1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger OBD2 Arduino Car Hacking

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by basysmith, Apr 1, 2019.

1. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

I'm about to start hacking my car. I was wondering if anyone else has started a similar project? We might be able to share experiences? :)

I haven't started yet but I'm going to sniff the can bus for specific things like driving mode selections, RPM, Speed and possibly tapping into the cameras (last thing I'll look at).

Similarly how @Terry@BMS taps into the OBD2 port, I'll probably start there with an Arduino and OBD shield.

Main reason I'll be starting this is to turn my Varex mufflers on and off based on variables such as driving mode and RPM etc.. and I know this is already available through Varex's module but I know there's a better and cheaper way to do it.

Second thing on the agenda is being able to map buttons on the steering wheel to change driving modes quickly. The goal is to sniff the button presses to be able to do additional things with them. Example would be the cancel button for cruise could cycle between two driving modes (sports and comfort)... AS well as cancel cruise control.

If no one has started anything like this then I'll simply update this thread as I go and share what I find.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. basysmith

While I'm thinking about you @Terry@BMS ... I don't expect you to share anything valuable or revealing but I was wondering if you had any information regarding what ID's and data represent RPM and Speed on the canbus?

I was also wondering if you might have discovered any data or ID's to do with driving modes. I'll be looking for the current mode selected and a trigger to change selection.

Again, all good if you're unsure or unwilling to share. I just thought I'd start with you because I know you're already tapping into the OBD2 plug to retrieve similar data that I'll need.

Cheers,

3. basysmith

Anyone with a wiring diagram of the Kia Stinger may help too. I know there's a manual or document showing information on what wires to tap into behind the dash to connect the Aussie bi modal exhaust. That would be helpful if anyone has it?

4. niko

niko United States Active Member

shoot me a pm i may be able to help u

• Like Like x 1
  5. app_master

app_master Australia Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

Hey mate, good idea and I'd be interested to see your results on this too... and develop car system access similar to the mycarly app that I have used on previous bmw's we owned. It allowed a pleb like me to do some in-built car feature customising at relatively little cost.
    And I'd be interest to hear your thoughts on your varex mufflers, or have you posted it elsewhere... if so, please point?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. basysmith

I wasn't going to interface with an App or mobile device but I'm sure if things progress and people get interested then a wireless interface would become handy.

I haven't posted anything about my Varex exhaust on here. Fitment was a little bit fiddly. I had to cut one of the tabs off the mid resonators because it was rubbing on my prop-shaft. Sound isn't the most inspiring.. reminds me of a VN Commordore at low RPM's. Mild drone when cruising and low RPM. It's best when you've got a heavy foot.... WHICH is why I'm here hacking.

My idea is to either...

Open valves if drive mode is in SPORT ...
    AND/OR
    Open valves while in gear 1, 2, 3, then close. By the time I've hit 4th I'll probably be going too fast so off the pedal + drone sets in (if they're still open). Or the ability to enable a mode where valves open for gears 1-x then close.
    OR.. LOL
    If the speedo is between 80-110 AND I'm in 8th gear AND gear changes to less than 8 AND throttle or Pedal is set to 99% THEN open valves.

Scenarios are endless but that's the few I've been thinking about and will test.

51592130_10157236539277033_3184057349006426112_o.jpg

7. Ty Davis

Ty Davis United States Active Member

I came from BMW to Kia too.
    The ability to program and code various features, functionalities, and settings with Carly or Esys was awesome!
    I immediately wanted to know if the same could be done with the Stinger.

Unfortunately, Hyundai/Kia has introduced a new Security Gateway that protects all of the modules from tampering. It is a response to the Jeep vehicles that were hacked in the news a few years back.
    The Security Gateway will allow you to see data, but you cannot activate, change or write data without your device being authenticated by the Gateway first. As of right now, I don’t know of anything other than the factory scantool that can gain Authentication.

It’s gonna make it much harder for us to get that type of functionality on this platform.

8. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

The Bi-modal is manufactured by Lumen in Hallam. The Kia part number is KI-J5A19APK00. They may be able to provide an installation guide. Phone 8787 1000.

• Like Like x 1
  9. basysmith

Sourced an installation guide from someone on Facey. Looks like they've designed some type of "ECU" (probably similar to what I'm going to make) and tapped directly into the cluster's can bus for speed and rpm. They could have got that data a much easier way but I assume they had to do it that way to address legislation.

step14.JPG

10. sym

sym United States Member

Here's what you need:

A panda and a cabana: How to get started car hacking with comma.ai

Get a Panda. Combined with Cabana it's going to be the most economical (in terms of time and money) for you to get started on this. There's a gateway on the OBDII, so you're going to be limited in terms of what kind of CAN messages you can exchange through there. You can accommodate this with the Panda with some sort of OBDII breakout (the comma.ai community calls them "giraffes", they can be PCBs or you can just make your own splice / breakout cables). Then you can tie it into arbitrary CAN lines and pick up / transmit whatever messages you want.

There's an open source repository for different CAN messages for Cabana. There isn't one specific for the Stinger yet, but similar Kia / Hyundai ones will give you an excellent place to start.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I have a offer use case...

If I drilled the factory hood vents (fake holes), then used a plastic plate (with a soft rubber top layer) hinged in one side and connected to a basic servo (model car style) that would push the plate up to seal/close the hood vents... you could in theory have weather controlled auto closing hood vents if you could tap into the rain sensing sensor.

Some might think it’s stupid. But I think I’d be a cool little project.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. basysmith

That would be a pretty straight forward project. I'd actually just set them to close when the wipers are set to on otherwise they'd open close every time rain was sensed? You could actually trigger it an infinite amount of ways but it's funny because I would have never imagined such a project.

13. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Love this initiative. Looking forward to the progress.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Active Member

Subscribe...

15. Blitz

Blitz United States Active Member

Check temp and turn seat warmers and steering wheel on?

Start car with auto-hold/idle shutoff off.

Start car in sport mode with traction control off?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sasquach

Sasquach Australia Newish Member

Hi Lads,
    Any luck with this project as i want to sniff the bus and identify certain codes.
    I bought a PiCan and a cheap ELM. The ELM connects fine and i can see info via simple apps but when i try to sniff the entire bus it crashes as the buffer is pathetic. The PiCan i can get to work on Mazda's but nothing on the Kia GT... only slightly frustrating... .

• Like Like x 1
  17. basysmith

I've only had a little bit of time trying to get things setup but didn't get far. I was trying to sniff via the OBD port and got something but not what I was looking for. It's not all bad news though as I have just sourced the Stinger's bible which will allow me to locate any high and low CAN throughout the car. As for your issues, I'm not using a Pi so can't help? Sorry!

18. turboAWD

Tell me more about this "Stinger bible"...

19. basysmith

Over 600MB's worth of Kia's Stinger how-to and wiring diagrams used by dealerships and mechanics.

20. turboAWD

Wow. How much did that set you back?

Draft saved Draft deleted