LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey DJ, very low KM's approximately 14600. The issue has been there a wile, I chatted with the service manager just in passing about it and he almost repeated what you said verbatim. Just I dont see a lot of people saying anything about it. Or people just accept it as a part of a AWD LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) fact of life, heavy sigh.
Mine is a Canadian 2018... So open diffs for me. Kinda wish I had the rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential), but no chatter with the open diff :)

With your super low KM's, if the chatter is repeatable, you should push for a warranty fluid swap. I doubt they will offer it without a fight

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

AUStingerGT

I had no noises or vibrations, my car felt like I was driving with the park brake on first thing in the morning & went away once it was “ warmed up”.
They changed the oil & this symptom went away & i have had no issue since.
This is exactly what mine is doing currently. Has 54,000km on it. Has been getting gradually worse for a while now. I dont get my car serviced at kia dealership but i do get logbook stamped. Have it booked in to get looked at in a few weeks time. I will relay what I have read here and elsewhere and tell them it probably just needs the newer fluid and hope they just fix it with no fuss and dont make up some other cock n bull excuse.
Pretty sure my brakes need replacing too as they shudder under heavy braking when coming down hills etc but confident both issues completely unrelated.

Bumping this thread from a search. I have this problem, and changing the rear diff fluid did not help. The persons affected above are not from the North American market. Are there any American or Canadian guys having this issue as well?

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney
Bumping this thread from a search. I have this problem, and changing the rear diff fluid did not help. The persons affected above are not from the North American market. Are there any American or Canadian guys having this issue as well?
Did you change the diff oil with the upgraded type as detailed on the TSB that is posted on this thread.

AUStingerGT

This is exactly what mine is doing currently. Has 54,000km on it. Has been getting gradually worse for a while now. I dont get my car serviced at kia dealership but i do get logbook stamped. Have it booked in to get looked at in a few weeks time. I will relay what I have read here and elsewhere and tell them it probably just needs the newer fluid and hope they just fix it with no fuss and dont make up some other cock n bull excuse.
Pretty sure my brakes need replacing too as they shudder under heavy braking when coming down hills etc but confident both issues completely unrelated.
So to update anyone that cares. Went into Kia today. They rang this arvo and said it needs a new Diff :oops: . Obviously putting it through warranty but just have to wait until approved then will get it replaced. Thought it had felt/sounded weird for a while now but just downplayed it for a number of reasons.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

karu

US owner here. Created an account just to say that I’m having this problem as well. I commute and take road trips often, so mostly highway miles on my ‘21 GT. I changed the diff oil myself just before 35k miles were on the clock about a week ago. I’ve heard 75w90 Valvoline with LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Additive is good to use so I gave it a shot. Practically the same as 75w85 the Stinger requires, but it seems the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on these cars are more temperamental than you’d expect based on this thread. Thinking about draining and refilling with OEM fluid as it may remedy the problem, but it seems a dealer checkup may be in order despite the mixed experiences from this thread.

Side note: At some point between my last oil change (34k miles) and the diff oil change at 35k miles, the bottom panel you have to remove with 6 screws and a pop clip was stolen / fell off some how. Not sure if that has anything to do with the below noise, but here’s the problems I’m having.

I’m experiencing a moderate thunk noise and shudder when changing gears from park to reverse only (when cold, before and after diff oil change). In addition, only the first turn on a cold start makes a chattering sound from presumably the diff. The diff noise has only just started after I changed the fluid / when the bottom panel was taken.

DyerMaker

Mine is a Canadian 2018... So open diffs for me. Kinda wish I had the rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential), but no chatter with the open diff :)

With your super low KM's, if the chatter is repeatable, you should push for a warranty fluid swap. I doubt they will offer it without a fight
So the continuing story is I finally got a Kia Mechanic in the car and he agreed there is a drive train issue. So as of right now my Stinger is in the Kia shop for testing to see if it is the Differantial or the Transfer case, they have given me a Forte wile mine is in the shop (heavy sigh). They said they would have to get "K Tech" involved, I guess thats the internal Kia Techs they have to refer to, not sure? They say they could have the car up to a week for diagnostics, they want to be sure because it is a $9000.00 repair. Then god knows once a decision is made.

AUStingerGT

So to update anyone that cares. Went into Kia today. They rang this arvo and said it needs a new Diff :oops: . Obviously putting it through warranty but just have to wait until approved then will get it replaced. Thought it had felt/sounded weird for a while now but just downplayed it for a number of reasons.
Car has since been fixed. New diff is in and feels amazing. Almost forgot what its meant to feel like with smooth gear changes.

DyerMaker

So the continuing story is I finally got a Kia Mechanic in the car and he agreed there is a drive train issue. So as of right now my Stinger is in the Kia shop for testing to see if it is the Differantial or the Transfer case, they have given me a Forte wile mine is in the shop (heavy sigh). They said they would have to get "K Tech" involved, I guess thats the internal Kia Techs they have to refer to, not sure? They say they could have the car up to a week for diagnostics, they want to be sure because it is a $9000.00 repair. Then god knows once a decision is made.
Update, after in the shop for two weeks, diagnostics, consultation and repair (and me with the Forte, apparently in the fine print of the Kia warranty they do NOT have to provide you with a replacement transportation if your car is in for warranty repair) I now have my Stinger back with a new Transfer case, and the dealer said it has not repaired the issue (they are leaving the new Transfer case in place). They gave me the car back and the issue is worse then ever. I had to return the car the next day because it feels like the rear end is just grinding whenever there is any torque on it at all, undrivable. Now the rear diff is on order, they provided me with a new Sorrento and hopefully in a week the issue will be resolved. Heres me crossing my fingers that this will be resolved with the diff.