kia stinger store

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Take it back ASAP, this is what they should have put in it.
153C4C58-6C51-412E-90D8-24073587C979.jpeg

Sindo

UPDATE: dealership confirmed it was the diff oil causing the vibration. They replaced it with the upgraded oil as per TSB. They confirmed that they put the standard oil in during my recent 40K service as not all Stinger are affected by this issue.

It's smooth as now. No vibration at all. Thanks to this forum, otherwise i probably wouldn't have taken the car in to get checked.

JMP

Ontario Canada
Seems like it's for the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential), and the AWD stingers don't have a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential). Maybe the GTS.

The GT2 AWD (called the "GT Limited" in Canada) has the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) rear.

Mine has the shudder when its cold and you do a tight turn....reminds me of my old 70 Buick GS that had a 12 bolt posi LOL. FWIW, I just call it the "The posi hop". Regardless I'll mention it when I go in for my first service. Funny though, mine is 2020, you would think they would have sorted this out by now.

Doesn't bother me much as I grew up with Muscle cars that always had LSD (Limited Slip Differential)'s. I suspect all they add is a friction modifier into the diff to help the clutch packs slip a little easier, allowing the inside axel to slip (I did this for my Mustang).

General_Vodka

Stinger Enthusiast
Moon
The GT2 AWD (called the "GT Limited" in Canada) has the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) rear.

Mine has the shudder when its cold and you do a tight turn....reminds me of my old 70 Buick GS that had a 12 bolt posi LOL. FWIW, I just call it the "The posi hop". Regardless I'll mention it when I go in for my first service. Funny though, mine is 2020, you would think they would have sorted this out by now.

Doesn't bother me much as I grew up with Muscle cars that always had LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential)'s. I suspect all they add is a friction modifier into the diff to help the clutch packs slip a little easier, allowing the inside axel to slip (I did this for my Mustang).
Wait how come you guys get LSD (Limited Slip Differential) with AWD? That's not fair. My only option was RWD or GTS.

I have just passed 13000km with my car and this morning I noticed a noise from the diff as I backed out of the driveway and turned into the street, came here to investigate and found this thread, I’ll keep an ear on it and get the oil changed next service

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
I have just passed 13000km with my car and this morning I noticed a noise from the diff as I backed out of the driveway and turned into the street, came here to investigate and found this thread, I’ll keep an ear on it and get the oil changed next service
Best to get it done now in case it worsens.

5tinger

What's your build date?

5tinger

Best to get it done now in case it worsens.
Funnily enough I called Kia service department & the guy pretty much said since there's no recall on your car they will not do anything.
I told him preventive maintenance surely is better than risking potential damage from acting too late.

Last edited:

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
Funnily enough I called Kia service department & the guy pretty much said since there's no recall on your car they will not do anything.
I told him preventive maintenance surely is better than risking potential damage from acting too late.
Unaware of the TSB! I'd be looking for another dealer.

5tinger

Unaware of the TSB! I'd be looking for another dealer.
The TSB is quite vague in that it doesn't specify certain VIN/build date it applies to or whether it's applicable to all.

Surely Kia would keep records of what fluids are being used at the production lines...?

I'm guessing the friction modified implies 'full synthetic' meaning it performs better and more importantly lasts much longer.
The regular one may function well until a certain mileage - this is then wear n tear will start to occur.

I'm disappointed by the lack of competence of the Kia dealers.
The Stinger is truly excellent & a product of exceptional quality, shame Kia's general service is not up to par.

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
The TSB is quite vague in that it doesn't specify certain VIN/build date it applies to or whether it's applicable to all.

Surely Kia would keep records of what fluids are being used at the production lines...?

I'm guessing the friction modified implies 'full synthetic' meaning it performs better and more importantly lasts much longer.
The regular one may function well until a certain mileage - this is then wear n tear will start to occur.

I'm disappointed by the lack of competence of the Kia dealers.
The Stinger is truly excellent & a product of exceptional quality, shame Kia's general service is not up to par.
I read it as "All" fitted with LSD (Limited Slip Differential).
Here's what you need....
20190408_115949.jpg

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
So your implying that Stingers being built today are still being filled with the incorrect fluid?
How long did it take Kia to complete the change for you?
I can't comment on current build dates.
Job should take no more 30-40 minutes.

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
So your implying that Stingers being built today are still being filled with the incorrect fluid?
How long did it take Kia to complete the change for you?
I would assume that once the TSB is released this would include all Stingers shipped/sold prior to the TSB.
Once Kia realises there is an issue such as this any vehicles manufactured after the TSB release would have this issue addressed in the factory prior to assembly.

5tinger

I would assume that once the TSB is released this would include all Stingers shipped/sold prior to the TSB.
Once Kia realises there is an issue such as this any vehicles manufactured after the TSB release would have this issue addressed in the factory prior to assembly.
Mine is Dec 2018 build date

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW