KIA Nav Unit Software Update - Just started downloading the new update...

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
As the title indicates, I am in the process of downloading the latest update and have been running it for 8 minute so far....

Thought you may have wanted to know that the downloading process is now operative - at least for Canadians. Good luck and enjoy!

Edit:
Too bad, you may be wasting your time at this point. I just wasted an hour trying to download - it's good for 2 minutes and then just disappears...

Maybe an other time :(

Last edited:

lrvan

Newish Member
KANSAS
As the title indicates, I am in the process of downloading the latest update and have been running it for 8 minute so far....

Thought you may have wanted to know that the downloading process is now operative - at least for Canadians. Good luck and enjoy!
Hi...are you using your original Factory NAV SD ...or a new one?..Let us know the results...thanks for sharing...

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
original Factory NAV SD
We are all getting used to the shitty software MnSOFT produces...
The half dozen downloads I attempted on different media stopped every time after about 8 - 10 minutes.
The download window just disappears, after the download speed gets less and less to about 0.5MB/s.

I used a new micro SD card in an adapter, then an SD card and to prove the point the original SD card that came with the car.
There was no difference in using any of these cards, the download "setup.exe" provided the same results every time.

All I can suggest that you DO NOT USE THE CARD THAT IS IN YOUR CAR. Because it is going to get formatted and you may end up with nothing.
My last updates were all on regular SD cards, this time I tried the micro one, but there should and was not any difference.
All I can say, this is not working for me yet. Very disappointing indeed.
Careful out there...

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Sincerely i found MnSOFT give a very good support. And the software getting better every years.
<says secret MnSOFT employee lurking on forums>

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
So OK, I succeeded in downloading the update once and then again. The first time was awfully slow, the indicated time was 12+ hours, but my elapsed time was more like 24 hrs. The second time on a much faster connection took 2 hours & 17 minutes from start to fiish.

Pick the fastest connection you can get, or you might run into the download crashing, repatedly, as it happened to me. After a stall the download can be restarted and the program will pick-up where it stopped, so it’s not a complete loss… To re-start, just click on the setup.exe file that was first downloaded and used to install the MnSOFT Update application. At every re-start it is looking for the order number again, which I just pasted in.

The program creates a folder and two sub-folders on the hard drive and writes to these and the SD card approximately 25GB each.

Reasonably fast 32 MB SD or micro SD cards, the latter of course in a adapter, are acceptable, a KIA branded cards is not necessary.

The version # on my download is not exactly as described in the pdf documents that come with the download, but who is to squabble at this point…

P1010414.JPG

SKStinger

So OK, I succeeded in downloading the update once and then again. The first time was awfully slow, the indicated time was 12+ hours, but my elapsed time was more like 24 hrs. The second time on a much faster connection took 2 hours & 17 minutes from start to fiish.

Pick the fastest connection you can get, or you might run into the download crashing, repatedly, as it happened to me. After a stall the download can be restarted and the program will pick-up where it stopped, so it’s not a complete loss… To re-start, just click on the setup.exe file that was first downloaded and used to install the MnSOFT Update application. At every re-start it is looking for the order number again, which I just pasted in.

The program creates a folder and two sub-folders on the hard drive and writes to these and the SD card approximately 25GB each.

Reasonably fast 32 MB SD or micro SD cards, the latter of course in a adapter, are acceptable, a KIA branded cards is not necessary.

The version # on my download is not exactly as described in the pdf documents that come with the download, but who is to squabble at this point…

View attachment 42367
The download is the most painful part of the experience. It took me three tries to get it. Stalled at 9% the first time, 63% the second time and the third time took 3.5 hours and was crawling at under 2.0 mb/sec at the end but finished.

I didn’t realize you could keep your download progress by clicking the setup file so I was starting over each time by closing the software, restarting it from my desktop shortcut and entering my order#. Will try your method next time.

They obviously have and issue with their servers as the speed diminishes steadily after a certain point and never increases until it either stalls or finishes.

Last edited:

moinmoin

1000 Posts Club!
Ontario, Canada
the speed diminishes steadily
Exactly my experience the first time around...too many restarts until it reached about 42% and then thereafter continued to the finish, with steadily decreasing speed.
Fortunately, I have a much faster Rogers line available up north, and after a bit of travel tried it ther on my laptop.
As I said 2 1/4 hrs. and no restart.
Since I had the update already "in the bag", just for the fun of it, I used my VPN and routed it through a German server. So it is a line speed issue, and I agree, there's something wrong with the MnSOFT servers and/or the the (speed) requirements are set too high.
I've seen downloads being cancelled at originating servers when speeds got too low, say when there were too many simultaneous downloads on the same connection. But on my first download, I made sure that I had the full capacity dedicated to it. And it still turned out to be ridiculously slow. Anyway, we now know what to expect.