Kia Design Boss Speaks on 2021 Stinger.

Dan1028

Maryland
EVs are the automobile industry's destiny. That's a fact. The question becomes timing. It would be nice if Hyundai/Kia had one last big "IDGAF" hoorah, with a new/revised engine that prioritized performance above all else, before taking the visceral ICE experience out of its performance vehicles.

Lord Aastyra

EVs are the automobile industry's destiny. That's a fact. The question becomes timing. It would be nice if Hyundai/Kia had one last big "IDGAF" hoorah, with a new/revised engine that prioritized performance above all else, before taking the visceral ICE experience out of its performance vehicles.
It would be nice but I’m not expecting any fan service from them.

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
It would be nice but I’m not expecting any fan service from them.
Gents , think Taycan , wouldnt it be great if they made the Stinger a performance EV , sort of a poor mans Taycan ?? Sexy design , bullet fast , great handling and tech ??? I'm good with that

Lord Aastyra

Gents , think Taycan , wouldnt it be great if they made the Stinger a performance EV , sort of a poor mans Taycan ?? Sexy design , bullet fast , great handling and tech ??? I'm good with that
Hey WC- yeah, I suppose the green side of me says that would be pretty cool, and I would be all for it if it meant the model surviving. The speed of some of those EV’s can be pretty sick- just ask Richard Hammond. But, I’ll just wind up cherishing my Lambda II GDi 3.3 even more.

TimT

Absolutely, I would have the Stinger in its current design language as an EV anytime of the day, would be in the Taycan category in terms of outside looks, way beyond Teslas.

YEH

Kia may have already gone this route with the production version of the Imagine concept, a "sport" CUV, possibly being the de facto replacement for the Stinger.

But if there is to be a 2G Stinger, it likely will get both ICE and BEV powertrains like the new G80, but unlike the Imagine, won't be on a dedicated BEV platform.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
You don't replace the Stinger. It is retro GT, perhaps the last ICE effort to actually reach back and connect with the original concept in the 60s and 70s. If EV sports sedans look GTish that doesn't mean that the concept actually connects to anything in the past. An EV "Stinger" will be a car of the present and future, with no reason to connect to anything from the "era of the ICE".

(By the way, this was up a month ago. Just for your information.)

westcoastGT

5000 Posts Club!
Vancouver , Canada
You don't replace the Stinger. It is retro GT, perhaps the last ICE effort to actually reach back and connect with the original concept in the 60s and 70s. If EV sports sedans look GTish that doesn't mean that the concept actually connects to anything in the past. An EV "Stinger" will be a car of the present and future, with no reason to connect to anything from the "era of the ICE".

(By the way, this was up a month ago. Just for your information.)
.......................personally , what makes the car move is not the issue of what defines a GT ...........................ICE , EV or Hybrid , its the design visa vi the driver / occupant and their needs that will define whether it is a GT .......................imho