kia stinger store

Looking for a GT / GT1 but have questions.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
Hey forum, I’ve been eyeballing the Stinger for the past few years. I have a 70+ mile daily commute and I’m coming from a Gen 1 Ford Raptor. Below are some questions:

1. What are some make/break things to lookout for on a 2018-2019 model?

2. What’s real world MPG on freeway (I don’t drive over 75-80)

3. How is the longevity of these vehicles, anything to do to make the engine/trans more resilient?

4. How is back seat space with 2 kids, both in boosters (not baby seats).

I’m trying to stay under 35k for the out the door purchase price, I few miles don’t scare me but trying to purchase with less than 40,000 on the odometer. How does KIA view aftermarket exhaust/intakes as far as warranty work?

Thank you for the help!

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
I don't recall what my MPG was but I'd typically get around 300-320 miles per 15 gallon tank in mixed city/hwy driving. You could easily hypermile it to 30+ mpg but in dense hwy traffic you're probably looking at 24-26 mpg. It isn't great, but I should be better than your truck.

When I had mine I had one kid in a booster seat, one very annoyed pre-teen sitting over the transmission hump, and a nearly grown teenager on the other end. The only complaints came from the placement of my tween's feet on sides of the tranny hump. The booster seat fits fine.

For $35k you could probably find a 2020 with under 15k miles. Hell, you could probably do a lease buyout on a brand new base GT for that price.

Here's a 2020 w/10k miles for $35k.

And a 2019 w/12k miles for $33k.

Don't pay $35k for a 40k mile 4 year old Stinger!

I didn't run into any issues with any aftermarket parts. I think Kia views mods the same as most other companies--if it doesn't break other parts of the car that are under warranty they aren't concerned.

Last edited:

hummus

Three months ago, it was possible to get a new base 2021 GT RWD for $35k before tax/registration/dmv fees, without doing a lease buyout or anything creative. Not sure how easy that would be in this market, with increasing reports of dealers asking MSRP or above across brands and models. On top of that, at least in the South Florida region, base GTs seem to be extremely scarce at this point.

I can't speak to how a booster fits, but one of the clinching factors for me was having enough leg room to fit a max size rear-facing convertible with room to spare. Based on this, unless front seat passengers are very long legged, there should be ample space for boosters, though you may want to check head room.

This is truly what makes the Stinger (especially the base GT) a unicorn for the enthusiast buyer with family toting duties and relatively modest budget. I don't believe anything is in the price class (mid 30s) comes close to this level of driving satisfaction and practicality.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
"Longevity" is not something anyone can show in a model only into it's fourth year (not counting early release of the 2022). But looking at the definite lack of troubled drivetrains plus Kia's 100K miles drivetrain warranty should put you at ease. Nothing needs to be done to increase resilience: it's already there.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
I don't recall what my MPG was but I'd typically get around 300-320 miles per 15 gallon tank in mixed city/hwy driving. You could easily hypermile it to 30+ mpg but in dense hwy traffic you're probably looking at 24-26 mpg. It isn't great, but I should be better than your truck.

When I had mine I had one kid in a booster seat, one very annoyed pre-teen sitting over the transmission hump, and a nearly grown teenager on the other end. The only complaints came from the placement of my tween's feet on sides of the tranny hump. The booster seat fits fine.

For $35k you could probably find a 2020 with under 15k miles. Hell, you could probably do a lease buyout on a brand new base GT for that price.

Don't pay $35k for a 40k mile 4 year old Stinger!

I didn't run into any issues with any aftermarket parts. I think Kia views mods the same as most other companies--if it doesn't break other parts of the car that are under warranty they aren't concerned.

Thank you for the details, that MPG sounds amazing. I’m currently getting 12.6 mpg. I get it, 37s and mileage don’t mix. I enjoy having a big truck but it really doesn’t make sense for my commute and what I need a vehicle for. I’m looking to test drive one this weekend and want to see how the lane keep and variable cruise control work. Both features I’m very interested in.

OGWood

I might be a little late to the thread, but I wanted to share my mpg.

I travel a TON for my job. Last week, I went from Murrells Inlet to Apex, NC to Asheville, NC to Sanford, NC back to Murrells. I averaged 73mph & 29mpg. I was EXTREMELY impressed. This also incorporated some city driving. My normal combo around Murrells is 25mpg.

