Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Listen to the sound of Stinger GTs at High Speed (Sounds Like an Electric car)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Brian B, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Brian B

Brian B United States Member

Stumbled across this video of 3 Stinger GT S models all blasting down a runway above 100mph+ the sounds they make are interesting. Its like the turbo whistle drowns out the exhaust leaving a electric like whine as they fly by. Kind of cool in its own right.

Skip to 3:06 In the Video.

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

So, that's what my car sounds like when I blast by over a hundred miles per hour. Not what I expected at all. Is this turbo scream what the exhaust mods are supposed to replace with louder engine noise?

3. Alagos

Alagos Germany Member

Sounds like a Turbine for me ^^

4. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

That sounds like tire noise to me. The exhaust on these cars leave no possibility for turbo noise, at least in stock form.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Definitely sounds like wind/tire noise to me.

6. MerlintheMad

Okay then: are all the exhaust mods providing ENGINE noise to rise above and beyond the wind/tire noise? (It isn't enough that the car is limited to 167 MPH, all you all have to ROAAAR!!!)

7. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

I think there are exhausts out there can will match the sound levels of the tires. It's amazing how loud tires are, most don't realize it but they produce a massive amount of noise. Especially the larger section width performance tires.

I also could be totally off my game here. It could be the air velocity leaving the exhaust system coupled with the tires to produce that turbine sound. However, none of that is the actual turbo's spooling

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

It’s just the tarmac if you ask me.

9. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

The linked vid is just some southeast asian scam channel that steals other videos to repost. Thankfully he doesn't have many subscribers.

That said, the original video from a Kia promotional shoot in the UK in 2017 is available on multiple "genuine" sites in many forms, some edited down to show just the highlights. There is indeed relatively little engine noise recorded from a static position at those speeds because of how loud the "road" noise is. If you want to hear how loud the engine/exhaust is, there are plenty of stock dyno runs to listen to.

10. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Considering how loud dynos are that's probably the worst way to hear how a car sounds.

11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Agreed - stock exhaust is pretty quiet and a typical dyno is pretty loud. My point was the road noise at 150mph is more than enough to drown out the stock exhaust at those speeds.

Skip to ~2:00, you can just hear the stock exhaust note over the dyno, and then hear how loud the dyno is when he backs off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Doel

Doel United States Stinger Enthusiast

Keep in mind this is an euro spec stinger so the exhaust is quieter. Plus at 140+ tire noise becomes incredibly loud.

13. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

Yep - tires (going 140+) on grooved tarmac. Somewhat interesting, although I'd like to see/hear more videos on what it sounds like going that fast INSIDE the car. Probably something like: "Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaaw!!!" :D

14. MerlintheMad

@GRStinger I heard "engine" noise. Go figure (MY18, you can't turn it OFF).:rolleyes::p

Draft saved Draft deleted