Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Lets talk tuning, piggy back vs ECU flash.

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by TorkMe, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TorkMe

TorkMe United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

John you are now getting your rewards for hard work.....and as you get more insight to the codes you will reap more overall knoweledge of the ecu .... Wash

• Like Like x 2
  3. TorkMe

TorkMe United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

For anyone that’s been around tuning it should be known that an ECU tune has the POSSIBILITY to be more in depth and this push the platform further. However that comes at the POSSIBLE cost of future warranty issues and usually the price of the tune.

If you want to be at the very edge of the platforms capability, but risk “falling off the edge” then a fully developed ECU tune is needed. If you just want more power at less cost then a quality piggy back is good too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. brancky3

brancky3 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Tons of people run piggybacks on top of ECU tunes as well. I could see this being the case for things like meth injection - it would be much easier to change settings on a piggyback on the fly if you empty your 50/50 meth mix and refill it with 30/70 meth mix, for example. Cool post, thanks for the info

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sales@Tork

Sales@Tork United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

7. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

John, first, excellent work on the engineering! I know this stuff isn't easy.
    Do you see anything like the SCT/HPTuners handheld programming units coming onto the market for Kia/Hyundai/Genesis? From a technology perspective I greatly prefer an ECU tune, but being unable to modify/roll back/monitor it myself is, for me, a deal breaker. The piggy backs certainly can't do as much, but at least we can control them and remove them if necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sales@Tork

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. brancky3

brancky3 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Yes, that is true for an ECU tune that has been optimized to a specific car. Most other companies offer an off the shelf ECU tune and it has limited customization since it is built for 'everyone' and not an individual car. But your environment / ambient temps / humidity is much different in the NW USA than mine in the SE USA.

Personally, if I bought an ECU tune from you it would drive me nuts sending the ECU back to you to make an adjustment since I can barely wait 2 days for Amazon packages :rofl::rofl:. Pressertech is closer to me but I feel they're not at the same power / tuning level. I'd be more interested if you offered an off the shelf tune that eliminates the torque limits, throttle limits, and airflow stuff that you posted above and then fine tune it with a piggyback so I could run different levels depending on my environment.

10. Sales@Tork

11. Sales@Tork

12. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

I have a friend with Mazda Speed3 with an ECU tune (very fun and underestimated little car). He had some engine issues, got the ECU reflashed to stock, then drove it in and had his warranty voided. He thinks it's because he didn't drive the car long enough with the stock tune and the dealer could still see some ecu parameters off from the tune, "finger prints" my friend called it.

Is this going to be the same case with our cars? If we throw a rod or something with a Tork tune is there any way to get it covered by warranty?

13. oddball

Sorry, "modify" in the sens of what the handheld units provide - selecting pre-set maps, general ignition changes, etc. We're still at the mercy of the tuner. Which is usually fine, except for oddball situations like the one I'm stuck in now. My buddy is building a blown 4.6 for his Town Car. If this was a mustang it would've been done years ago. But the Town Car ECU is slightly different. And even the guys that tune Town Cars (of which there aren't many) aren't up to speed on the changes between years. e.g., fuel pump control changed from 99 to 00, so one particular load tries to send a PWM fuel pump signal out the fuel pump relay wire. Which on '99 is the same wire as the ECU's power wire. You can see where this is going. So we've got three different shops experimenting with mixes of mustang and town car baselines from SCT.
    Sometimes it even kinda works.

14. oddball

Your best option is to keep an unmolested stock ECU, which has run in your car, on the shelf. Or, better yet, keep *your* ECU stock and get a replacement ECU flashed.
    Still, one has to trade off warranty for experimentation. You don't get the best of both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sales@Tork

16. Sales@Tork

17. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

I understand, but I think we all know that 90% of the people that modify cars under warranty, Stinger owners included, are going to try to get any engine problems covered with their warranty. So if I send my tuned ECU back to you, you reflash it back to stock, and I throw it back in my car, there will be no indication it was ever modified? Even if the car isn't running?

18. Sales@Tork

19. Sales@Tork

20. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

Besides peoples point of views on putting back your car back to stock, the biggest upside to the current ECU Tune vs Piggyback is ease of removal for me. I am working on getting my rotors replaced under warranty and with my JB4 it takes me 10 min to pop on and off to go back and forth to the dealers (4 times so far). With an ECU tune i would have to NDA the ECU to you and have you NDA it back everytime i need to go in. That is not feasible for me as this is my daily driver. While I would love an proper ECU tune its just not worth the risks for me at the moment. I understand they can be safer options, I understand Dealers cant technically void your warranty... but they will. I for one dont have the time or pocket lawyer to help me fight it.

For now its Piggybacks > ECU tune for that reason. Also, the similarities in HP, TQ, 1/4 times, Boost PSI etc for a quarter of the cost if not more is also very attractive.

When we have the ability to flash updates/custom maps and stock software at home then ECU tunes may take the edge for me, but until then I just cant see the real upside of $400-500 vs $1,800+ (spare ECU included in that price).

I do think there shouldn't be any additional upcharges for going for Stage 0 to 1 to 1.5 swell. Once you pay for a tune you should be able to get what ever flashed maps you have developed similar to piggybacks.

Again, I do hope I can get a proper ECU tune one day as I do see the benefits but at the moment I just cant see the real upside vs cost, risk taken, and ease of removal to stock.

Tork is doing great things and in time im sure they will have everything figured out and give us what we want. I will be a customer at that time!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
Draft saved Draft deleted