Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Looking at buying a GT2

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by Sahvan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Sahvan

Sahvan Canada Newish Member

Hey guys,

I’m currently interested in a 2018 GT2 black with red interior, and has 20,000km on it. It’s listed for $36,000 and I was wondering if this is a good deal. And also if there’s any problems I should look at for when buying this car used. I’m from Vancouver, Canada btw

2. Jayphil

Jayphil Canada Newish Member

My feeling is that is not too bad of a price (I assume it is a GT Limited at 36k CAD since you are from Canada). But 2 weeks ago I had the option to by a NEW not DEMO GT Limited for around 45k CAD with 3 year maintenance included ( I finally backed off because of covid-19). Right now there is not longer 2019 available and 2020 are discounted at 3000$ vs 5000$ that the 2019 had but if your wait a couple of month will probably be able to get the same deal for a new car which should be a bit more trouble free since 2+ year have passed vs the beginning of production.

Some other stats. You can see the car you plan to buy as 9-11k less vs new for a low mileage 2 yr old car. 3 year old lease residual value planned by KIA is around 26k for the Stinger with 60k km.

But if the car is clean, accident free, the color combo you like and you are able to finance it at reasonable % I believe it is still a good buy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sahvan

Thank you for the insightful reply! But are you saying that I can get a brand new GT limited for the same price in a couple months?

4. Jayphil

Jayphil Canada Newish Member

Right now 2020 Stinger GT Cash discount is 3000$ at least here in Quebec but have been 5000$ for a while for the 2019. 2021 is supposed to be a mid cycle refresh to be announced mid year based on many sources (might be delayed because of covid19) so I assume there is a good chance that 2020 Stinger GT will get soon a greater Cash discount + maybe more incentives because of the current crisis. Dealer have about 2600$ margin on the Stinger and mine was willing to take 0$ to have a Kia Stinger GT sale (of course they probably get other post sales bonus from KIA).

Only time will tell though, on my side I am waiting anyway my car is sitting in the garage because I am working from home since 2 weeks and probably at least until May 1 st. I will shop back when dealers will be open again and that I will be back working at the office.

5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

You are going to stay home and keep your car garaged until MAY!? Inconceivable. Get it out and drive somewhere. You'll go batty if you don't.

If you're buying used, a full research of the VIN online would, of course, be a priority.

The first thing you look for is paint quality. Do a thorough bumper to bumper, rocker panels to sunroof, check of every edge and surface. If you don't see anything flaking off or any little pinpricks in the clear coat, then you have good paint at least: the amount of road attrition (especially, of course, in front) will vary; look for the windshield wiper scrape in the rear edge of the hood; and a forward hatch edge chip is fairly common too. The (usually driver's side) forwardmost, lower corner of the headlight assembly rubs on the paint and can cause a detectable amount of chipping there, if you're looking for it; if you can see it easily, then there is a paint quality issue with at least the front bumper cover; and you'll probably also see more than acceptable chips from road attrition in the front bumper cover.

Next up: drive and listen; you may hear a thump or even a persistent rattle/creak from the hatch; if so, this is either fixable with washers in the hatch lid stoppers, and/or one or both hatch lid pistons are loose. Any ticks, squeaks or rattles coming from the sunroof? This is a fairly common complaint on the forum; and recently some innovative, successful and simple fixes have been shared (the most recent and encouraging one was pushing up hard on either side of the headliner beside the sunroof and reseating the Velcro attachments in the roof). There are other possible noise makers in the door panels, the dash or steering column. But keep in mind that ALL extraneous noises combined do not affect anywhere near half of the vehicles. So, odds are on your side when testing a particular vehicle.

A number of vehicles exhibit pulsating brakes. The OEM pads are too soft in N. America for some drivers the way they brake. Nearly all of these are in front (vibrating steering wheel on braking). Changing out the pads after getting the rotors surfaced or replaced is the answer; aftermarket pads, not OEM. (It looks like Kia has finally started to address this by allowing different pads on at the dealers, and even paying for these beyond the 12K mile warranty cutoff. At least some on the forum have recently reported this success story.)

There are no "first year" issues with the Stinger as far as a typical problem with the model that Kia has to address. A few TSBs have been issued, mostly affecting limited run periods, and these should have been attended to before you buy yours.

6. Frank D Harders

Frank D Harders United States Newish Member

Purchased a 2020 GT 3.3. White w red interior. Have 300 miles so far. Dam covid-19. no issues if any arise will be sure to post here. I do go out and start every day and take around the block. Someone said if you dont stop to look at it every day u bought the wrong car. Im addicted

7. Sahvan

Appreciate your feedback! I am going to the dealer this Tuesday to take a look and will mostly likely post here if I have more questions

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sahvan

Haha fair enough and ya I can’t stop looking at pics and videos of this car

9. G-992525

G-992525 Guest

Hey guys I went to check out the stinger on Tuesday. And it looks great! And also drives great too. I really wanna pull the trigger, considering they lowered the price to $35,000. I’m planning to finance and my monthly budget would be $300. I’m able to put $20k and get to $310 a month for 7 years. But do you guys think I should trying going for the 5 yr term?

10. Sahvan

I’m not sure what happened, but that post above is me^

11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

Somehow, you involuntarily managed to post as one of Sal's Guests. I dislike this feature and have no idea how/when it works especially when someone, as you now, is ambushed by it.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted