Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger facelift confirmed, next generation still up in the air

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by Jim Dunn, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Jim Dunn

Jim Dunn United States Member

2. me&stinger

me&stinger Active Member

So the rumor is true, that the Stinger may go bye bye? Who knew when I bought the car it would become a limited edition. :confused:

I called it! :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. BertBert2019GT

BertBert2019GT United States Active Member

lol Mr. Guillaume please join me for one single trip to the gas station

the stinger should come with a disclaimer: warning, pumping gas will become a social affair

The stinger does serious work for KIA as a halo car. How many people went out and bought a forte, optima or telluride because of the stinger. For me, most peoples reactions aren’t “wow, I want a stinger” it’s “wow, KIA is legit”. I think KIA would be making a mistake to discontinue the stinger soon

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Lawrence Williams

Lawrence Williams United States Active Member

Makes no sense to discontinue this machine.....especially when Kia has done very little advertising of the machine and you sell more in a month than the K900 has sold since its inception. "THAT'S A KIA"? should be their mantra

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Devin L.

Devin L. United States Newish Member

I love this car and everything about it, but am saddened to hear that Kia may be discontinuing it. This makes it really hard to think about owning this car past 5 to 7 years since parts will probably be not available if something should go wrong if this model is indeed discontinued.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

They need to do a commercial like that. Have an Audi, BMW at the gas station (among other cars), have the Stinger GT2 pull up and have folks start checking it out when the drive goes in to get snacks. Have them start asking him/her questions about it when they return, then have the BMW owner ask how fast is that thing, KIA guy give engine specs and 0-60 time, the Audi guy ask how much it cost, KIA guy replies, show both Audi and BMW guy looking at themselves as Stinger drive off.

Next shot, 2 weeks later, show gas station with 5 Stingers filling up, Audi guy bumps into Stinger guys and mentions he got a new car, they run into BMW guy at the register, mentions he got a BMW for similar specs and options as the Stinger, Audi guy says he checked out the BMW but got more features on the Stinger than BMW was offering for base price of BMW guys 440XI. As they walked out, BMW guy sees his wife talking to girl pumping gas at another Stinger, she looks over and says, honey, I'm getting a KIA!! Audi guys says, KIA, power to surprise. Cue outro.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  7. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

Wayne , you missed your calling , my ad agency will be in touch shortly !!! Bawaaaaa :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Waynerm002

LOL! In the 80s Suzuki used to have some fun commercials, Subaru have their dog commercials, KIA needs to come up with some of their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Oh they did come up with some of their own, and it was awful.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Lawrence Williams

Lawrence Williams United States Active Member

C'mon ! That was adorable.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

sorry , but those were soooo bad , I'm glad they ditched the varments !!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Waynerm002

Hey, they got those Soul sold, though.

13. mattEG

mattEG Canada Newish Member

Any hints on the facelift look?

14. YEH

YEH United States Active Member

First spy-shots.

[​IMG]

While was hoping for a more extensive overhaul of the interior (the K7/Cadenza got a more extensive redo for its interior), but as expected, pretty minimal changes to the dash (large tablet nav screen, possibly digital gauges, some added faux stitching, etc.).

[​IMG]

The exterior really doesn't need much done and hopefully whatever small changes they make, it will improve the look and not make it worse (like some F/L have done).

Despite such minimal changes (the larger nav screen probably being the most crucial; also needs a more premium feeling/looking steering wheel cover) to the interior/exterior, the bigger issue has been the powertrains - primarily the aged 2.0T, 2.2L diesel and the lack of a hybrid.

Hopefully, the F/L will include powertrain upgrades to the 2.5T, 3.0 diesel (and the 3.5TT) as well as adding a hybrid option.

Kia Stinger Facelift Spied In & Out - Korean Car Blog

The thing is, the K900 sells far better in Korea than does the Stinger and the K900 shares its platform w/ the G90, which cuts down on cost.

While the Stinger shares its basic platform w/ Genesis, Kia did have to bespoke the platform for the Stinger (not sharing its overall length/WB w/ any other model).

The Hyundai Azera was discontinued for the NA market (may be coming back, tho) and yet, Hyundai just did an extensive F/L for the KDM Grandeur (basically looks like an entirely new model and even the length was increased).

Despite the lack of NA sales, Hyundai heavily invested in the F/L for the Grandeur as it's a big seller in Korea (already got nearly 55k pre-orders for the F/L model).

That's something like 15 years worth of Stinger sales in Korea.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Thanks for posting those pictures. I noticed something, the hood camo has openings where the faux vents are...possible move to functional vents for the facelift? If so it would be cool if the hood remained otherwise the same so us 1st gens could upgrade the vents using oem hardware.

16. HerbieTheCar

HerbieTheCar United States Active Member

If they were to make it functional, for us Stingers before the facelift year to adopt it, it would require dealers of owners to cut the hood. I don't think that'll happen, but I could also be wrong. Would love to have functional hood vents.

• Like Like x 1
  17. leecm

leecm United States Active Member

Do you all think the larger screen will be backwards compatible with the 18/19 models? I would assume a software update would be required in order to be able to utilize the extra screen space, which would probably make it unlikely .

18. Ty Davis

Ty Davis United States Active Member

I hope Kia doesn't use the pushbutton or rotary shift knob like on the new Optima or Sonata...
    Eww!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Waynerm002

I wouldn't mind the rotary dial as the shifter in the GT2 can't be used to manually shift anyways. While I feel KIA is planning on adopting a "family" look, much like Hyundai is doing. I'm hoping they use the Stinger's front end design for their sporty version, like on the Forte GT.

20. BTA

BTA United States Member

I for one hope there is not a next gen. I like the exclusiveness of the Stinger. Less on the road the better. IMHO

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted