Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Manual shifting mode without changing gear? (Electronic shifter)

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by DTCST, Jun 14, 2019.

1. DTCST

DTCST United States Newish Member

Hello,
    I have GT2 with electronic shifter, or drive-by-wire.
    Is there way to get into the manual mode(paddle shifter) without changing gear?
    As I know, if I use left or right side of paddles, gear shifts either up or down.
    I want to get into the manual mode, staying at current gear.
    Is it possible to do so?

2. Gtecko

Gtecko Canada Active Member

I think that as soon as you hit the shifter it either move you up or down the gear... I d like to know if there is a way as well to see what gear you are in

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wilzer

Wilzer United States Active Member

Look in the instrument screen, after pressing paddle + or -, where the "D" used to be, gear # appears. Also, if you paddle shift and want to return to "D" either hold + down or I like better, grab the shifter and pull it back.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Capecod

Capecod United States Member

My truck always shows what gear I’m in,I wish the gear # always showed up on the stinger

6. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

just curious, if you aren't manually shifting, why do you want to know what gear you're in? Is it something you want simply because you're used to it, or is it information you actually use while you're driving?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Capecod

Just info and used to it, I notice the same thing the op did, need to shift up or down for it to change.

8. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

How do you use it though if you aren't manually shifting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Capecod

99% of my driving this car so far has been all HW in D, the other day was the 1 st time I actually got to have some fun on some backroads messing around in manual mode, I was curious while in D going in and out of curves what gear I was in that’s all.
    Just something I’ve gotten used to and made a mental note of and was wondering the same thing as the op

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

In Sport mode, using the paddles shows the gear number until you come to a complete stop, then the trans reverts to "D" until you pull away using the paddles again. Anyway, that was the final word a while ago when this came up before. Several drivers were complaining that using the paddles only temporarily showed the gear number, then "D" came back. That ended up being true in every mode but Sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arnie War

Arnie War Canada Active Member

Does anyone know how strong this transmission is with a heavy torque value before you run into troubles , just got wind that some where having transmission troubles, just asking ???

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

This transmission is "bullet proof" in stock cars. Of course, being a mass manufactured device some few will have faults/failures. That's what warranties are for. A 100K mile warranty tells you how reliable these cars are. When somebody modifies the OE drivetrain they are of course playing with reliability and their warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted