Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Noise, when cold

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by BlackGhost, Mar 6, 2018.

1. So, RWD + LSD (Limited Slip Differential) are a big attraction for car enthusiasts. That’s why most of us are here!

Question for the current owners: if you put a hard steering lock on when cold, do you get rumbles, shudders, noise from the rear end? Of the car that is. I do. Once the diff is warmed up, it’s fine, nice and quiet, no issue.

I’ve had cars with LSDs in the past and haven’t noticed this myself.

Of relevance is that I’m now in a parking spot that requires a sharp turn or 3 straight up.... a pic attached helps to give you the idea 3B3DF67C-FCAF-44E6-804F-02163E7120B9.jpeg

Gurus out there??!

2. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Nope, doesn't sound right.

I would get it looked at by the dealer ...

3. Yeah I will do at the 10k service. Catch of course will be that the car incl diff oil needs to be cold to replicate....

4. sean888

sean888 Australia Member

There should not be noise from the LSD (Limited Slip Differential). One of those cases where you need to leave the car at the dealer all day so they can check the diff at the end of the shift when all is cool. Either that or leave it overnight with them. In the meantime I would be having the diff oil level checked to ensure it is not under filled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Killian

Killian United States Member

Mine does the same thing actually

6. jdsyd

jdsyd Australia Newish Member

I have the same noise when cold. It is going in in about two weeks for an overnight stay.

7. JD, Keep us posted.

I had my 10K service done today actually, where they claim to have checked the diff and found nothing faulty. You're doing the right thing by letting them experience the 'cold start' experience. If they come out and say it's fine to have the odd shudder at the rear end (??!!) that's fine with me.... as long as I'm not doing damage

8. jdsyd

jdsyd Australia Newish Member

I had the 10k service today. They thought there was a slight noise. They want me to bring back in two weeks. I also had a leak on the front right brake caliper that has taken some red paint off. They are replacing it. They also replaced some rubbers in boot. Said it was a noise related recall.

9. Ok, keep us updated in a couple of weeks then......

The boot/hatch fix is widely discussed in this forum. That's good they did that for you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salman

Salman Saudi Arabia Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge, what does LSD (Limited Slip Differential) do exactly?

11. Kazz

Kazz United States Stinger Enthusiast

An open differential allows all the power to flow to a single wheel on a given axle. Like what happens when you have one tire spinning and you're going nowhere (ice, rain, mud). A "limited slip" uses a mechanical setup or a type of clutch-pack in order to send power to both wheels. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dan1028

Dan1028 United States Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kazz

Kazz United States Stinger Enthusiast

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Member

LSD (Limited Slip Differential) clutch or viscous type- When powered wheel are travelling straight and 1 of the wheel looses traction it will increase torque to that wheel loosing traction.

When turning it will increase torque to inside wheel to increase traction.

15. StingMe

StingMe United States Member

This is fairly common for mechanical LSD (Limited Slip Differential). It's the clutch plates grabbing a little bit when turning and cold.

Cure is to change to a high-grade gear oil with a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) additive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    AMSOIL Slip Lock® Differential Additive (ADA) is formulated with advanced friction modifiers and is designed to eliminate gear-housing chatter in cars, trucks and SUVs equipped with clutch-type limited-slip differentials.

Severe Gear® 75W-90

16. Makes good sense to me.... I took mine in for 10,000km service the other day, and of course they couldn't replicate it (being warmed up) and did nothing

Curious to hear if anyone knows if this will eventually result in actual damage/wear?

17. Salman

Salman Saudi Arabia Member

Amazing, Thanks !

18. StingMe

StingMe United States Member

No. It will not cause excessive wear.

It's considered "normal" for mechanical LSD (Limited Slip Differential)'s, by all manufacturers.

Draft saved Draft deleted