake Exhaust are teir one mods. Turbo is like teir 3 or 4 mod. I hope this makes sense and i mean no offence.
Welcome to the party!

As others have said, bigger turbos are wasted money without a proper intake to feed it and an efficient exhaust.

An engine is, after all, a glorified air pump.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!