Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

MAGNAFLOW for 3.3TT

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by GTB, Apr 1, 2018.

1. GTB

GTB United States Active Member

Performance Exhaust 19406
    Installation sheet, Product number and product information listed.
    Personally will be trying this out once it's released. :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sound clips?

3. GTB

4. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator

florida
    Honestly, not very impressed with sound. Maybe a little less drone than the stock system. Am researching to find out what exhaust system is on the Alfa giulia. That since a great sounding exhaust. And yes, I know it is a bi-mode system. Hmm, maybe I will just throw some glasspacks or cherry bombs on the Mrs stinger.......

• Like Like x 1
  5. GTB

Maybe Magnaflow is aiming for the quiet side of things. I feel like its hard for manufacturers to find a happy medium since some will like loud, others quiet. EVC bridges the gap lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Active Member

Liking the sound of this one so far. I've never liked a really loud exhaust, especially at idle and low (i.e. local neighborhood) speeds - but something with a little bit of a burble I could possibly get on board with. I may be in the minority on this, but I think Kia had the right idea with the electronic exhaust note created in the cabin - let the driver experience the additional sound (if wanted) without subjecting those outside the car to the extra noise.

Not sure I'd actually bother changing it out, but I'll be interested to hear more on this - MagnaFlow has a pretty good rep for quality products.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Active Member

Sorry, have to disagree..."fake" sound pumped into the cabin is the worst idea ever. If you want to listen to fake exhaust sounds, by a CD. Noted the Stinger dont have a CD player so stream it i suppose.

Hopefully there will be some good EVC options to make us all happy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I like the magnaflow option specifcally because it's so quiet. I'm more interested in moving restrictions from the stock exhaust than making the car sound louder.

With that said, for me it would probably make more sense to just have an exhaust shop remove the crimp and resonators.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Weareblondi

florida
    but, the stock system isn't loud. not until you are leaning into it on the highway. the magnaflow is, to my ears, quieter than the stock system, which means more restrictions. i am not advocating a booming exhaust note, ex. my punkass neighbors son and his honda civic laundry chute exhaust tip, but i digress, a little oomph when idling would be great. just a little more throaty, just to keep all the wannabe's away. as for a bi-mode system, it depends on the weight and complexity of the system. i can just install some electric cut-outs and be done with it. oh, the days of yore when you just capped off your system with some plumbers taps and removed then with a monkey wrench to go racing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Active Member

And I expect many others will feel that way as well. Digital replication of real world exhaust sounds is fairly new, but like recreating a dead actor in a Star Wars film, there are people firmly in both camps - yet they are getting better at it all the time.

Considering that many of the early video reviewers on the car either said they weren't sure whether the sound in the cabin was real or generated, or flat out didn't know it was synthetic, I'd say Kia did a pretty good job of sampling and digitally replicating exhaust sound. It's matched well to engine RPM and throttle position, and sounds quite authentic to me.

If the intent is let the car occupants hear the engine perform, and not to broadcast to a perhaps non-receptive audience, then I think this technology is spot on. I expect that cars will soon have entire sub menus of different exhaust 'tracks' to choose from, including pops, backfires, etc., especially as external sound emission regulations grow increasingly stricter.

Perhaps we need a Turing test for this - what happens when you can't tell the digital recreation from the real thing? Is it still unacceptable then?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GTB

Resonators have a straight through flow design. I believe the Magnaflow uses only resonators giving the exhaust a lot of flow. A simple google image search of the inside of exhaust components will show you quite a bit.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

GTA
    I've bought Magnaflow for my past IS(s) and was very pleased with the added rumble without going over the top.

However, on the Stinger, from the video, sound is not as loud as I'd like. I hear more intake than exhaust.

13. GTB

Once the glass packing in resonators breaks down the exhaust note will become louder.

14. Kazz

Kazz United States Stinger Enthusiast

Basing opinion on a video's not a good way to make a decision. I'll wait to hear more - literally and figuratively.

I'm about performance, I don't need it "louder". Give me one that increases power without introducing unwanted noise and we have a winner. Add the ability to have an electric and/or electronic cut-out and I'm likely all-in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Weareblondi

florida
    I have had magnaflows on my other various muscle cars and they are great, this example I wasn't so thrilled with. And yes, I do realize what resonators are and how they are built, but, unless I am so old and haven't kept up with the times, if it didn't get louder/throatier it was being restricted.

16. Grayt 8

Grayt 8 United States Member

Iowa
    I can't imagine the Magnaflow system is quieter than stock. Any comparison videos? Do we know what the first video even is showing us?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

18. Sarge2070

Sarge2070 United States Member

I went to the website and they also have it 25 % off the $1375 at the moment. Did an online chat thing. Magnaflow is in final production and anticipate the first orders will ship in late May- Early June. I am still evaluating the Borla exhaust. Borla is loud and sounds great under rapid acceleration but not very refined when cruising at a steady speed. I have heard similar reports on JUN BL and ARK. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is on the Magnaflow version.

19. Sarge2070

Sarge2070 United States Member

Magnaflow Promotional Video

20. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

GTA
    ^^^This actually sounds pretty good. Smooth deep and not too loud.

But drone... who knows...

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: