Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LED scuff plates

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by ctu_2, Jun 22, 2018.

1. ctu_2

ctu_2 United States New Member

I bought a set of LED scuff plates for my Stinger GT2. Can anyone help with a wiring diagram inside the door trim? Which two wires should I splice to have the LEDs turn on when the door opens? If there's a link to a installation video, even better! All I could find were plug-n-play honda installations...

TIA!

2. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

• Does not represent the type of community we are trying to build. There's nothing wrong with asking for information in your first post.
    Seriously?
    Your very first post and you ask for help?
    No introduction, not where you live, what you are driving now, what you are replacing...
    No research on the forum first, not asking the seller?
    And a TIA to finish off!

Ever heard of reciprocity?
    It means participation, giving, and after a while, you ask for assistance.
    Have a nice day.

• Disagree Disagree x 14
  3. WildBill

WildBill United States Member

I agree that it is nice to be able to offer up some help before needing it but that seemed a little harsh.

In every forum I've ever been in there are always lurkers that glean information from the many requests and replies that already exist. Then eventually there is something that drives them to join the discussion.

An intro would be nice, info about the product and where you bought it as well. But oh well.

A Google search for "LED scuff plates stinger installation" brings up this thread on this forum. Post 11 on has the info you will need.
    If you have any other questions regarding the install I would ask on that thread as there are already people with experience that will likely respond.

Please stick around, say hello, and show us the results of your mods / customizations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ctu_2

Forgive if this becomes a double post, I was replying on my phone without logging in...

But, wow, things escalated quickly!
    I wasn't aware of the whole forum intro stuff. I mean, sure, I can introduce myself and yada yada, but that doesn't help anyone out...
    I'm definitely not a car guy, can't really provide anything, just wanted to learn something new by group knowledge, sorta like searching youtube for a tutorial. Well, here goes, I'm from SoCal, recently purchased a stinger gt2 rwd. Actually did a few badge swaps, rear led light changes and mud flap installs, courtesy of this forum. I can upload pictures later. Purchased a set of blue LED scuff plates from ebay and was hoping to install them.
    As for the thread that WildBill mentioned, I did see that post, but I still wasn't quite sure if he meant he's wiring up the dome lights or are those the same wires that run down to the bottom of the door trims...
    I'll continue my quest for advice on that thread then...

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCBStingerGT

DCBStingerGT Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Hi there @ctu_2 , Welcome to our forum, i will post a LED Door Scuff installation video that i hope will help you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. ctu_2

Thank you so much @DCBStingerGT , I guess I was searching the wrong keywords the whole time...I will post pictures once the install is successful!

7. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Welcome ... there’s is a nice write up about them. Enjoy them.

8. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ignore the angry Canuck. Welcome to the forum and good luck on the project.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. forzanerazzurri

forzanerazzurri Canada Member

Get over yourself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Great find @DCBStingerGT

11. sid

sid United States Newish Member

would this work on premium too?

12. robz32

It should. Wiring is the same for the door lights on both models.

13. SOCAL2.0

SOCAL2.0 United States Member

love the look but maybe only on front doors

14. MRStinger

MRStinger United States New Member

Great video! Especially the tip about using 3M tape. Do these sill plates have different modes? I think "solid on" and "left/right movement" are good, but the blinking mode does not sit well with me. The ebay site for these units does not say anything about configurability.

Thanks,
    Mark

15. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Active Member Sustaining Member

I also noticed in the video there was no way to totally hide the wire at the top. No deal for me.

16. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Could you drill a hole and fish it? I also do not like seeing the wire since my car is yellow and it would stand out badly. Funny thing is that my Sorento SXL has these factory and they look great, would have been a sweet addition for the Stinger. Small but def nice!

17. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Active Member Sustaining Member

He was drilling holes but the path for the wire went out the top. It’s obvious in his video above. Cute idea but exposed wires are a big no-no for me, for something like that. I’ve had exposed wires for a dash cam and my phone mounts but not an accessory like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. robz32

19. Big Ern

Big Ern United States Member

Just ordered the ones from the video. After watching the install video, it looks like you could just drill the hole directly under the plate and fish it over from there. At least that's what I'm planning on doing. I too don't like the idea of exposed wires. I'll include some pictures after it's finished. Should be a week or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Big Ern

Big Ern United States Member

I finally had time to install these scuff plates. I was able to hide the wires. It was a bit more work, but very worth the result. I'll take you through: 0717182120.jpg 0717182126.jpg 0717182134.jpg 0717182134a.jpg 0719181825.jpg 0719181826.jpg 0719181828.jpg 0719181828a.jpg 0719182010a.jpg

So the plates are made of acrylic so I just used a razor to score them a bit in order to pop out a small opening in the bottom rather than the side. Then I used some heatshrink and silicone to seal and clean them up. Not necessary, but I like a little extra protection. Then I drilled a hole directly under where the scuff plate cable would slide down into. And another on the inside where the cable bundle hides (pictured). I then fished the cable through the 2 holes, and there you go! Most difficult part was drilling those 2 holes, but really not a big deal.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 5
Draft saved Draft deleted