Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by upsidedown, Aug 27, 2018.

1. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

Sounds like you need some sway bars m8.

2. ZeroPenguins

ZeroPenguins Australia Member

Quick update, my diff oil was finally changed when I took my Stinger into the shop to get the paint fixed (paint stripped around the headlights). They took a long time to get the diff oil in stock, the first time around they only ordered 1 Litre (one bottle) when they needed two bottles (2L) to change the diff oil. Anyhow, I have not been chasing them up about it since I have been super busy with work (and getting sick from a bad flu), so that is probably the other reason why they took as long as they did to replace my diff oil.

3. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

4. ZeroPenguins

I do :), the loan car they gave me was an awfully slow MG ZS (1L 3 Cylinder engine), it took over 10 seconds to get to 100KM/h and I was very happy to get my Stinger back today.

5. AV8R

6. ZeroPenguins

It was getting dark when I picked up my car, I will have a look tomorrow and report back :thumbup:

7. TagUrToast

TagUrToast Australia New Member

Hello fellow Stinger enthusiasts and owners.
    I'd just like to report that I have also had issues with the Rear Diff in my stinger (Aus GT 3.3L RWD).

Today I took the car to the local dealership to have it looked at, and they agreed that the diff is the issue and they will need it for awhile. The dealer was also able to sort out a courtesy car, which was a great relief.

I doubt the oil change will fix my diff, as I'm suspecting that it's physically damaged internally (self destruction).

A bit of a detailed backstory:
    At my apartment complex, to reverse the stinger out of the car space, I need to reverse under full wheel lock. I would do this 1-2 times a day. At least once a day when the car is stone cold in the morning. I've always heard a noise when doing this, but I thought it was just normal for an LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Just a 'whirring' sound similar to an old manual car reversing. This always seems most noticeable when the car is cold.

In the last month, the noise begun to get louder, and for the first time, mechanical symptoms started to appear. At some point when doing my usual full wheel lock reverse out of the car space, a small jolt (and jolt noise) could be felt about half way through the turning manoeuvre. Both myself and my partner noticed this when in the car, as it feels like the car fell into a pot hole or drove over a medium thickness branch (1 inch maybe). I thought this was just junk under the car, but it begun to get consistent every time we reversed out of the car space.

Simultaneously to the above, when driving on imperfect road conditions, I felt like the car was being pushed around left-right slightly at the back. Just an inch or so either way occasionally. I thought this was just one tyre grabbing and the other pulling, and put it down to wet weather at first, but I don't think the weather was actually the cause, as I noticed this later on when the diff was really playing up.

Within a week of the two above events happening, I was out driving, and accelerated hard out of a kerbside car park, and a few meters into the acceleration I heard and felt a massive bang from the rear of the car. It honestly felt like the rear of the car fell off. There was no debris on the road to hit etc, even though it sound like it had hit a cinder block or kerb etc. The car didn't seem to have any power loss afterwards, but did develop the next symptom, which caused me to take the car to the dealer today.

The major symptom, was that from the moment of the loud bang, the diff honestly felt like it was about to fall off. any change from stationary - acceleration - deceleration would result in small bangs coming from the rear of the car, like it was bolted on loosely and flopping around with accel and decelerations. As this was over the long weekend, I drove the car very gently over these few days. The noises were definitely worse when the car was cold. The diff seemed less broken as it heated up. The handling of the car was greatly affected, and any driving over 70kph had a loud whine from the diff.

If anyone has any questions, Let me know, particularly if it results in anyone potentially saving their diff from full replacement. Hopefully the replacement doesn't have any of these issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

You know their gonna say it’s your fault for backing up with full wheel lock. Lol.

Hope they get you squared away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AV8R

10. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Unfortunately the exact same thing happened to me, and is unfortunately happening again even after differential replacement.:mad::cry: I had these issues begin several months into ownership so I began studying these threads. I brought my car in to service as soon as I realized the sounds from my LSD (Limited Slip Differential) weren’t normal.

At that time(8/2018) this was a brand new issue in the USA so Kia wasn’t even aware of the special oil and jumped directly to a full differential replacement due to metal shavings already in the oil. They had a new differential shipped in from Korea and after a week I got my car back and all was well, for a little while at least.:unsure:

Shortly after I started noticing the same type of whinnying noise & shuttering in the rear end so I explored these threads again. At that time I saw forum members start posting about a TSB for special differential gear oil so I took the car back to Kia(10/2018) and explained this solution to my service advisor. They claimed they never heard of such a thing so I showed them the Australian TSB about the special differential gear oil repair. Unfortunately that didn’t matter and they sent me home without a resolution. They even stated on my service invoice “No TSB on KGIS for this concern at this time so the tech will not perform the TSB that was referred by the customer. No work performed at this time and waiting on tech line for further instructions on the repair.”:confused:

Over the next few weeks all the symptoms continued to get worse so I kept calling in for updates. They repeatedly said they were still working on it and finally a whole month later got approval from the Kia tech line and ordered the new proper gear oil. So they let me drive around on a new differential without the proper oil while the issues continued to get worse for months until they finally added the proper differential oil on 11/2018.:thumbdown:

At that point I hoped it was finally resolved, but sure enough the same disheartening symptoms have come back again for the third time. I brought my car back to Kia(1/2019) but this time they started playing games and saying everything was operating normally. They documented “Could not replicate the concern at this time. No problem” and released the car back to me without fixing it. I argued with the service manager because I knew this was nonsense, but instead of trying to help she just accused me of driving the car too aggressively and any issues I had was my fault. This was the worst customer service I ever experienced so I asked if I could file a complaint with the GM. They said he wasn’t available and gave me some toll free number to call which just brought me to some automated Kia help line. I left furious and swore I would never return to that dealership ever again.:mad:

Unfortunately the noise, shuttering & all the symptoms you explained above just kept getting worse so I got a referral from a fellow Stinger buddy and made an appointment(4/2019) to see his dealership even though it was an hour away. To my amazement the service advisor explained to me that my previous dealership reported to Kia corporate that I abused my car so they declined warranty work on a separate ongoing warped rotor issue.:( They made me pay for a rotor resurfacing myself and then reported “vehicle is operating normal. differential was replaced at an other dealership before and no repair done at this time”.

