Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by upsidedown, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Awww, but dad....lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club!

Don’t give up your day job! Lol

3. AV8R

Diffinitely made a diff erence...:rofl::laugh::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Mine goes in for the 10k in a week and I have mentioned it when I booked in.

Did they easily come to the party?

5. Stinger GT SS

They certainly did, it is a service bulletin once your dealer checks they will get or may already have the oil in stock & replace no charge to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Was yours showing any signs of problems before you had the oil replaced? I thought I heard/felt a slight shudder the other day going from reverse into drive. It happened briefly as I began to accelerate. Best way to describe it is that it feels like the back end is struggling to get traction. It was a common problem in the Ford Falcons we had at work but only ever felt it taking off from a standing start, and was worse if turning out of an intersection while accelerating after being stopped. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on it to be sure the Stinger is doing the same.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Stinger GT SS

I had no noise, mine just felt tight until it warmed up, it was like the handbrake was on & if you took your foot of the gas it was like it grabbed to slow you down, there was certainly resistance there & then seemed to disappear when it got warm. My advice to all is to get it changed when you can, is under warranty so no cost for peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Ok I’ve felt that too when I first start off cold, ease off the accelerator and the car feels like it’s grabbing, a bit unsure of itself. I thought maybe the pedal was a bit touchy but it was only a guess. Makes more sense now, also confirms I wasn’t just being paranoid and over sensitive with a new car

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Stinger GT SS

I understand what your saying, I’m the opposite with a new car, dealers issue to fix if problems, I would be more paranoid about problems on a used car.

10. Boognoss

Boognoss Australia New Member

My oil was replaced today. I won't hear it in the carpark at work so will listen for the sound tomorrow morning at home. Fingers-crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LUFCfan

LUFCfan United Kingdom Newish Member

Had my diff oil replaced on Wednesday and all has been absolutely fine since. No transmission noise at all now and it certainly feels to be doing its job better to keep the rear in check. Overall, very pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Banzibarn

Banzibarn United Kingdom Newish Member

Hi. First post :)

I have a shudder (not a noise as such) when reversing on full lock, and pulling out of T-Junctions. I've booked the car in on the assumption that the Diff oil needs changing.

I'm interested however on the mention of the rear end control being affected when the Diff has the wrong oil? Fair enough, I've only had the car a short time and in winter so the roads have always been pretty wet, and the car has nearly 400bhp, but I do have a gut feeling that the rear moves more than it should (although like I say, it could just be the weather/power combo), and also, as I understand it, in Sport mode, the TC is backed off a bit.

What do others think? I notice a lot of Aussie members here so i'm sure you're a lot less used to wet roads than I am here in the in UK!

Cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  13. AV8R

If you catch it early and change the oil no issues or damage for the diff. Either way its under warranty and would be replaced. Change the oil and see how you go then lets us l know the outcome.

14. Banzibarn

Will do :)

15. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Oil Must do ASAP.
    Loose rear, fun isn't it..... Its better than having a nanny TC start taking over..

16. Banzibarn

Yep, it's a lot of fun, and very controllable too. I just want to be sure that the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is doing what it should be doing, which is to help grip. I've had a couple of instances where it's let go in a straight line - nothing too scary, and easily held, but I have a gut feeling that it shouldn't be doing that. But like I say, the car has a lot of power, and in Sport mode on a wet road, I guess it's to be expected.

17. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

it's hard to say. If it's wet and I give it more than half throttle in first or second in sport mode, the rear end will kick out. I've had it do that in first when it's dry when it's really cold as well. The car makes a lot of torque, so nothing may be wrong. Also, something this car (and the G70) does naturally. If you're taking a corner and hit a bump, the tail end will kind of feel like it jumps or skips. Feels a little disconcerting, but that's how the suspension is set up.

18. Banzibarn

That's good to know - just need to learn the limit of traction then and go easier in the lower gears.

19. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

it's honestly a bit hard to drive this car in sports mode when it's wet. Granted even when the tail end kicks out the car maintains control very well and sometimes it's fun to do on purpose...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Banzibarn

This is exactly my feeling. Initially I wasn't sure how much slip Sport mode would allow so was instantly lifting off and correcting any slips in the fear of something bad happening. Now that I've had a bit a time to play on some empty wide roads I've realised that the car limits the slip pretty effectively so you're never likely to get out of control - just keep it planted and make the appropriate steering inputs, and the car sorts it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted