Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake System for Kia Stinger GT

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Brian Keenan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Brian Keenan

Brian Keenan United States Active Member Founding Member

Hey peeps. What do you think of this CAI for the twin turbo V6 Stinger? Worthy or no?

K&N 69-5318TS Typhoon Cold Air Intake System for Kia Stinger 3.3L V6

Description: Typhoon air intake system is a free-flowing, mandrel-bent aluminum tube air induction system designed to fit your specific model. The restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing are replaced by the K&N Typhoon air intake which is designed to dramatically reduce air flow restriction as it smoothest and straightens air flow.

This allows your engine to inhale a larger amount of air than the factory air intake. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range. In addition to more power, this air intake system improves engine sound with more aggressive and deeper acoustics during acceleration. Included is a black rubber topped K&N high-flow air filter and a heat shield that installs into the original air box space. Air is directed through an attractive red powder-coated intake tube into the engine's throttle body for a guaranteed power gain.

The oversized cone shaped air filter can be used for up to 100,000 miles before servicing is needed depending on driving conditions. This air intake is relatively easy to install usually in 90 minutes or less using existing factory mounting points. The tools needed are a screwdriver, ratchet set and several wrenches.
    • Guaranteed to increase horsepower
    • Designed to improve throttle response and engine sound
    • Low restriction aluminum tube
    • Easy to install, usually in 90 minutes or less
    • Lasts up to 100,000 miles before service is required (depending on driving conditions)
    • Replaces stock air intake system
    • Washable and reusable lifetime air filter
    • K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty
    Product Specifications
    • Estimated Horsepower Gain: 9.09 HP @ 5249 RPM
    • Air Filter Color: Red
    • Air Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
    • Air Filter Outlet Shape: Round
    • Clamps Included: 9
    • Clamp Material: Stainless Steel
    • Clamp Style: Worm Gear
    • Couplers Included: 2
    • System Type: Complete Cold-Air Intake System
    • Product Style: 69 Series Typhoon Kits
    • Intake Pipe Color / Finish: Silver
    • Intake Pipe Material: Aluminum

2. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

I will say it does look awesome. In my experience though I would doubt the supposed HP gain. Most new cars have sensors that adjust the air/gas input and negate the gain. Now if you were going to chip the car than yes I would get it for sure. (Although it looks so good I might get it anyway)

3. Larry Denen

Larry Denen United States Active Member Founding Member

You're right for aesthetics alone it's a nice addition to under the hood. You may even get a little SWOOSH for an audible bonus. :p As for chip and tune I never really heard that with a CAI. My thinking was that it is just a minor change it could or would go unnoticed by the ECU.

4. AAQUINO11

AAQUINO11 Canada Member

I bought this for my stinger and it is awesome. You can hear the turbos and BOV is so loud. Well worth it IMp

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Need a sound clip please !!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AAQUINO11

AAQUINO11 Canada Member

I will post one up tomorrow for you!

7. Tony Rogers

Tony Rogers United States Newish Member

First of all, let me say, that I think this looks awesome, installed. That being said, I have two issues with this CAI. First, the tubes are aluminum. Metal tubes retain the heat from the engine and warm the air being fed into the engine. My second issue is the filters aren't sealed in any way from the engine, meaning they're drawing hot air in from the engine bay. While they may be drawing in a higher volume of air, the air is warm. I used to have a CAI for my Pontiac G8 GT, from Roto-Fab, that sealed the intake to the hood and had a tube that snaked from the underside of the filter box to the bottom side of the engine bay to draw cool air in from under the car. It was a great design and I could feel a bit more power from the engine and on the highway, I went from 22 MPG to 27 MPG (as long as I refrained from having any fun in the car) I'm buying my Stinger this Spring after the thaw here in Upstate NY and I'm hopeful there will be other CAI systems available by then. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard, @Tony Rogers! Thank you for signing up! Definitely an interesting perspective there and you're probably right. I imagine if laid-out better you'd get more power out of this setup...

