Modding my stinger

Boy2nice

Newish Member
Hello everyone I am new to the car community and would like to start modding my car. I recently went to a auto shop that does car modifications and they told me that I should add a cold air intake and a competition exhaust system, I’m all for the exhaust system but wasn’t to thrilled when he said these are the things I should get modded on my car first. I went there to get a upgraded turbo but was thrown off when he said this. Basically I was wondering if I could instead get blow off values installed and a new turbo instead. I did a little research but not much tbh. I have a base model stinger that came with turbo any input would greatly be appreciated!

Attachments

• 6D0C3810-F209-4BC2-AE81-363352C7FCEC.jpeg
    6D0C3810-F209-4BC2-AE81-363352C7FCEC.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 34

DoctorStiches

Stinger Enthusiast
So to make this plain and strait forward. The guy at the shop gave you great instructions on a start to a build. Cheaper mods with good immediate change (for the better) and then you coming back with a bov and turbo upgrade is a biiiiiiiig step. Like this. Bov Intake Exhaust are teir one mods. Turbo is like teir 3 or 4 mod. I hope this makes sense and i mean no offence.

DoctorStiches

Stinger Enthusiast
Also! Turbo mod needs alot of 'supporting mods' to assist the engine with the increases across the board.

My list of first mods.

New plugs
Intake
Exhaust (if you want it to be louder)
Bov

Then
Intercooler
Trans cooler
Tunning platform (jb4 or something)

Then
Meth injection
More tunning and tweaking
Better springs
Tires
Wheels (not that my order is law but this is my opinion)

Thhhheeeen you can think
Turbos
Real tunning like a new standalone ecu
Better injectors
New intake manifold

And now you have spent 10+k (if you are not one of the internet magicians who gets sponser deals) and you can make well over 100 more hp to the wheels.

The doctor has spoken!

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Welcome to the forum. Modders do most of the posting here, so, I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas. :thumbup:

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store

Authorized Vendor
Hey Boy2nice,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Kia Stinger!

I think the shop gave you some great advice for beginner mods.

It's best to think of modding the car in the context of a mechanical system.

I often advise people to get more air flowing out of their existing engine and first focus on maintenance and basic bolt-ons.

This would mean that an Add W1 Oil Catch Can (CLICK HERE), Injen Intake (CLICK HERE), and Magnaflow Exhaust (CLICK HERE) would be a

perfect starting off point for your Stinger build, before doing turbo swaps.

If you are looking for a great bang for the buck mod and want more power from your turbos, I would suggest a JB4 w/ HKS Spark Plugs.
(CLICK HERE)

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, need suggestions, or if you would like to receive a discount on your order!

Enjoy the new ride,
Daniel @ the K8 Stinger Store

jthrelf

I'll throw an out of the box opinion. If you're going to really start modding heavily - just sell and get a '21 GT if any are around you still. You'll get top dollar for your Gt-line right now given the used market and there's still a $4k rebate on '21 GTs if you trade.

Just saying, that's another way to gain 100+ HP.

DekCan

I'll throw an out of the box opinion. If you're going to really start modding heavily - just sell and get a '21 GT if any are around you still. You'll get top dollar for your Gt-line right now given the used market and there's still a $4k rebate on '21 GTs if you trade.

Just saying, that's another way to gain 100+ HP.
Only reason I sold my 2.0 and got a 3.3 cause they paid me more than what I paid for even when I put 10k more miles on it.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Boy2nice

Newish Member
So to make this plain and strait forward. The guy at the shop gave you great instructions on a start to a build. Cheaper mods with good immediate change (for the better) and then you coming back with a bov and turbo upgrade is a biiiiiiiig step. Like this. Bov Intake Exhaust are teir one mods. Turbo is like teir 3 or 4 mod. I hope this makes sense and i mean no
Thank you for the help doctorStiches hopefully your list will provide me with some insight on where to start!

Boy2nice

Newish Member
What year is your Stinger? I had an 2019 2.0 before I upgraded to a 2020 GT1. When I had the 2.0 I didn't really feel like the car needed much modifications unless it was for cosmetics.
I have a 2018 base model this is what my engine bay looks like I haven’t added any mods yet!

Attachments

• 38110E66-DD24-498E-AA1C-7321C99E7B60.jpeg
    38110E66-DD24-498E-AA1C-7321C99E7B60.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 23

monusa

Stinger Enthusiast
I really appreciate it I honestly didn’t think anyone would respond
My 0.02 worth......previous 2.0 owner and you will need to ask yourself what do you want/expect from your car/mods? 0-60/1/4 mile, overall increase in performance, Scatpack hunting, or just overall improvement in how the car runs/drives??????/ Ok, Scatpack hunting is going to be a stretch but you get my point.;)

Even the 2.0 is a good overall Stinger but it does labor a bit when trying to move the weight of the car quickly. Weight is more of a deterrent than the powertrain. Be that as it may, I went with jb4/plugs/KN drop filter and the 2.0 performed closer to what I was wanting. The thing is, going hardcore from a mod standpoint, will cost quite a bit vs. just getting the 3.3.

Realistically, you can get quite a bit of fun out of the 2.0 for not a lot of money but expectations for upper-level performance, would make more financial sense by getting the 3.3. if the 2.0 is where you are going to be at, then focus more on the handling since it is lighter than the 3.3 and tire,swaybar, suspension upgrades will do the car a world of good.

In the end, it is your vehicle and what you want from it is totally your call. This forum is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rpoffen

1000 Posts Club!
California
Performance is all about getting the engine to breathe. To do that you remove restrictions and exhaust and intake are a good start. Upgraded turbos will need those anyway and opens up a whole can of worms. A new Bov does nothing for performance, just better sound when letting off the throttle.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
If you were looking to do major mods from the get go, then why not buy the 3.3 to start? Just curious.

Last edited:

Ric 'Ochet

Stinger Enthusiast
A car that can efficiently breathe will be the best initial mod imo. So cold air or panel filter and snorkel, exhaust, down pipe. Most forum members agree the Ram air intake is relatively constricting. Adding sway bars will give the car the confidence on the highway and manage the weight shift better.
My $.02

Ric 'Ochet

Stinger Enthusiast
Performance is all about getting the engine to breathe. To do that you remove restrictions and exhaust and intake are a good start. Upgraded turbos will need those anyway and opens up a whole can of worms. A new Bov does nothing for performance, just better sound when letting off the throttle.
Dang. Just saw this. What he said..