I love my Stinger but have had such a bad experience with multiple service centers I may have to proceed with a lemon law on the reoccurring differential issues, or try to file official complaints against Kia for defamation, etc. I honestly don’t know what to do and hope you or anyone else never has to go through this type of BS yourselves.:cry:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Wow! I'd be up for murder at this stage. Hows the blood pressure? That's a bloody disgrace and scary to know Kia will go that far to disown and muddy your name to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TagUrToast

That honestly sounds terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible experience.

To what extent have your issues got to compared to mine? When I dropped it to the dealer it was impossible not to get the car to create loud banging, even if you got your grandma to do the most gentle 3 point turn possible, it would still make the banging on gear change (drive - reverse etc). Has yours got to this point and Kia are still not acknowledging the issue?

I spoke with my dealer today for more information and they stated that the differential is damaged, will need to be replaced, and has damaged some adjacent parts around it which they are trying to replace under warranty also. (If anyone could guess what else it could have damaged, it would be great to know!) They wouldn't tell me specifically what was damaged until the warranty claim to Kia Australia is approved.

They also stated that the likely timeframe for the repair would be 2-4 weeks which seems very long. Not sure how any of it could take that long, unless the parts physically don't exist and need to be fabricated?

The dealership have been excellent with the service and communication, and seem to be trying their best to get it sorted, which is great.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Most of the delay would be in getting parts from overseas. Actual repair i would estimate at no more than a full day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TagUrToast

It seems weird to be waiting weeks for slow shipping when they would be paying a reasonable amount per day for the courtesy car + insurance (as I'm under 25) I'd guess around $60-120 per day, resulting in at least $420-840 per week.

Express shipping should only take a couple of days, and cost a few hundred at most, particularly for a global organisation such as Kia.

I'm really hoping to get more information on exactly what is being replaced etc. Would be good to know.

15. Ozstung

Hey Tag would you mind putting your location in with your avatar it helps with meets and other local events. Cheers, if you like put your age in to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Thanks and I’m really sorry too. Such a great car overall but what a disheartening experience and I now know why so many people complain about the Kia service department. It’s disgraceful especially for a $50k car...

Initially, before the replacement it was almost as bad as yours. Whining, shuttering, hopping, grinding(slight banging) and too much power pushing from one side or the other causing me to correct the steering on any type of turn. They said they found metal shavings in the oil and it was close to self destruction like one other USA member on here.(His exploded on the highway at 50mph, locked up his rear end and almost crashed). They didn’t hesitate to replace it then.

Since then it never got as bad, mostly because of the special friction modifier gear oil they added months after the replacement. It definitely helped slow down the the development of the issues. The few times Kia drove it and said “can’t replicate the problem” was while it was warm and issues where less pronounced. Unless you did a U-turn under power or had room to do a figure 8, the whining noise was the most noticeable symptom and they kept saying it was normal while turning with the steering locked to one side.:rolleyes:

At that point they said the new gear oil should have solved the problem claiming “checked the oil level & it was full..Normal operation..Differential already replaced..No problem”. It has slowly gotten worse to the point I now hear occasional bangs, rear end hops over uneven roads, uneven power to each tire, and shuttering under power.

My worry is since the service manager I argued with reported to Kia that I abused the car, I will have trouble trying to have it fixed again. If they deny my warranty claim like they did for the warped rotors I’m screwed. I don’t have the $5k to replace it or tons of money for a lawyer to fight it. This is why I’m concerned and hesitant to bring it in again. I may have to talk to consumer affairs and see if I can get approval from a regional district manager sent to the dealership and then they would take care of it under warranty. I will be starting that process knowing you and other have similar differential issues.

As for the timeframe they did tell me 2 weeks for replacement parts to come in from Korea since they weren’t items they kept in stock(back ordered?).

Also, the first dealership I got the car from had an excellent service director and didn’t hesitate to have problems fixed immediately no questions asked. I truly felt like a VIP owning a Stinger. Unfortunately he left when they brought in a new GM and I got stuck with a new guy that knows nothing about the Stinger and was not an auto enthusiast at all. Just seemed like he was there to cut costs down by pinching pennies and made everything more difficult. Since then the experience has been awful. I had to contact them for updates while my car got worse, but they just kept telling me everything was fine.

It’s amazing how different service can be when you go from someone that cares, to someone that only cares about their bottom dollar. Horrible experience since the change and a service manager that deliberately sabotaged me because she didn’t like me challenging her nonsense answers. I feel like they just didn’t want to be responsible for a recall or Lemon Law vehicle and did everything they could to blame me. What happened to the customer is always right???:unsure:

17. TagUrToast

All done, If there's anything interesting on, please let me know.

It's interesting to hear that yours had similar issues the first time. Sort of shows that there definitely was some sort of defect with the product on a larger scale. (the defect could just be the wrong oil)

It's disappointing when you get stuck with an awful dealership. The good ones are like gold!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ozstung

Hey 'Toast a few of us Sydney contingent are going down to this to meet up with the ACT boys for a cruise.

Stinger Cruise Canberra 28th July

Draft saved Draft deleted