9. StingerGTandMe

StingerGTandMe United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Did you ever post the sound clip from your car? I've got about 1000 miles on my stinger gt and would love to do this install

• Like Like x 1
  10. ImportSharkMike

ImportSharkMike United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. ballistic

ballistic United States Active Member Founding Member Sustaining Member

some very interesting discussion here with both quotes below. i'd love to see more input and opinions on both sides.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ImportSharkMike

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

IMHO, an outer material of or on the piping that insulates well from heat combined with an inner surface that cools rapidly would be the best. That said, the only real way to know is to get a reading from the IAT sensors. I'm waiting on news that they can be read through the OBD2 port, but haven't heard anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris from SoCal

Chris from SoCal United States Member

My experience with K&N's hp gain claims is that you will absolutely get what they claim - BUT it might not be at peak hp. For example, you might gain 9+hp at 6200 RPM, but probably less (or nearly 0) in the mid to high 5000s where the HP curve peaks. Either way, I'm planning on putting it on mine - just ordered it today. I'll report back once I have it installed on whether or not it's a noticeable improvement.

I'm also considering fabricating my own baffle to try to direct more truly cold air to it, but I'm not talented enough to do it myself so I'll probably need to enlist some help.... I'm betting a baffle won't make a noticeable difference.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm also planning on installing the LAP3 uncle chips (dual) at some point after 5k miles. I definitely would advise anyone considering installing those to use SOME sort of free flow or cold air intake, and possibly exhaust. For them to work properly, you need to get more air in and more air out. Does anyone have any feedback on how "free flow" the OEM exhaust is? I can't imagine it can compete with the big aftermarket names when it comes to airflow.

Also, I've seen some dyno videos on where they've used heavy duty fans to simulate freeway speed winds (and flow cold air through the grill). Would be interesting to see if K&N is using that technique to 'exaggerate' their dyno tests.

15. ImportSharkMike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. mikeceli

mikeceli United States Member

Oil coated air filters have been causing intake air flow sensor damage, for decades. Even if it gets the claimed 9HP @ 5200 RPM, so what? Plus you will have a warranty issue, if internal engine trouble developed, in 10 yrs, 100,000 miles. Also, you have to clean the dam thing, not just relpace it. If when you wash it, some grit gets in the backside, ino your engine it goes!

PS NOT SMOG legal in cali and possibly other ca emission states.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. StingerGTandMe

StingerGTandMe United States Active Member Sustaining Member

If you noticed the K&N intake is open to the engine bay. Our current setup is drawing air into the boxes from outside the car. Yes you get more air flow with the aftermarket but it's not cold air. Im waiting for someone to crecre a aftermarket true cold air intake then I'll go with that one .

18. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! Texas Stinger Swarm

There are a number of exhaust threads on this and other forums. Only one has really mentioned the OEM exhaust. It was noted that the exhaust tubing his "crushed" in some locations and is seen as quite restrictive. I'm still waiting on decent analysis, discussion, testing, etc. on the OEM vs. 3rd-party with dynos all along the way in order to make an informed decision. The market's just too young right now.

My experience with the cooling is in keeping the air cool, simulating movement, not trying to enhance numbers. It's more trying to get more realistic numbers.

Please keep us posted on what you do and your impressions!

19. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Yes, as @Kazz mentioned above, the stock exhaust system is very restrictive to keep the volume down. The Stinger is intended to be a fast but quiet car. If you want more power, chances are you want a little rumble as well...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Speedooooo

Speedooooo United States Newish Member

I think the stock vs. SRI vs. CAI debate was more valid a few years ago, and only with naturally aspirated engines. With newer high performance vehicles the stock airbox is usually well designed providing adequate air flow. K&N is claiming 9 HP with their SRI, and it does say results may vary. I'm skeptical you gain anything. For SRI vs. CAI there might be a small difference in immediate intake temperature. However, in a forced induction engine you have an intercooler that is efficient at cooling air so I doubt there is any difference in air temperature once it goes through the intercooler. You also run a higher risk of hydrolocking your engine with a CAI in rainy weather. I think stock airbox probably does a good enough job, SRI is nice if you want a bit more sound and a nice look, and CAI is not worth the risk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: