Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Is Practically Giving Away Stingers

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by LaserJet, May 7, 2019.

1. LaserJet

LaserJet Australia Member

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

I'd read that this morning. Doesn't bode well for resale or trade-in value. They still like the car, though.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

There isn't anything revelatory in this. It comes down to resale value? Not for me. Kia is pushing awareness of the Stinger, because awareness is what the purpose is: "Kia is Here."

4. Bill B

Bill B United States Newish Member

I think the author of the article puts too much faith in the honesty of the dealer's on-line prices.
    I found that not a single dealer in northern chicagoland would sell a Stinger to me at anything close to their on-line prices.
    Discussions got heated. It took me awhile to learn that the Chicagoland dealers, with their low on-line prices, were simply competing to get me into their showrooms. They had no intention of of selling anywhere near the on-line prices.

I almost gave up on Kia as a brand, never before having experienced such dishonesty.

I finally bought my stinger from a reputable dealer in Wisconsin. A dealership with good people. Not reptiles such as my experience in Chicagoland.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

I've never seen an ad in print, on radio or on TV for a stinger. Exactly how are they pushing stingers?

6. Bill B

The chicagoland dealers list the inventory on-line at up to $10,000 below MSRP.
    however, none of the salemen, or sales manager, will sell it for close to that price.
    No one would answer me when I said I want to buy a 2019 GT2 today for the on-line price.
    The actual price they push, once in the showroom, is closer to MSRP.
    For an endless list of reasons I am not suitable for their on-line prices.
    I doubt anyone is suitable for the on-line prices.

The Wisconsin dealers did not play these games.

7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Agree. The reason why I disbelieve these amazing "offers" is that my dealer only posts realistic dealer discount pricing, which fits in with the total of their discount combined with the lease incentive.

8. Ruturaj

Ruturaj United States 1000 Posts Club!

Similar experience in Raleigh. Dealer had posted a price which wasn't super low but alright for 2018 model in December. I was hoping to negotiate on that. When I went there he gave me MSRP pricing and I showed him online price, he said that it included all incentives. I asked him to show me how (I had remembered all number/incentives), he wasn't interested. Many people paid a lot lower from the same dealer, may be I didn't look like I can afford it to them.

9. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

Jalopnik is a cesspoll of automotive journalism. The $2k conquest deal has been around for a long time and the $2k cash back with financing deal is very very vague. "Select Stinger VINs" uhhh ok, no clue what models are actually included in that. Best case scenario that's an extra $2k off that wasn't there before, yeah, Kia is just "giving" them away, a whole $4k off MSRP for select VINs lmao...

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. ElChanclo

ElChanclo Canada Active Member

Giving them away! unless you come to pick one up, then it's MSRP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

Stinger adds on the tube in Vancouver, so likely also Bellingham and Seattle area as well. Granted they are few and far between and brief. Not that I watch a lot of commercials.

12. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

There's plenty of ppl on here that have purchased cars $5k+ below MSRP. I don't think the article is wrong. I believe the author is just bringing attention that there are good deals to be had.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Doel

10% off is a good deal, no question, but it's been that way for a long term and is hardly "giving them away". Imagine if a store had a sign that said "Massive liquidation! We're practically giving everything away!" Then you walk in and everything is marked down 10% lol....

If Kia is giving away Stingers, is Infiniti paying people to take their Q50RS's? Those suckers are being sold at 15% off MSRP or more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Someone here managed to get a sales prices of $43k on a leftover GT2 AWD BEFORE incentives. That's around $31K + tax, if you do lease buy-out. That's > 40% off..

15. Capital AL

Capital AL United States Member

If you don't mind sharing which Dealer in Wisconsin did you purchase your stinger from. I am in the market for a GT2 AWD and also live in the Chicagoland area. I was disappointed to hear that the dealers around here are so bad.

16. Bill B

Hi Capital AL. I finally worked with Berstrom KIA in Appleton WI. Not terribly far from my home in Sturgeon Bay.

Fair price, about $4000 below MSRP for a 2019. Cash, no lease or financing.

The saleman, John Reed, or JP, or JB. something like that.

A young kid, a dream to work with.

Didn't cause any troubles. Made sure the car was perfect before I picked it up. It was spotless and free of blemishes, took off dealership sticker, made sure front license holder was not mounted. Did all the setup with me to make sure the setting were exactly the way I liked them, and made valuable recommendations based on his experience. I was not familiar with modern car electronics, or even smart phone bluetooth, so his efforts were very helpful. Even mounted the rear license plate anticipating I would not want the silly dealership frame.

As good an experience as a BMW dealership, maybe better.

Great kid. I would trust him with my daughters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bill B

FYI Capital AL.

I also tried the Consumer Reports buying service and had the Chicagoland dealers submit bids against each other.
    There were no dealers in NE wisconsin that participated in the program, is why I focused on Chicagoland.

I got no good bids. A few firm prices of around $5000 below MSRP or 2018 MY.

Good luck.

18. Capital AL

Thank you very much for the recommendation, That dealer is quite far from me being in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. Although if they are anywhere near as good as you say they are it might be worth the trip. It is very important to me that the car is perfect and most importantly that they won't install a front license plant or bracket, which I am afraid most dealers in Illinois will since front license plates are required by law here. Thank you once again, and once I am ready to purchase one I will definitely give them a call.

19. Doel

and that's one car that we know nothing about that a dealer got rid of, hardly "Kia giving them away". I've seen dealer buy backs, dealer demos, "brand new" cars with body work of all kinds go for cheap.

20. Capital AL

I am hoping to get a 2019 GT2 AWD for no more than $40,000 before fees and taxes. Which is why I will be waiting until late this year or early next year, when prices will be lower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted