Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia published 2020 Stinger documents Nov 26

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by Kimberly Lazarski, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Kimberly Lazarski

Kimberly Lazarski United States Member

2020 Kia Stinger Overview (US market)

From the "What's New" page here is the only listed change higher trim levels:

Stinger GT/GT1/GT2 (AWD):

• 19-inch Michelin all-season tires will replace the standard 19-inch summer tire (18-inch all-season tire option no longer available)
    No summer tires? Will this result in a lowered speed limiter on all AWD cars? I wonder if the new all-season tires will be Y-rated?

Stinger GT-Line Sun & Sound (formerly Stinger 2.0L Sun & Sound):

• Navigation system with 8-inch touchscreen color display
    • Sunroof
    • Harman/Kardon premium audio system
    • 8-way power passenger seat
    Stinger GT

• Wireless charger

All 20MY Stinger
    • Rear Stinger badge relocated to center, replacing the Kia badge (running change from May 2019)
    Edit: Clarified this is the US market info, added 2.0L details since not everyone is springing for GT/GT1/GT2.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

The rear Stinger badge makes sense considering the red GT1 I just saw at the LA auto show had the large Stinger badge in the center

3. Kimberly Lazarski

I think it makes a lot of sense to emphasize the model name rather than the brand. I knew about the Stinger when it was announced but had previously disregarded it because of the KIA nameplate even though I had read a couple of early reviews. I'm glad I delayed the purchase because I'd otherwise have spent the same money on an STI Limited and would have gotten an econobox interior instead; I'm not going to pay almost $49K for an econobox interior and not even have a front or curb side camera to help avoid curb rash. The deciding factor onj was the dealer refused to even just help source the extension to plug in the front camera and leave it on the seat. I was like "screw it, I can get a CPO S4 or maybe new Stinger GT2 and get surround cameras and a luxury interior for this price." I then checked out DeMuro's and Engineering Explained's Stinger videos... which I always previously skipped whenever they came up (again, because of the Kia nameplate).

I haven't actually driven one yet (I don't test drive cars until I am actually ready to buy, then I test the 2-3 models I've narrowed the choice down to) but just sitting in it parked and exploring the options, I liked the ergonomics a lot.

Like the parent company (Hyundai), Kia has done an amazing turnaround, but the rep has yet to catch up with their current offerings. They need to get GT2s in some rental fleets as a premium rental option (NOT the lower trims), de-emphasizing the KIA nameplate to get people curious enough about the car that they start seeking it out. Seeing the Kia name up front causes people to completely disregard it. There is what, just one small off-center Stinger badge on the 2018-2019 Stinger, but KIA is prominently slapped all over the car. Maybe "Stinger by Kia" would be a good way get Kia some respect instead of emphasizing Kia right off the bat.

And for the love of God, Kia... reviews on the internet are available world-wide. If you offer features anywhere but not in the market where you want the model to do best, we're going to see the review of other-market features, and know we're getting the stripped-down model and give it a miss. When you put 3D gauges, D-AWD, rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) (edit: I am referring to AWD here, as you have should discern from the mention of D-AWD), UVO Link, etc. in the SK, Euro, AU, etc. market variants, you need to introduce those features here simultaneously.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

There are AS tires that are Y rated that will do the same speed as the summer tires, my guess is it will come with the PS 3+. This will satisfy those folks that want one tire for all seasons. This should have been the option for AS instead of the 18” wheels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Waynerm002

I’ve been with KIA since 2012 when I traded my 535l M-Sport for an Optima hybrid, 3 hybrids later and I get a similar car to the BMW, and it still cost less. Imagine that, almost 10 years later KIA makes a truly great driving car. I still like to steal the hybrid from the wife and go carve some corners in it. I did put lowering springs on it. Get the 2019, the deals on them are great now, when the face lifted version comes out, you can trade up. That’s what I’ve been doing with the hybrids and the 2017 has been the best so far. On the 2nd Stinger now, didn’t plan on upgrading this early but I wrecked the first one. I want the new tech like the K900, so I’m waiting to see what they bring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kimberly Lazarski

Two dealers have told me they expect the 2020 to get UVO Link. That and the open rear diff are the two quibbles I have with the car. I can get the gear carrier swapped out, but I can't fully replicate the UVO link features, so I am going to wait for the 2020s to start shipping to New England. :)

7. Waynerm002

I don’t see that listed in the what’s new section or the features and options area, the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is available on the RWD cars. I don’t think those other features are coming until 2021 on the face lifted version. KIA media site has been known to be wrong, so has their manual. They have also done a Launch edition with different features but going by what is listed on their site, I don’t see that listed for the 2020 model year vehicles yet.

8. Kimberly Lazarski

Rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on RWD cars doesn't solve the open rear diff problem on the AWD cars.

Note I specifically refer to the rear differential; referring to one specific differential implies I am not referring to a RWD car which has only one differential, but to the AWD car which has three diffs (the front and rear diff plus the transfer case/center diff).

9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

That explains a lot about your laid back attitude. If you test drove one, you'd have one by now. :p

10. lun471k

lun471k Canada Active Member

I didn't know that. Purchased my '19 Stinger in October. I wonder if I can ask my dealer to swap the logos.

11. Nuthadey

Nuthadey United States Member

Keep in mind this is Kia U.S.A. There are some differences between U.S., Canada, SK, Australia, and European markets. The rear script could be one of those changes.

However, the dealership may still be willing and able to make the swap for you. Be aware, dealerships aren't usually trained in body modifications. What they can do for you you can do for yourself at home. If you're worried about messing it up and want it done by a professional a better option is an auto body shop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kimberly Lazarski

Thanks Nuthadey, I updated my original post to clarified and also added the 2.0L "what's new" details.

13. Jacques

Jacques United States Active Member STL Stinger Club

I'm actually glad they don't offer the Stinger as a fleet rental car. I like the exclusivity of the car as is. As for the nameplate, I like how people do a double-take or change their perception when they ask about my car, so I talk about the brand proudly. I did put a larger Stinger badge in the rear center (removing the Kia badge, removing the smaller Stinger badge), but am planning to put a slightly bigger front Kia badge (from a K900). I'm a long-time Honda/Acura owner (still own one), but my last 3 cars have been Kia's...2013 Optima SX, 2018 Sorento EX V6, and my Stinger.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kimberly Lazarski

• Like Like x 1
  15. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

Finally the rear large stinger badge!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jacques

I wish they introduced a new color for 2020. After all, no Silky Silver, and no, the Fed Orange for all the trims doesn't count. :p

17. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Colors are minimalist: no Silky Silver at all. (Makes me feel special and considerably reduces the temptation to wrap in Fed Orange, now. :p) Interesting that Kia has made Ceramic Silver and Fed Orange "elite" colors only available in the highest trim.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jacques

^^^Good, maybe I won't see so many on the road then. Not that there's many Stingers on the road to begin with. :) I'm surprised they don't have a variation of British Racing Green...that color I think would look cool. No red wine color either.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted