kia stinger store

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

5tinger

Mine is Oct 2017 build date & diff oil was replaced under warranty 18/10/18.
Did your Stinger have symptoms since day one you got it? Or were the noises /vibrations gradually worsening? Mine is at 2,500km, I know barely driven and I have not really noticed anything unusual

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Did your Stinger have symptoms since day one you got it? Or were the noises /vibrations gradually worsening? Mine is at 2,500km, I know barely driven and I have not really noticed anything unusual
I had no noises or vibrations, my car felt like I was driving with the park brake on first thing in the morning & went away once it was “ warmed up”.
They changed the oil & this symptom went away & i have had no issue since.

5tinger

I had no noises or vibrations, my car felt like I was driving with the park brake on first thing in the morning & went away once it was “ warmed up”.
They changed the oil & this symptom went away & i have had no issue since.
That's not something I've experienced, however, during cold starts I get the occasional shudder when selecting between drive/reverse.
Since my dealer is pretty much ignoring me, I will search for other dealers just to be on the safe side.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
That's not something I've experienced, however, during cold starts I get the occasional shudder when selecting between drive/reverse.
Since my dealer is pretty much ignoring me, I will search for other dealers just to be on the safe side.
That shudder could be just the backlash in drive shaft when switching between drive/reverse due to cold oil in the transmission.
If your dealer is ignoring you, move on, what State/City are you located in.

5tinger

That shudder could be just the backlash in drive shaft when switching between drive/reverse due to cold oil in the transmission.
If your dealer is ignoring you, move on, what State/City are you located in.
My dealer is from Parramatta area in Sydney..
I will defiantly seek alternative dealers to rectify the issue should it be needed.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
My dealer is from Parramatta area in Sydney..
I will defiantly seek alternative dealers to rectify the issue should it be needed.
A couple of Stinger owners I know go to Blacktown Kia with positive outcomes.
My dealer is Great Western Kia @ Kingswood also not too bad.

chrisv55

Ok guys I have a brand new 2020 Kia Stinger GT purchased July 4th, 2020 (idk the build date or how to find that) and have the same rear end thud/clunk problem when turning under acceleration. Seems to be have been there from day one but getting a tad worse. It's a lot more noticeable on right turns for some reason. Just made an appt with the service manager to go in next week and he said he's never heard of this issue on a Stinger. So I'm going to bring in the TSB you kindly attached here and hopefully the rear end oil change will solve the issue (if they are even open to doing that!) I'll keep you all updated

5tinger

Ok guys I have a brand new 2020 Kia Stinger GT purchased July 4th, 2020 (idk the build date or how to find that) and have the same rear end thud/clunk problem when turning under acceleration. Seems to be have been there from day one but getting a tad worse. It's a lot more noticeable on right turns for some reason. Just made an appt with the service manager to go in next week and he said he's never heard of this issue on a Stinger. So I'm going to bring in the TSB you kindly attached here and hopefully the rear end oil change will solve the issue (if they are even open to doing that!) I'll keep you all updated
Surely 2020 Stinger's come with correct fluid.

chrisv55

Surely 2020 Stinger's come with correct fluid.
I guess changing the diff fluid was just wishful thinking on my end. So hearing a thud every time i accelerate while turning is just a normal part of this car? I've had many other lesser rear wheel drive cars (ex. 1999 camaro ss) that never did this...

chrisv55

Your gonna laugh. So went to the dealer, could not produce the problem. Tried so many turns with the tech in the car, couldn't get it to do it. Funny thing is car even does it consistently even after it's been driven and warm...but not today. so i just made sure to get in writing that i did bring it in and complained about the issue so there is record of it incase something happens down the line...

I'm kind of glad I didn't leave the car there b/c the tech didn't speak much English. When I asked him if he's seen this issue with Stingers before, his response was something along the lines of "I don't know anything about this car. Is this a 4 or a V6?"

that's pretty alarming...

Helo58

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Your gonna laugh. So went to the dealer, could not produce the problem. Tried so many turns with the tech in the car, couldn't get it to do it. Funny thing is car even does it consistently even after it's been driven and warm...
Mine was most likely to make the noise when cold, but would also do it warm. The trick for me was to turn right or left at full lock and lightly press the accelerator. The LSD (Limited Slip Differential) made the most noise under load and would not always do it in a full lock turn where I was only coasting. The resulting noise was kind of a rhythmic whirring noise.

5tinger

I guess changing the diff fluid was just wishful thinking on my end. So hearing a thud every time i accelerate while turning is just a normal part of this car? I've had many other lesser rear wheel drive cars (ex. 1999 camaro ss) that never did this...
The thud certainly is abnormal.
However - 2020 build models would surely be using the correct fluid. Hence most likely the problem is not related to the fluid type.

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
Your gonna laugh. So went to the dealer, could not produce the problem. Tried so many turns with the tech in the car, couldn't get it to do it. Funny thing is car even does it consistently even after it's been driven and warm...but not today. so i just made sure to get in writing that i did bring it in and complained about the issue so there is record of it incase something happens down the line...

I'm kind of glad I didn't leave the car there b/c the tech didn't speak much English. When I asked him if he's seen this issue with Stingers before, his response was something along the lines of "I don't know anything about this car. Is this a 4 or a V6?"

that's pretty alarming...
That is so disturbing. :eek: