Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Misfires / Turbo Failure

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by bal, Aug 26, 2018.

1. bal

bal United States Member

Just wanted to report I had the second engine issue with my GT1 today.

1) 100% stock - Misfires around 750 ODO, dealer replaced Plugs / Coils and was good to go for another 600 miles (before mods).

2) Modded - Driver turbo blew in 4th around 4500rpm. 2300 ODO Metal bits in the intake, pressurized oil into the exhaust. Thick billows of white smoke and a lot of oil, perhaps all the oil.

Will let you know if the local dealer can confirm the exact cause of failure and repair estimate in the next few days.

Mods:
    JB4 v4 FW w/Fuel Control - 100 Octane race gas @ Map5
    HKS 45il Plugs @ 0.25
    Borla S-Type Exhaust
    Injen Intake
    HKS SQV Blow-off valves
    Tork Oil Catch Cans

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Ouch, that doesn’t sound good, sorry for your problem, keep us posted.

3. Christopher

Christopher United States Member

This might be a stupid question as I haven't modded my Stinger, but is this repair going to be covered under warranty with the mods you have? I know as long as the mod didn't cause the failure you're usually in good shape, but you have the JB4 and guessing that might be a problem. What has Kia said? Or... do you de-mod it before you take it in?

4. bal

bal United States Member

After an evenings work, it's 100% back to stock and will be towed to the dealer that way. If KIA sees any non-cosmetic mods, even exhaust or intake they can decide to void the warranty. The JB4 is undetectable as it does not modify the ECU (piggyback) and easily removable within 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

damn, sorry to hear that. let us know how it goes with the dealer and the exact cause of the failure.

How hard were you driving the car and how often on each MAP etc?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

That’s not entirely true. Kia has to prove the mod caused the damage. If so, it isn’t covered under warranty but your warranty isn’t voided.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Fun while it lasted? You were probably making over 550 crank hp.

You think the +7 psi over stock you were running might have something to do with it going BOOM? :thumbdown:

Looks like someone finally found the car's breaking point. Thanks for taking one for the team. You're 2018s MVP.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

So, stock plugs with stock gap?

9. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Mod list shows HKS at .25

10. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Let us know what the dealer finds out and decides to do.

11. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

There was a fb post about this yesterday from another stinger owner. Ouch on the car man.

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

This is a horror story. :eek:

13. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Member

Be hesitant to post things like this in the future before taking your car in. Any dealership that reads about this and then gets a car with a blown driver turbo around 2300 on the ODO on Monday now knows it was modified.

Also, while the JB4 "may" have caused the failure, I seriously doubt it. A catastrophic turbo failure at such low mileage would normally be due to a manufacturing defect IMO

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Jwolf

I'm not saying it is right to unmod the car to unfairly make a warranty claim, just saying that if you plan to do that you shouldn't announce it on a public forum when you are quite possibly the only one to have experienced this failure as of yet.

However, in this specific case, it would be nearly impossible for the modifications to have caused the failure. If the JB4 caused detonation in the cylinder that then caused debris to enter the turbo, that is one possibility. Or the EGTs were so high from leaning out the AFRs that the bearing is already completely fried, but I doubt that would happen so quickly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

+7 psi over stock + altering the AFR + 100 octane race fuel seems like it has the potential to mess some things up pretty easily.

But you seem to know more about the technical side of things than I.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jwolf

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely potential to mess things up in the motor and the turbo. I just wouldn't expect the turbo to go catastrophically like that in such a short amount of time unless there was a defect. We will see what the dealer finds though. I hope it was caused by a defect

• Like Like x 2
  17. DaJackson

This thread is about this particular failure. If you want to debate why people mod cars please start your own thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

What a shitstorm. So sorry to hear this happened, i agree posting about this ahead of the warranty work isnt a smart idea, especially with all the KIA dealers being so active on here. My suggestion would be to have a mod delete this whole thread and fill us in on the story afterward. If you go that route i would PM burger to let them know about the failure so they're aware. Goodluck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly United Kingdom Member

I think in this instance the two things could be related. If you hide the fact the car was modded then the OP already believes this to be the case.
    If KIA only gets half the story how can they come to a fair assessment of what caused the failure?
    Modding cars carries risks, major failures can be expensive, which is why neither the company that supplies the mod or the car manufacturer underwrites them - caveat emptor.

20. DaJackson

Feel free to discuss his mods as it relates to the failure.

The deleted posts were an immature argument about why people mod cars that weren’t going to help understand the current situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted