Kia Stinger GT vs. Genesis G70 3.3T: Is Luxury Worth It?

jazzdabb

Raleigh NC
I actually prefer the G70 grill and obviously the interior is nice (though I do NOT care for the quilted nappa seats). I'm not a fan of the chrome doohicky on the front quarter panel or the giant Genesis logo. The Stinger just looks sportier all around: lower stance, more aggressive front and rear fascia, sportier (stock) wheels. And of course, I'd never want to sacrifice the hatch. I don't regret choosing the Stinger at all.

Nuthadey

For me the best thing the G70 has going for it is the supposed premium experience associated with owning a Genesis. The problem with that "experience" is that it's mostly facilitated by Hyundai dealerships. So the one selling point the car has above the Stinger is made moot by Hyundai's issues with getting Genesis dealerships up and running.

To me the lack of premium service means the G70 is just a smaller, more expensive Stinger, with seats from a 2016 Optima SXL.

cwatt79

It's crazy that even they mention the Stinger's rattles and squeaks. Definitely a blemish on the car!

Also the transmission tunnel heating up :rofl: that darn rear temperature control!

They absolutely underplay the draw of the hatch. That feature makes the GT/Sports car a viable option to many people who otherwise would need a larger vehicle. I loved the G70, but it was the hatch that put me in the Stinger. The G70 (or 3 Series/C Class) just can't handle me, my SO, our two dogs, and all our stuff for our road trips! Thankfully, I also love the Stinger, inside and out!

YEH

For me the best thing the G70 has going for it is the supposed premium experience associated with owning a Genesis. The problem with that "experience" is that it's mostly facilitated by Hyundai dealerships. So the one selling point the car has above the Stinger is made moot by Hyundai's issues with getting Genesis dealerships up and running.

To me the lack of premium service means the G70 is just a smaller, more expensive Stinger, with seats from a 2016 Optima SXL.
There presently are a few stand-alone Genesis dealerships, but even those that are not offer many things that the Stinger (or K900) don't.

Valet service, loaner vehicles, 3 yrs or 36k miles worth of maintenance, etc. - all those things cost $$ and are priced into the G70 (as well as the G80 and G90).

Typically, the larger liftbacks (4 Series GC, A5 Sportback) are priced a bit higher than their 4-door counterparts, which is why despite not offering the lux amenities, the pricing of the Stinger is about on par w/ that of the G70.

The Stinger has the more striking sheetmetal, but that advantage should narrow after the G70 gets the new Genesis design language via its F/L.

Both models need major overhauls of their interior/dash design, which won't come until the next gen (if there is one for the Stinger, or both).

The biggest advantage the Stinger has over the G70 is having more rear passenger space, but man, Kia should have solved that rattle problem by now.

Slip_Angle

My concierge experience has been 10/10 with my G70. To say there is just one thing better is burying your head in the sand and not objectively looking at the two cars. I can tell you very quickly what I like better about the Stinger and same with the G70. I don't need to tell everyone my choice was better, it was just different and can appreciate the fine qualities of the Stinger. I took a look at the Optima seats and man, it's not even close. Someone on the Genesis forum said it best.. We should feel lucky we get to choose between these cars - they are both great.

Nuthadey

My concierge experience has been 10/10 with my G70. To say there is just one thing better is burying your head in the sand and not objectively looking at the two cars. I can tell you very quickly what I like better about the Stinger and same with the G70. I don't need to tell everyone my choice was better, it was just different and can appreciate the fine qualities of the Stinger. I took a look at the Optima seats and man, it's not even close. Someone on the Genesis forum said it best.. We should feel lucky we get to choose between these cars - they are both great.
I started my first paragraph with "For me" and my second with "To me." In other words, those were my opinions on the G70 and the differences that matter most (again, to me). Your (or other people's) opinions don't have any influence on how I feel about the car. I stand by my G70 opinion.

Paul32

Stinger Enthusiast
Central Florida
There presently are a few stand-alone Genesis dealerships, but even those that are not offer many things that the Stinger (or K900) don't.

Valet service, loaner vehicles, 3 yrs or 36k miles worth of maintenance, etc. - all those things cost $$ and are priced into the G70 (as well as the G80 and G90).

Typically, the larger liftbacks (4 Series GC, A5 Sportback) are priced a bit higher than their 4-door counterparts, which is why despite not offering the lux amenities, the pricing of the Stinger is about on par w/ that of the G70.

The Stinger has the more striking sheetmetal, but that advantage should narrow after the G70 gets the new Genesis design language via its F/L.

Both models need major overhauls of their interior/dash design, which won't come until the next gen (if there is one for the Stinger, or both).

The biggest advantage the Stinger has over the G70 is having more rear passenger space, but man, Kia should have solved that rattle problem by now.
I have a 2018 GT1, do not have rattles and never had rattles. The primary reason I'm in a stinger is the rear seat leg room and the hatch.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast
I started my first paragraph with "For me" and my second with "To me." In other words, those were my opinions on the G70 and the differences that matter most (again, to me). Your (or other people's) opinions don't have any influence on how I feel about the car. I stand by my G70 opinion.

For me, the G70 was the better choice as I value luxury and performance above rear leg room and a hatchback. My car is more driver focused, I have a faster, variable ratio steering rack. The lighter weight and shorter wheelbase allows me to enjoy, even more, aggressive driving. On top of this, my AWD G70 has a rear multi-plate LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and drift mode, which the Stinger finally got in the GTS trim.

