Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Microsoft, the model of capitalism

Discussion in 'Community Lounge' started by MerlintheMad, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I just installed Word 365, Microsoft's current iteration of their always changing word processing app. After trying to somehow salvage Office Word 2007 to my new laptop (less than a week old) I finally tossed my hands in the air and did the one-time buy: $160. Grr. I guess that twelve years of 2007 isn't a bad return for an outlay of a similar cost (so it was a lot more back then in 2007 dollars). But it annoys me no end to have to ditch a perfectly good word processing program just because Microsoft no longer supports it. I didn't dare try one of the offered free downloads of Word 2007; the websites all looked dicey like they have a lot more hidden in mind than being altruistic dispensers of free defunct Microsoft programs.

2. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

"Cheese! I just luuuv cheese, really I do!"

4. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

5. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

It looks like he posted this in the Lounge - which is the place to discuss things other than our passion for automobiles...

@MerlintheMad - have you tried some of the free open source solutions?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I am also still on Office 2007 at home!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

I was under the impression that anything MS with the "365" behind it was an annual subscription for a web based app. They still offer the computer based Office installs, but they cost more than 160 (unless it is bootleg). I was lucky enough to bag 2 copies of Office 2010 from a friend who worked at MS when I saw the writing on the wall with everyone going to web-based subscription content. I also have nothing that is "cloud" based after reading the fine print on many programs and apps. Kinda spooky the access you have to give to use some of these apps...

...edit: I probably got the pricing wrong. You can get versions for 160. I use the business or Pro versions and THOSE are the more costly ones.

8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Subscription-based models are preferred across virtually every industry - even autos, in fact. The self-driving on-demand trend will ultimately drive that, despite the protests of driving enthusiasts..

9. MerlintheMad

I was, until Wednesday last week. My HP of just under three years packed in: started overheating, with the cooling fan sounding like a jet taking off. It's either the motherboard or the CPU. Either way, dead. And Office Word 2007 did not transfer over with the data/files/programs transfer from the dead to the new laptop.
    Too lazy, and untrusting. :p I've been composing text files using 2007 since, well, 2007. It was starting to get buggy anyway. And it isn't supported. And my new 'puter is really spiff; so why look for free/buggy/risky word processing programs when I've got this really terrific laptop and it's brand new? So, I reasoned with myself in a similar way as I do with my Stinger: pay that much for a car; do not economize or pinch pennies; just get what is designed for it and works best, etc. :)
    Subscriptions, heh! It really rattled my cage to think of paying even the least monthly amount for Word 365 on one machine, seven bucks a month. Then I saw the up front one time cost and went for that.
    Capitalism certainly loves subscriptions: continual income/growth. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find Microsoft offered a one-time purchase option. And that it is reasonably priced.

It just bugs me that Office Word 2007 was only supported for ten years. That is capitalism at its worst: deliberately designed obsolescence. It's all about the $$$$$$$; and too often that wins over doing the humane thing. Lots of struggling people have difficulty just surviving, let alone coughing up over a hundred and fifty bucks every ten years for this, that and the other thing(s).

10. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

I haven’t had a home PC for something like 8 years now. I am pretty much on networked iPad with wireless keyboard . None of Microsoft pc based stuff for nearly a decade is so so nice.

The choice for me to leave Microsoft and pc based architecture is capitalism.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. MerlintheMad

I like big screens, Cali. :)

12. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

13. Helo58

Have you tried looking on YouTube for your computer model disassembly notes? I had a similar issue with an older laptop (9yrs), took it apart and found the cooling fins and fans to be clogged with dust. Compressed air cleanout and two new cooling fans later, it works like a champ, still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MerlintheMad

I'm happy for you.:thumbup:

PC Laptops did a complete cleaning of my HP; they promised to get it cool as a backup computer for me, as long as a cleaning did the trick, since I was buying one of theirs. That was before they discovered that the overheating had nothing to do with fans of fins or messy buildup. Their subsequent diagnostic ($300 of labor, they said!) crunched it down to those two possibilities; motherboard or CPU.

15. Helo58

It is possible that you had an overtemp with the CPU, it is more likely that the paste between the heat sink and the CPU is now missing due to previous excessive temps. Most computers, especially laptops will have thermal protections built in that will shut down the computer prior to permanent damage being done. If you like to tinker, add some thermal paste back in between the CPU and heat sink. To see if it worked or what is wrong, hit the F2 key during start-up (soon after pressing the power button), go into the BIOS and you will be able to see your system temps including motherboard, CPU, fan speeds, etc.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted