Metallic Clank

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
Good Day All,

I have a 2020 AWD GT1 with approximately 1250 miles on it.
When I’m going around 40mph or higher and go over a moderately sized bump/joint crack in the road where the rear of the car hops/goes straight up and down I am hear a metallic clank sound.
I have not heard it if only one rear tire hits a nice size bump; it has to be both tires.
While driving on somewhat less bumpy roads, the car is relatively quit.
I checked the spare and battery area with both of those items being tight.
The exhaust seems pretty tight.
Not sure if my car is experiencing the infamous rear hatch issues which I thought were fixed by now?
I have a dealer visit this Thursday, but was looking for some possible opinions from you.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I'll bet its the infamous "trunk thump" have you added the 2 washers to the rear trunk supports ?? search here for trunk rattle etc , you'll see what this might be

G

G-347468

I'll bet its the infamous "trunk thump" have you added the 2 washers to the rear trunk supports ?? search here for trunk rattle etc , you'll see what this might be
Thank you for the suggestion, but I have not since the “trunk thump” just recently started.

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
I messed with the two rubber stoppers on either side of the hatch and unscrewed them practically all the way out which seems to have worked.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I messed with the two rubber stoppers on either side of the hatch and unscrewed them practically all the way out which seems to have worked.
it will , temporarily , wrap some tape around them to reduce their ability to screw themselves back in , which they seem to do , start researching about adding a washer to each side of the guides on the hatch .....................thats the real fix :thumbup:

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
it will , temporarily , wrap some tape around them to reduce their ability to screw themselves back in , which they seem to do , start researching about adding a washer to each side of the guides on the hatch .....................thats the real fix :thumbup:
I watched two separate videos on YouTube and it seems pretty easy to accomplish.
One guy used just screws and another used screws and some type of thin rubber padding as well.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
I watched two separate videos on YouTube and it seems pretty easy to accomplish.
One guy used just screws and another used screws and some type of thin rubber padding as well.
just need a torx wrench and washers or the rubber material

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
I was wondering how to get those weird screws out of the guides, but now I know; thank you.

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
I think after sometime has gone by, I think I have pinpointed where the noise is coming from which is the rear passenger seat; driver side rear is fine while up.
After dropping the seat and driving around in and around my neighborhood, the sounds that I have heard are gone when the seat is up.
I’ll assume the noise while the seat up is coming from the rear seat latch mechanism, and when I go over a moderately sized bump there is some movement.

runner1

Mine was a second tow hook laying on the first tow hook in the spare area/foam tool holding insert. It was literally laying on top of another hook.

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
Mine was a second tow hook laying on the first tow hook in the spare area/foam tool holding insert. It was literally laying on top of another hook.
At least you got that taken care of.

Frenchy_418

Quebec City
There is also the possibility of pebbles stuck in the rear spring base of bellow the strut. Its quite common with ppl who have gravel driveway.