Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Keeping Back of Car Clean

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by l3arbarossa, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

1. l3arbarossa

l3arbarossa United States Newish Member

Hi all, just wanted to see what people were using to keep the back of their Stinger's clean. I've noticed that after I wash and wax, the back end gets extremely dirty very fast from road debris, etc. For what it's worth, I do have a white exterior which I know is harder to keep clean, just didn't know if anyone had any tips or tricks I could use to keep it looking good. Thanks in advance!

2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

White exteriors show less dirt than darker cars , get some mud guards , they'll help a bit , but all cars collect rear dirt

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

It's a common problem along with door sills. I use a Meguires duster nearly every day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JAI-STINGER

JAI-STINGER United States Member

I have owned several white cars, but this car for some reason, the back gets extremely dirtier than the rest of the car. I just washed the car a couple of days ago and I noticed the next day the rear was filthy again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

Drive in reverse......quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Must be something to do with the Fastback design, I have just had mud flaps installed so I'll see if that helps.
    A person did mention that apparently a spoiler helps due to the different air flow created.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Yep. The Stinger sucks dust into a dead air space and it lands on the rear panels (my theory:p). The duster is the best ongoing solution. And I've now added a 1" wide boar's hair brush to clean out around the exhaust stubs. When the dirtiness is pretty much adhered to the paint and the rest of the car still looks presentable, I will get a bucket of hot water and towel off the rear quarters then microfiber dry: usually to the top of the hatch window and to the forward edge of the rear wheel wells. Often, the rear looks good enough after dusting and brushing off, but there is a bit of exhaust fouling on the diffuser, and/or water drops dried on here or there. Once everything is dusted off, I'll go around with a spray bottle and microfiber and spruce up; spot cleaning, literally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Try a hybrid ceramic wax (mother’s, mcguires, etc). I swear it keeps dust down not to mention rain spots.
    Yes. I know this isn’t as good as a ceramic coating. But at 14 a bottle that lasts at least 6 full applications (and the fact you basically spray and hose off to apply)... very good results.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

Then you should give a swedish (salt- & snow) winter a try for a day :D

10. CVD

CVD United States Member

All cars get filthy in the back when driving on wet roads. It’s just a low pressure area sucking all the junk thrown up by your tires onto the back of the car. If it’s happening on clean, dry roads then I’d suggest it’s carbon from the exhaust. I’ve noticed the Stinger is dirtier than most cars in that regard and I’m not sure there’s a good solution to that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

My Mustang did the same thing. I’m kinda used to it by now. It’s annoying, but just something I’ve gotten used to seeing. My wife’s Mercury Milan doesn’t have this problem though. Neither does my Bronco

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stiletto

Stiletto United States Member

This car PALES in comparison to a hatchback. My Focus RS would be filthy driving away from a wash.

I have the Seibon trunk lid, so that may help divert the air differently than OEM. I don't think the rear gets too dirty or dusty.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Paihan Lee

Paihan Lee United States Active Member

Yeah, the Stinger comes nowhere close to hatchbacks. I had a Golf TDI and that thing was so susceptible to collecting dirt and dust in the rear.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rakker

Rakker United States Member

Yeah as someone said already, use a ceramic coating. It will still get dirty but not as dirty as it would otherwise and it will be a lot easier to clean off. I use Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat and it works great!

• Like Like x 2
  15. l3arbarossa

Thanks all for the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one and I appreciate all of the ideas. Going to look into ceramic costing and see how that works out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

It will "cost" you. ;)

17. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

DIY won’t be bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. l3arbarossa

Lol, my fingers are too big for this phone keypad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

Tough crowd, I tell ya'.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

I have noticed that the back camera gets very dirty quickly, and the side ones takes a tad more but also gets dirty rather fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted