kia stinger store

Bad Mixed Experience: Napleton Mid Rivers Kia (St. Louis area)

GPhenom

Now that 2022s are finally getting on stock in my area, I finally went out to test drive some Stingers with the goal of driving. GT-Line and a GT2 to see the difference b/w the 2.5L and the 3.3L engines.

I actually went to Lou Fusz Kia first b/c I was in the area and their website showed they had both. Unfortunately, they only had the GT-Line on site. I test drive a Panthera Metal with the sun and sound package. It was rather enjoyable compared to my 2018 CR-V.

I thought maybe I could save some $$$ after all and be content with the GT-Line.

Then I made my way over to Napleton in the St. Charles/St. Peters area b/c I was certain they had some GT2s in stock.

When I arrived, they had a bunch of white Stingers and a Ceramic Silver GT2. It wasn't red interior but still very close to my ideal car. I went in and asked for a sales rep so I could look at it and test drive it.

The guy they sent, Jovany, was a younger guy. He said he had only been at the dealership a few months. But he was really cool. He got the keys, showed me the car. He knew a lot about it, even though he was pulling some things out of his you know what when he didn't know the answer to questions.

I asked to take it out. He went and got a plate and then hopped in the car to go. I thought it was a little odd considering Lou Fusz just tossed me the keys to the GT-Line and sent me on my merry way. Also, when I was going thru the purchase of my (wife's) 2022 Hyundai Tucson, nobody batted an eye at tossing us keys. But it's a $55K car, so it didn't really bother me. I just noticed it.

Jovany was cool anyway and we had a good chat. He reminded me to throw it into Sport Mode. When I did, the Turbo 6 blew me away and I instantly knew that I had to have the GT2 in my life.

We got back to the dealership. I had told Jovany that this was more of a recon mission and that I intend to buy one but I'm not in a rush as I have six months left on my current lease. I intend to wait for a good price, ideal color combo and improved incentives once they have been out for at least a few months.

I asked Jovaney for a card and promised to call him first once I saw some better deals available (he said they're not discounting anything atm. Everything is MSRP.)

He went to get his card and that's when it went left. His sales manager comes out and proceeds the full court press pressure tactics. He went on and on about the chip shortage and how if I don't buy the one I drove or reserve one with red interior right away that it could be two or three years because I get the one I want and at that point I'd probably be paying $5 or $6K over MSRP. Plus there were container ships stuff off the coast full of Kias that are never gonna make it to shore due to COVID.

He did the whole questioning if I was a "serious buyer" thing. When I would parry away one of his pressure tactics attempts, he would go on to the next. I had nowhere to be, so I didn't just walk away. I would just nod as he talked, respond why I disagreed with what he was saying then watched as he tried to figure out another angle to coerce me into a purchase, deposit or reservation despite the fact that he didn't have the car I wanted NOR was he offering a single cent below MSRP.

He eventually saw I wasn't budging and finally walked away...after like 30 minutes of hard selling.

vipeboy2000

Middle Tennessee
Now that 2022s are finally getting on stock in my area, I finally went out to test drive some Stingers with the goal of driving. GT-Line and a GT2 to see the difference b/w the 2.5L and the 3.3L engines.

I actually went to Lou Fusz Kia first b/c I was in the area and their website showed they had both. Unfortunately, they only had the GT-Line on site. I test drive a Panthera Metal with the sun and sound package. It was rather enjoyable compared to my 2018 CR-V.

I thought maybe I could save some $$$ after all and be content with the GT-Line.

Then I made my way over to Napleton in the St. Charles/St. Peters area b/c I was certain they had some GT2s in stock.

When I arrived, they had a bunch of white Stingers and a Ceramic Silver GT2. It wasn't red interior but still very close to my ideal car. I went in and asked for a sales rep so I could look at it and test drive it.

The guy they sent, Jovany, was a younger guy. He said he had only been at the dealership a few months. But he was really cool. He got the keys, showed me the car. He knew a lot about it, even though he was pulling some things out of his you know what when he didn't know the answer to questions.

I asked to take it out. He went and got a plate and then hopped in the car to go. I thought it was a little odd considering Lou Fusz just tossed me the keys to the GT-Line and sent me on my merry way. Also, when I was going thru the purchase of my (wife's) 2022 Hyundai Tucson, nobody batted an eye at tossing us keys. But it's a $55K car, so it didn't really bother me. I just noticed it.

Jovany was cool anyway and we had a good chat. He reminded me to throw it into Sport Mode. When I did, the Turbo 6 blew me away and I instantly knew that I had to have the GT2 in my life.

We got back to the dealership. I had told Jovany that this was more of a recon mission and that I intend to buy one but I'm not in a rush as I have six months left on my current lease. I intend to wait for a good price, ideal color combo and improved incentives once they have been out for at least a few months.

I asked Jovaney for a card and promised to call him first once I saw some better deals available (he said they're not discounting anything atm. Everything is MSRP.)

He went to get his card and that's when it went left. His sales manager comes out and proceeds the full court press pressure tactics. He went on and on about the chip shortage and how if I don't buy the one I drove or reserve one with red interior right away that it could be two or three years because I get the one I want and at that point I'd probably be paying $5 or $6K over MSRP. Plus there were container ships stuff off the coast full of Kias that are never gonna make it to shore due to COVID.

He did the whole questioning if I was a "serious buyer" thing. When I would parry away one of his pressure tactics attempts, he would go on to the next. I had nowhere to be, so I didn't just walk away. I would just nod as he talked, respond why I disagreed with what he was saying then watched as he tried to figure out another angle to coerce me into a purchase, deposit or reservation despite the fact that he didn't have the car I wanted NOR was he offering a single cent below MSRP.

He eventually saw I wasn't budging and finally walked away...after like 30 minutes of hard selling.
an unfortunate event that is far too common everywhere it seems... Had a similar experience at a local toyota dealer helping a friend purchase .. when she didn't feel comfortable making the purchase the day of, when we had very clearly stated she wasn't ready to buy that day, we were told to wait, and given many many price cuts and made uncomfortable by the managers saying how we had wasted his sales people's time etc that we were being ridiculous..(btw, there probably was 10-12 sales people around the dealer doing nothing and maybe only 3-4 other customers) at this point after they rudely told us how we were horrible people for doing this to them we started to walk out with my friend in tears only to be followed by the supposed head manager who opened my car door as i was attempting to back out and berate our behavior... only because we didn't buy that day even though she liked the car alot and actually would have probably purchased it the next week from them.. instead, they got horrible reviews and lost out on a customer and maybe more since we both are not quiet about how we feel about this place to anyone...

I will definitely never forget that experience as it was singularly the WORST experience i've had at a car dealer ever.. and i've had many not great ones... i expect tactics and slimy behavior from dealers a lot but never to the point that I was yelling back at the manager that I would call the police if he did not remove his hands from my vehicle and let me leave his dealer! Sad part is, if i were not there, my friend said she probably would not have been able to leave and would have made the purchase due to their pressure..

No wonder it's one of the largest dealers in my area...

sorry for the long post haha.. your experience triggered me.

To that end, the Kia dealer i purchased from was like a luxury experience... seriously no pressure, and they accepted my offer on my indigo on the first round once we sat down and didn't even push any extras on me as i stated i am not interested in any thing else they had to offer from the get go. But I specifically went to the one i went to as i know/heard of issues at a closer dealer to me...