Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Service Bulletin - Oil Update

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by upsidedown, Aug 27, 2018.

1. upsidedown

upsidedown Australia Member

I spoke to my dealer today about an issue I've just started noticing. On an intermittent basis I can feel a slight shudder when doing low speed turns mostly in reverse but sometimes forward as well. This was after I had been hit by another car in the left back wheel so thinking it may have damaged the diff I wanted them to test it. I was then told that there was a service bulletin for anyone that mentioned the problem otherwise it would be done at the next service (at least here in Australia) for the oil to be replaced with an updated product or it may have been an additive. Not sure which? Anyway it looks like a 2 to 3 week wait for Kia Australia to get the product before I can test whether it fixes the problem.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Don't forget to ask for a copy of the TSB.

Mine goes in for a service in 2 months. I'll wait, but still mention it before hand .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. upsidedown

I've asked for other TSB's that I have had done before but they won't give them to me?

4. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Spain Member

Interesting. I have noticed a slight shudder when reversing out of the drive on full lock.
    I put it down to the cold tyres on the driveway, it does seem to go when the car is warm.
    Never thought it might be the LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Perhaps the new oil is lower viscosity?

Keep us informed, my car will be back in for its second (12,000 mile) service pretty soon - will mention it then.

5. Terra

I would change dealer......

6. upsidedown

Well if I lived in a city like Melborne that had multiple dealers I "could" but when I have to travel 40 miles then no I don't think I would bother over not getting a TSB. If the service was crap then that might be different

7. Terra

Good point.....

8. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I posted this in another thread, but seems to be related so heres a recap of my situation.

9. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Spoke to my service dealer today about this, he went away & asked the question, came back & said they are changing the diff oil if customers are reporting any noises. They are ordering some oil in & they will call me when it’s in & will change it as a precaution.
    I really like my service dealer nothing is a problem will answer questions honestly & openly.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I already updated the other “broken differential” thread and here is a copy of my results below.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tazztattoo

Tazztattoo Australia Active Member

I had the subtle droning grinding happening when reversing out of my driveway every morning when the engine was cold and steering in full lock. Dealer first changed the diff oil with no improvement so second step was a new diff and problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. upsidedown

Yes I am keen to see whether an oil change (still waiting for oil) fixes mine?

Did the dealer use the new oil or additive as specified in the TSB on yours or just replace what was already in it?

13. upsidedown

The oil info - my service is next week so I will update whether it's fixed

Kia Diff Oil.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

great info. Thanks for sharing

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. upsidedown

The oil has now been replaced and the grinding noise when slow speed turning has disappeared so that seems like its been fixed

The rear end movement has been substantially lessened but it still moves a little at times. Considering it has always been somewhat jittery I think it is now back to normal. I've had the diff problem for about 4 weeks so now I'm used to the excessive movement so I'm not sure whether I'm being overly sensitive to it

Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dick Dastardly

My car goes in next week for a change in oil, so hopefully will be sorted out as well.
    Apparently the new oil is very expensive (circa £100.00 / litre), which is probably why this is not yet a general recall and has to be approved by KIA before dealerships take action.
    BTW, thanks for the really useful information, which I copied onto a UK Stinger site.

17. Dick Dastardly

Update: Oil changed yesterday and problem seems to have been resolved.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Patrick D.

Patrick D. United States Newish Member

I have had my GT2 RWD for three months, build date is 3-15. Is this a problem with earlier build dates? So far 2200mi i have had none of the problems listed on this forum or the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) noise. Am i just lucky or does the noise show up with more mileage?

19. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Had my diff oil replaced under warranty today, I will know in a day or so if it made a diff....erence...sorry could help it.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia Active Member

That’s terrible. Go to your room.

Draft saved Draft deleted