Kia Stinger 2.0T slow off the line...?

Nightshifter

Newish Member
Hello!

I recently joined the forum after my wife and I purchased a 2019 Kia Stinger 2.0T.
We had it for about 5 months now, and I decided to do some performance tests.
I took it out for some 0 - 60 runs but I must be doing something wrong with the launch...
I put it in Sport mode and turn off traction control. I don't use paddle shifters because it'll always shift at around 5600rpm... Just keeping it in drive mode puts the shifting at ~6500rpms...
I hold the brakes, rev. it up and go.. but man does this thing drown off the line... can't get any wheel spin at all if I wanted to... now the 5 - 60 rollout times are on par with Car & Drivers 7.2 sec nearly every run... but the 0 - 60 is like 7.1 seconds (best) and some were 8 seconds... car seems to drown the torque off the line? Is there a trick to get this thing to jack rabbit off line?

Thanks... C&D was getting 6.0 seconds, & Kia advertised 5.9 seconds on the car... I know there are a lot of variables... but I was hoping at least in the mid 6's :p

Here's a 2.0T running 0 - 60... he's getting a much better launch then I was off the the line... and some wheel spin... my car the rpms just drop from 2500 to like 1500 and it rolls slow off the line... costing a lot of time... 60' really sucks.

Last edited:

Nightshifter

Newish Member
Oh I think I might have found the answer... I have to hold down the traction control for a few seconds to disable Traction & Stability Control!
I was just disabling Traction Control... learn something new!

So when I do this, hold the brake and put the gas all the way down... it'll rev. up to a certain point and READY TO LAUNCH comes up on the display then you let it loose! Didn't know the 2.0T had launch control... found out just now!

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
TSC OFF: That was my next question. :D

What a fun way to come out into the open, O Lurker! :laugh: Welcome.

mandasol

Cumming, GA
Around 7 seconds without launch control sounds about right. The 2.0 is really slow to get going from a stand still. Even launch control holds the rpms too low IMHO, I've managed low to mid 6's with it, though I've only tried timing it a couple times. You could try the brake snip mod for a better launch, but at your own risk.

After a piggy back tune but before I installed the catback I got a 5.71 0-60. I'd imagine with more practice and the additional mods I could lower those times. I believe another member got into the 5.4's with mods.

Nightshifter

Newish Member
Around 7 seconds without launch control sounds about right. The 2.0 is really slow to get going from a stand still. Even launch control holds the rpms too low IMHO, I've managed low to mid 6's with it, though I've only tried timing it a couple times. You could try the brake snip mod for a better launch, but at your own risk.

After a piggy back tune but before I installed the catback I got a 5.71 0-60. I'd imagine with more practice and the additional mods I could lower those times. I believe another member got into the 5.4's with mods.
Mid 5's would be nice :)

YEH

^ C/D has been known for their quicker 0-60 times over other pubs.

The weak link to the Stinger is the 8 spd trans (but better than what's offered by Lexus or Infiniti), which wasn't originally developed for performance, but to be smooth and silky, which is why HMG has been known to limit the amount of torque upon initial acceleration.

Hopefully, Genesis has reworked the trans a bit for the GV80 and G80, allowing more torque down low.

Nightshifter

Newish Member
What's the most HP someone got out of a 2.0T without tearing apart the engine :) I've seen 331hp (not sure if RWHP or BHP) on youtube, but didn't list the mods done....