1. The Kia Stinger Owners Group is a private community. Please login or register to unlock the full content.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Execs Want People to Stop Being Ashamed of Driving Kias

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Jenna Choe, Apr 14, 2017.

I am and will be proud of driving Kia with Kia badge

1. Yes I am and will be

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No, will swap the badge out immediately

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Jenna Choe

Jenna Choe New Member

2. hej

hej Active Member Founding Member

Reputations take a while to change, and I think the Stinger will put them on the path to doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. seanmccubb

seanmccubb Member

I think there should be a third option...

"Proud to drive a Kia but doesn't like the current badge"

I have no shame in saying I drive a Kia, but I have swapped my badge on my Forte.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger Administrator Staff Member

On agree on both counts... Hyundai owners loved that winged Genesis badge and did the same with their cars but most said they had no issue with driving a Hyundai. In fact, like Lexus owners many years back, people felt good about driving the car/brand that offered the better value. Hyundai offered an amazing value with the Genesis coupe and sedan and now Kia does the same with it's luxury products. It's not "KIA" that needs improvement - it's the design of the logo that does...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bamm1

Bamm1 Active Member Founding Member

I agree with all of the previous posters. I don't think people are changing the badge to "trick" people into thinking it's another brand. The badge just doesn't look good.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jay M

Jay M New Member

It seems Kia is kind of confused as an organization. In their homeland they are badging the Stinger with an "E". They want to denote the car is special more than the regular Kia at home. Why don't they think the same would be true elsewhere. The Kia badge would not stop me from owning, but I was excited to see that "E" badge and hoping it would be coming to the US.

7. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry, Jay. That badge will be coming here one way or the other. :p

8. lostnspace

lostnspace Active Member Founding Member

Most of the "shame" or "stigma" of the KIA badge does not come from those who own and the drive the vehicles. It's the people holding on to the old notion that KIA is a budget brand (it is in a good way) and that only people of a certain socioeconomic status can afford/purposely drive (not the case anymore). I think the K logo people use now, its a bit too close to the Lexus logo...so it makes it seem people are ashamed of their cars

In my opinion the look of KIA badge is not stylish. I think a simpler logo or something abstract could go a long way (think Infiniti). I think the "E" badge is an interesting move for the brand and allows Kia to change the narrative for the Stinger and the brand as a whole. However, an "E" doesn't translate to "KIA", so maybe "K" alone would work or maybe some new symbol.

I likely will not change the badge, but I what will change is the if the dealership puts its name on the back of the car lol. To me that's even more tacky the KIA badge.

9. hej

hej Active Member Founding Member

Hyundai's & Kia's have a stigma because 20 or so years ago they were cheap, crappy econoboxes. They've come quite a long way since then, but many people haven't given them a second long in the last couple of decades because they were so terrible.

As for the badges, I'd rather have that stylized K badge over the Kia oval just for aesthetics. I'd also probably want to yank the "GT" and "AWD" badges off the back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ballistic

ballistic Active Member Founding Member

this will be my first kia and i'm not embarrased at all. i'll probably change the emblem because i don't care for the current version. i think the newer k style also tells people it's a kia. i'm one to root for the underdog so i do want people to know i'm driving a kia but that emblem is sad looking. it looks cheap. what other brand has a logo of their name? at least nissan has a design with their name in it.

11. Bamm1

Ford's badge is just their name. But they have the whole "blue oval" and unique font thing going for them. Still better than Kia's sad choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ballistic

ballistic Active Member Founding Member

i forgot about ford. somehow. but they make up for their cheap badge with a cool dream car like this.
    [​IMG]

13. psybj

psybj New Member

Hope the lack of comfort with KIA continues, should save us $$$$ if we get one.

Bought Acuras before people knew, got them cheap. Same with the Hyundai Genesis. Maybe KIA will come in underpriced because of the badge, won't hurt my feelings.

We don't buy for brand prestiege, we buy for value.

• Like Like x 2
  14. app_master

app_master Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member

Agree with psybj. For now it certainly allows for us to purchase on the value of the car being offered, not the badge. Current KIA brand recognition is still growing. This Stinger model will help/is already helping. I've said this many times before...I'll be extremely happy to drive this KIA, badge and all. Although I do like that new E badge too, but I'm all good without it too, it'll be more about the drive for the price, for me. Why pay more for less?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Bamm1

My only concern around "brand perception" is that it tends to completely hammer resale values.
    With my greatly depreciating assets every little bit helps.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jenny Wang

Jenny Wang Active Member Founding Member

I don't have a problem with the Kia badge but when I see a way to improve on the way something looks, I tend to make the change. I don't look at the badge so much as an identifier for my car. That's obviously more important to Kia than to me. I just see something that can be improved and will want to do so when I'm given the opportunity. I don't tint my windows because I need to. I do it because it makes the car more attractive to me. People don't add exterior mods to their cars because they need to. Spoilers, under light kits, side skirts, turbo hoods. None of these things are needed they're just wanted. That's the way I see things with the Kia emblem. I'll want to update it to something that looks better if that something is available.