Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

KHARTUNERZ / GiroDisc 2 Piece Slotted Rotors

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by NICK_KHAR, Oct 28, 2018.

1. NICK_KHAR

NICK_KHAR United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 1
  2. JDM_Man

JDM_Man Canada Active Member

This may sound silly but do you know the price of the stock rotors?

For some a price tag of $850 seems really expensive for slotted rotors. Mind you if the stock ones are $650 then it seems like a decent upgrade.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I know that I don't NEED these. But they look so cool. And the conceit behind them appeals to me. I guess I'm a brakes and tires guy!

But, wouldn't the first item of replacement business be brake pads that are racing spec? Then do the rotors.

4. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

99% of people don’t need 2 piece rotors, a good 1 piece and pads is what the community needs. Yet everyone just wants to make the flashy parts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MerlintheMad

You say that like it's a bad thing. :p "Flashy parts" don't get my attention in the "I want some" way. But brakes are more than just "flashy parts". Like UHP tires: who NEEDS these? Who is going 186+ MPH in their Stinger, ever? A "W" rated tire should be good enough; it is rated a whole one mile per hour higher than the speed governed 167. But I insist on only UHP tires. 17# vs 25# rolling disc weight; right there, that gets my attention: it isn't just "flashy parts", it's about braking efficiency and handling. When it comes right down to it, is it possible to have too good of brakes? Too much handling enhancement? Replacing solid discs and common pads with race spec isn't going to break the bank. There are so many more expensive upgrades, many of them providing nothing more than appearance and sound enhancement. Brakes are in a category all their own: they stop the car!

6. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Too good? No. But there is a point of deminishing returns.

If you want the best than these 2 piece rotors are crap, you need the $10k ceramic brakes.

Unless you are lapping your car, a single piece rotors with upgraded pads will stop just as well on the street as a two piece design on the street.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MerlintheMad

That's what I am hearing again and again. Pads are the real fix, not rotors, on the Stinger. That is the assertion that I believe by this point. It hasn't been proven yet: that the pads on the Stinger are the fault, not the rotors. But the evidence points to that being the truth of the matter. "European spec pads" were used to replace the Car & Driver fast lap Stinger pads; why replace at all? Because the US pads are lower grade by comparison. And aren't all complaints about "warped rotors" (lumpy, noisy vibrating operation) from US Stingers?

8. PD_Gunner1999

PD_Gunner1999 United States Newish Member

I got my stinger back with new not cut rotors and brake pads have approx 1200 miles have not felt any vibration as of today...

9. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Active Member

I wouldn't look at this as a necessary mod. It will almost never be needed for 99.5% of Stinger drivers.

That being said, when my stock rotors are shot I will replace them with 2 piece rotors (not necessarily these). Lighter weight is always better. And the initial higher cost isn't as bad the second time around because you don't have to pay for the hat or hardware, just the disc (granted those are probably still as expensive or more than stock). And lastly, it will be a slight improvement in stopping power over stock due to fade resistance, if the chosen rotors are high quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. oddball

oddball United States Member

Right, what's the state of pad development? I haven't seen any pads available anywhere except Kia. Surprising - I would've assumed Brembo would use a standard pad.

11. MerlintheMad

They are standard, they just have a double standard! :p European spec is better than US spec.

12. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Active Member

The OEM part number for front rotors is 51712-J5500: cost is $100.00 each plus shipping = approximately $120.00 each.

13. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

And the a**hole Kia service tech wanted me to pay $150 each to have the stock rotors turned! :laugh:

Damnit I hate those fuckers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hojae84

Hojae84 United States Active Member

This is why I avoid most dealerships at all costs and do all or as much as I can do myself. For me it's not the money it's the stupid sht dealerships do and charge for service.
    Ridiculous they wanted to charge that to turn your rotors.

15. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    OK, we'll put you down as a "maybe" on having the dealer turn your rotors.

16. Jwolf

Jwolf United States Active Member

I expected them to be much more expensive than that since they go with a Brembo caliper. I guess they are the same cheapo heavy rotors that all OEMs use :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  17. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

These are dirty cheap for two piece rotors from girodisc. I paid almost 2k for nearly the same thing from girodisc on my cls63. Only slightly bigger rings 360mm vs 350mm on stinger

18. NICK_KHAR

NICK_KHAR United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 2
  19. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

When are the first Batch shipping? How long for the pads you think?

20. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Thanks for that. I agree these are great for those pushing their Stingers performance to the max. Some of us want a set of rotors and pads that work well together on our Stingers without "warping".

Draft saved Draft deleted