I have the 3.3TT with the only real mods being carbon fiber hood, deck & strut braces. Then BMI intakes. Probably hasn't put a dent in the mpg realm, but they're worth mentioning

OGWood

I forgot to mention that I run 89 fuel. 89 in the states is basically the octane Korea considers premium when you breakdown the fuel composition. I've yet to have an issue with 89 & performance is @ 100% from the Stinger with it.

Ric 'Ochet

Hey forum, I’ve been eyeballing the Stinger for the past few years. I have a 70+ mile daily commute and I’m coming from a Gen 1 Ford Raptor. Below are some questions:

1. What are some make/break things to lookout for on a 2018-2019 model?

2. What’s real world MPG on freeway (I don’t drive over 75-80)

3. How is the longevity of these vehicles, anything to do to make the engine/trans more resilient?

4. How is back seat space with 2 kids, both in boosters (not baby seats).

I’m trying to stay under 35k for the out the door purchase price, I few miles don’t scare me but trying to purchase with less than 40,000 on the odometer. How does KIA view aftermarket exhaust/intakes as far as warranty work?

Thank you for the help!
Real world MPG in ECO with coasting option engaged you’re looking mid to upper 20’s in MPG. Go for ‘19 over ‘18 IMO .. Stinger Script vs Kia Badge in rear, staggered setup as well I believe. Staying under $35k might be a tall ask, but think it can be done on a GT1, definitely a GT. Find a CPO vehicle as well, Kia 10yr/100k
Mile warranty doesn’t transfer on a used unless it’s KIA CPO.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
Real world MPG in ECO with coasting option engaged you’re looking mid to upper 20’s in MPG. Go for ‘19 over ‘18 IMO .. Stinger Script vs Kia Badge in rear, staggered setup as well I believe. Staying under $35k might be a tall ask, but think it can be done on a GT1, definitely a GT. Find a CPO vehicle as well, Kia 10yr/100k
Mile warranty doesn’t transfer on a used unless it’s KIA CPO.

this is good info, thank you. I definitely want the warranty so CPO it is.

when you say stagger setup what does that mean?

Ric 'Ochet

this is good info, thank you. I definitely want the warranty so CPO it is.

when you say stagger setup what does that mean?
Stagger front and rear wheel setup.
Wider rear.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
What’s with the Red interior being the majority of stingers? Trying to find a black interior in a gt1 is going to make this search much more difficult. To me to red makes the interior look cheap. I can’t wrap my head around it.

mtuckeruk

Opposite problem here in the UK. All interiors are black and I searched long and hard for red interior. Eventually found one, Red outside , red inside, love it.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
Damn, that's a lot! I paid 36k out the door on a new base 2020 awd gt a year ago.
Yeah I may have to hold off a bit. I test drove a GT1 over the weekend, 2019 but it was 42k and NOT cerifited pre owned so Kia warranty wouldn’t carry over. Also red interior, you should get a 10k discount if you agree to buy red interior. Haha. Really though, amazing vehicle but too high of an asking price currently. Also I’m holding out for a white exterior with black interior. So it may be a while.

98rangerdave

Newish Member
With that commute you may even want to go for a GT-Line (with the 2.5L).
I like the stinger for the power, the 4cyl doesn’t do anything for me. I currently get around 12 mpg combined, 8-9 city and 13ish freeway. So the v6 stinger will double that mpg without issue.

Paihan Lee

Irvine, CA
I've logged every single fill up since I bought my '18 back in May 2018. I currently have 50K miles and averaged 20.56 mpg over the last 3 years. My commute is 45 mi round trip and about 80% of that is highway. I'm in sport mode most of the time and enjoy driving the car a little more aggressively, more often than not. I've done a few mods on it and have only performed oil changes every 6K miles. Not one problem with the car so far.

Transmetal

Yeah I may have to hold off a bit. I test drove a GT1 over the weekend, 2019 but it was 42k and NOT cerifited pre owned so Kia warranty wouldn’t carry over. Also red interior, you should get a 10k discount if you agree to buy red interior. Haha. Really though, amazing vehicle but too high of an asking price currently. Also I’m holding out for a white exterior with black interior. So it may be a while.
I have black interior, it's ok, wish I had the red. I actually thought about swapping in just red doors with the black seats. I think that would look nice and break up all the boring black, there's just too much black imo.