Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

LAP3 Review for 2.0

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by Marty17, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Marty17

Marty17 United States Member

Hey guys! I’m seeing a lot of love for the V6TT here and not enough for the little 4 banger! I just received my LAP3 chip in the mail today (Surprise! Thought it would come Monday) and threw it right on! Okay, review time:

Installation: Installation was pretty straight forward after some digging around. All of the videos show the installation on the V6 stinger and not the 4 cylinder. This confused me as I could not find the plugs at first to plug in the LAP3. I was almost at the point of giving up looking for a 4 print plug in the engine bay. I searched YouTube for some installations on Hyundai/Kia 2.0L and they helped a little bit. It then came to me that the engine is mounted longitudinally, so the plugs that I was looking for were buried on the driver side of the engine! There are 2 plugs located there. One is on the intercooler piping and the other is hidden under some wires on the side of the engine. All you have to do is plug in the orange connecting wire to the engine harness and bam! Done! It really is that simple. I used some black zip ties to hold the wires down and some 3m mounting tape to hold the actual chip in place.

Driving Impressions: Now, 260hp/260tq is nothing to laugh at but more power is always welcome! If anybody has driven the 2.0, it definetly feels quick and very nimble. There is a surge of torque between 2k and 4-5k rpms that KINDA puts you back in your seat. This LAP3 puts the Stinger where it should have left the factory with. This thing flies now! It is so much more fun to drive. The torque rush is pretty crazy now. The power will put a huge grin on your face. For 5 minutes of work, it’s truly amazing. Also, it can finally spin through 1st gear and into 2nd (Mine is RWD)! The throttle in sport mode is much more responsive (my guess is due to the increased power). The gas pedal used to feel lazy no matter what mode you would put it in. The LAP3 changes that dramatically. Only needing 2 plugs to gain this much power and responsiveness is crazy. I came from a NA car and it was tough squeezing power out of it. This product is definetly worth the money. I wish I had some before/after dyno sheets, but the claim is 52whp on 93. It definetly feels like it. For a large 4 door sedan, this thing boogies now!

Caution: The plug on the engine has some wires that dangle close to the belt. I didn’t realize this until my car started shaking and the RPMs didn’t work. I thought this was the end for the LAP3. I found out that the wire was rubbing up against the belt and causing this chain reaction to happen. Make sure that you zip tie everything tightly and securely so you won’t have the “Oh snap there is only 900 miles on this car and I broke it” moment.

This is great for people who lease their cars, as there is no flag the comes up in the dealership system that the ecu was tampered with.

As I keep racking up the mileage, I’ll report back with any longevity issues. I hope this product keeps the engine safe and reliable for thousands of miles to come. We will see!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Robs

Robs Singapore Active Member

Thanks for the review @Marty17 ! What gas were you on and what setting on the chip please?

3. Marty17

Ahh meant to put that in there! Triple 6’s and 93 FTW!

• Like Like x 2
  4. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member Sustaining Member

@Marty17, thanks for your excellent, informative post! The LAP3 chip sounds like an amazing modification! I have a 2.0 Premium and will give this serious consideration.

Looking forward to see further reports on your experience, including pros and cons. Here are a couple of things that I'd be interested to hear about:
    1. Does the chip work the same in all drive modes (comfort, sport, etc.)?
    2. Any effect on gas mileage in normal daily driving and freeway cruising?
    3. Any other impacts on how the motor operates (e.g., idling)?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marty17

I’ll do my best to explain 1-3!

1. The chip will work the same in all of the drive mode (also works with the auto stop/start). Comfort mode is still laid back, but with an extra ooomph to it when you get on it. Sport mode is much better. The throttle is much more responsive and you get a huge surge of torque once the turbo spools. It’s really crazy how this simple of a mod transforms the car. I’ve never driven in eco mode, but I’m sure it’s the same just with more power.
    2. Gas mileage should theoretically stay the same. The only problem will be yourself!
    3. Everything idles just fine now. Like I said in the post, just make sure to zip tie your wires down so they’re not moving around. I had The belt rubbing against a wire and the car started freaking out on me. Once I moved those wires, everything has been working flawlessly for the past 70 miles. If I understand the chip correctly, it increased boost, timing, fuel, etc. it runs as smooth as stock up to redline, just with more power!

**edit** you can find the chip on eBay for around 400. At that price, the $$/per hp it’s unbeatable.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SEA Stinger

Thanks @Marty17!

Are you considering any additional mods such as these?
    1. Oil catch can
    2. Intake
    3. Larger intercooler
    4. Exhaust

From what I've been reading, sounds like the oil catch can is good protection for the engine. I wonder if a bigger intercooler will also help.

7. Marty17

I will probably put a catch can in there just for peace of mind, but these modern direct injection engines are pretty clean. There are some posts where they show their can catches nothing, and some that do. I will definetly be grabbing an intake once they are released. I need more turbo noise! The stinger will see some time Autocrossing and hopefully some track days, so I’ll see if it needs some extra cooling. Right now it’s 15 degrees in Pittsburg so not really worried yet! Exaust I’m still debating on.

I told myself I wouldn’t get too involved modding this car. With all of those other mods, you would have to do a custom tune. I wouldn't Trust it with just the LAP3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Thank you very much for this review! And wow - that must have been scary there for a bit. Jeez. I'm glad you got the issue figured out - easily... Definitely good to know...

• Like Like x 1
  9. GuyManDude

GuyManDude United States Active Member

@Marty17 I have been thinking of getting this upgrade. Did you change the plugs or anything else?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SEA Stinger

@Marty17, looking forward to hear more about how this turns out. Please post updates when you can.

The LAP3 chip sounds like an excellent enhancement for the 2.0!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

Marty!

Great review of the Lap3 chip and great to know about the things to look out for (zip tying the wires away from the belt).

I'm hoping to gain access to both a 3.0T and 2.0T Stinger to do a write up install so those making this purchase do not have to guess and check if they are doing it right!

If you have any helpful photos to provide us to better provide an install guide please email photos or comments about your install experience to Paul@K8StingerStore.com

-Paul

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marty17

Bryan, I have not changed anything else. The plugs should be good to go in the stinger. I beleive the recommendation to change the plugs came from the older optima 2.0 and sonata 2.0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marty17

Paul, if you need any pictures of the installation or anything else, just let me know. I would be more than willing to email you them.

14. Kia Stinger

@Marty17, if you took installation pictures - would you please share them here? Several people are looking for them and I'd love to add a new post to our "how to / do it yourself" section...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

Please do email me!
    We do also have a video a member emailed us after he did his installation. I'll be sure to share that as well! :D

16. Kia Stinger

Awesome! Thank you! :)

17. Mike_TX

Mike_TX United States Active Member

Can we have some of those photos/videos posted in this thread?

18. Kia Stinger

19. jimdr

jimdr United States Member

If the LAP3 is installed and then removed leaving connections etc as stock, is the period of chip use really invisible to Kia service? I wonder if the car computer would record some event that would reflect the chip installation and thereby jeopardize warranty service.

Jim

20. Marty17

Jim, the LAP3 works as a Burger tuning, etc piggyback only increasing boost, fuel, and timing. When you disconnect the LAP3, it will not throw a code to Kia service. If you happen to say blow your engine with the LAP3 installed (800 miles and everything still running smooth), Kia will see increased boost, fuel, etc from the ecu. Remember, they have to prove you had something installed that caused the engine to blow. That is tough for any manufacturer with just a piggyback. To tell them or not is up to you and what you believe is right.

Draft saved Draft deleted