I have no regrets choosing the G70 over the Stinger. For me, the Stinger felt almost a little boaty in comparison when doing test drives. The higher quality interior was only icing on the cake for me.

In my opinion, and evidently that of Motortrend as well, If you want the better driver's car, the G70 is the way to go.

Nuthadey

For me, the G70 was the better choice as I value luxury and performance above rear leg room and a hatchback. My car is more driver focused, I have a faster, variable ratio steering rack. The lighter weight and shorter wheelbase allows me to enjoy, even more, aggressive driving. On top of this, my AWD G70 has a rear multi-plate LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) and drift mode, which the Stinger finally got in the GTS trim.

I have no regrets choosing the G70 over the Stinger. For me, the Stinger felt almost a little boaty in comparison when doing test drives. The higher quality interior was only icing on the cake for me.

In my opinion, and evidently that of Motortrend as well, If you want the better driver's car, the G70 is the way to go.
Awesome! Glad you're happy with what you spent your money on.

CeramicGT001

Maryland
Interesting read, surprising it took them this long to put out the comparison article. Looking forward to the 2021 Stinger and 2021 G70 comparison.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast
For the record, I love the Stinger as well. Both are great cars, and I appreciate the option of choosing between them. I'm pumped on the new refresh of both the Stinger and G70 coming out!

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
DC Metro Area
I test drove the G70 and I liked how the suspension setup was compared to the 2018 I had. The Normal setting seemed to be a bit tighter than the Stinger's Sport mode and the G70s Sport was really firm. Interior noise level was less in the G70, that car really felt like the older BMW 3 M Sport (don't care much for the new ones so never drove them), it was a really nice drive but for me, the rear seat and trunk was too small. The 2019 I got feels better than the 2018, now with the Mando box I have been able to tune it to ride and handle the way I like it. I would love it if they had incorporated the G70 settings into it. I think Genesis is going to raise the price of the G70 when the face-lifted version comes out, I believe KIA will do the same with the Stinger as well. One can only hope they will make the Stinger more luxurious and quieter on the inside to go with the price increase and to make closer to the K900 and feel like a true halo vehicle.

Endlessly

Newish Member

I'm not a car guy so can someone explain this to me? I keep seeing it come up on these forums, but I always wonder how much the dealer experience matters. Are you guys stopping by the dealership twice a week or something? I'm all for better service when you have to go, but all things considered I figured it wouldn't be often and therefore wouldn't be a big selling point.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I'm not a car guy so can someone explain this to me? I keep seeing it come up on these forums, but I always wonder how much the dealer experience matters. Are you guys stopping by the dealership twice a week or something? I'm all for better service when you have to go, but all things considered I figured it wouldn't be often and therefore wouldn't be a big selling point.
It's not that Kia service lacks concierge level services (pampered customer experience): it's that Kia mechanics damage your car. If Kia would never damage a car, and returned it possibly cleaner than when they received it, I doubt that this subject would receive much traction. But Kia has too many service centers that offer a combo of crap diagnosing of issues and clear evidence of not caring what they do TO the car while they have their filthy mitts and overalls all over it. This has not been my personal experience: but I have read plenty of horror stories on here in the last two years and there are way too many of them. I've said it before: two out of three satisfied customers with the Kia dealer/service experience is not nearly good enough. And also, I believe that Kia has a top priority in upping the customer experience. But it takes time to change.

oddball

Well, as an example, I only go to dealers for dealer-only parts (that I can't order over the internet for whatever reason) and warranty work. I needed the roof strips replaced due to flaking paint.
That took 4 trips, three months, a total of about 8 hours of my time, complaining to the service manager, and a one hour wait to do a 5 minute install. Thank god they didn't try to keep my car at any point.
Things like that are aggravating.

I also have a Volvo that had a series of engine faults. For the most part the warranty process was painless, and they gave my wife a loaner that was *nicer* than our car (a devious marketing tactic!) with no strings attached. I did have to call the service manager and complain once because they started jerking me around about warranty coverage for an issue that started before the warranty ended, then faulted again after the warranty period. But one phone call and the problem went away.

Add to that the multiple stories of service techs breaking stuff. I'm sure Kia doesn't pay very well, so sometimes you get work that matches. The Stinger is pretty unlike their other cars, so the techs need to pay more attention.

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
On top of this, my AWD G70 has a rear multi-plate LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential) and drift mode, which the Stinger finally got in the GTS trim.
'Scuse me, say what? I was not aware this was a thing.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast
'Scuse me, say what? I was not aware this was a thing.
Yessir. All USDM 3.3 G70's have a rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential), including the AWD models. Also, all have drift mode.

While I still really love the Stinger, this feature is what sold me on the G70. The other things, (ie more luxury, faster steering rack, and less weight) were just icing on the cake.

Revvdmedia

1000 Posts Club!
Canada
Yessir. All USDM 3.3 G70's have a rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (Limited Slip Differential), including the AWD models. Also, all have drift mode.

While I still really love the Stinger, this feature is what sold me on the G70. The other things, (ie more luxury, faster steering rack, and less weight) were just icing on the cake.
I decided to search that, seems it's a TCS/Stability Off mode (hold the button 5 seconds), so it's an "unofficial" drift mode? Secret to those who know? lol.

Toddasaurus

Stinger Enthusiast